Hi there I am a newbie.

I will outline my problem as detailed as possible.

I have a blackberry 9000 Bold from O2 (uk) but not on BB data plan just my old generic plan.

I have moved the phone over to Three (3uk) and again do not have a BB data plan just an unlimited data plan.

I want to be able to use Amaze GPS & Googlemaps but when I download them and try to open them it tells me that there are connection problems or I do not have a data plan?

I am able to surf the web on the three world browser thing that came with it.

So basically I am not very bright when it comes to this. Will I be able to use the Amaze GPS with my blackberry on my generic data plan and if so how? PLease bear in mind I have searched and searched and .cod files and jav whatevers are confusing me.

Thanks
    05-21-09 03:33 PM
    I am confused, you say you have no data plan but you have an unlimited data plan?

Is this one of those email only data plans? If so, then WAP browsing will work but no real internet apps will be usable as far as I know.
    05-21-09 03:51 PM
    If you have a data plan but no BIS or BES plan, then apps written in a manner that they go directly to the internet for their information will work. However anything written to run the data through BIS or BES will not function. Both of those apps are designed to run through BIS and BES.
    05-21-09 04:23 PM
    Is there a GPS software that will work then without a Blackberry data plan?

To the first responder, I do have unlimited data but not a blackberry data plan.
    05-21-09 04:41 PM
    Any app that will allow you to set TCP/IP as the connection type will work, but you might need to set up your APN settings.

IMO, you are really missing out by not having a BlackBerry plan.
    05-21-09 05:28 PM
    To the first responder, I do have unlimited data but not a blackberry data plan.
    IS getting a BB plan an option? Most services will allow any phone to use the BB plan but not the other way around. I think the ATT plans are about even in cost.
    05-21-09 05:55 PM
    the only problem you should be having with a non-BB plan is with apps that go directly through blackberry's server. most 3rd party apps will work with any data plan. I have an "regular" data plan on my curve with prepaid, and most of my apps work fine, including google maps. not sure why you're having a problem with that one. I never could get amaze to work, though. make sure you're connecting through TCP instead of BIS, if it's an option.
    05-21-09 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD