Hey guys and girls, i've had my Storm since it came out.. However, I have never really played around with it like most of you! I dont have any apps except the ones that came with it.. I guess I use the SlackerRadio the most lol... I would like to know, when I find an application that I really want.. Such as the one that locks the screen when talking (i hate it right now lol) do i just download it to my Storm and then i am good to go? I don't mind reading, so links are useful for me, but sometimes I need it broke down in lamens terms lol.. I am sure one day if I spend enough time here I will learn all your abbreviations and things but as for now I just need the simplified help. Which is the best free application that will lock my screen when I am talking? Or have the ability to lock/unlock it while talking? Do I need some type of "loader" and is that of course free as well? I am sure once I become more familiar with things I will buy some useful applications but I dont want to speed money and not know what I am doing. Lol..

One more I guess HUGE question.. What is all this OS (operating system) talk? If there is one that is just so much better and easier to use then the one that comes with my verizon version of the storm, and that don't have bugs in it, because I would almost certainly not know how to fix it.

Oh well, help to become more of a guru about my phone in the future, but until than I am branded the biggest newb who has had the phone since day one. Lol.

(Oh just a tid bit, I realized my name looked funny after I made it, i meant 'Boosted' as in my turbo'd car, not having a stolen phone. hahaha)
    08-05-09 08:21 AM
    You want my suggestion?... spend a bit of time in the forums reading... all your questions will be answered. That's how everyone does it.

Reading is good.
    08-05-09 08:45 AM
    As far as installing apps, most have the option of downloading a zip file and loading it with Desktop Manager. You also have the option of an OTA (over the air) download. These files end with a .jad and can be downloaded by accesing the link from your BB browser.

As far as OS' go, a lot of people are running 4.7.0.151 on their Storms with few-to-no problems. I'll try and find you the link to it as well as the instructions on how to load it. The biggest thing you'll need to remember is when loading an OS that isn't from your carrier (.148 is the latest VZW OS while .151 is from a carrier in Mexico, I believe) you need to delete the vendor file. It will all make sense when I link the directions to you.

Finally, when it comes to finding an app, you should check out the CB App Store (linked tab at the top of the page). I've used TalkLock in the past to lock my screen ($2.99, but totally worth it) though I now use the screen lock option with Storm Slider (allows you to unlock your Storm like an iPhone).
    08-05-09 08:54 AM
    This will have all the info you'll need to upgrade your BB, as well as links on things like backing up 3rd party apps.

Here is the link to download .151

Best of luck!
    08-05-09 08:57 AM
    This will have all the info you'll need to upgrade your BB, as well as links on things like backing up 3rd party apps.

Here is the link to download .151

Best of luck!
    Saaaawwwweeeet! I can't wait to see what this new person does with this loaded gun in their hand (prior to really spending the time to read up on stuff).
    08-05-09 09:12 AM
    Why does it bother you that I helped him/her out?

Must you be unpleasant? It seems to be fairly consistent across your posts I've read.
    08-05-09 09:14 AM
    You want my suggestion?... spend a bit of time in the forums reading... all your questions will be answered. That's how everyone does it.

Reading is good.
    Same here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 09:29 AM
    Why does it bother you that I helped him/her out?

Must you be unpleasant? It seems to be fairly consistent across your posts I've read.
    You didn't help them out. You showed them the easy road to a fake brick or other issues which will most likely turn into them having to swap their phone out, inturn causing more problems/costs then it would if the OP would just simply spend some time reading first before going head on with a subject they don't understand. It's the simple truth of the matter.... I've seen in before several times.
    08-05-09 09:39 AM
    Now now children, lets not fight. The OP sounds like he's willing to do the research.
    08-05-09 09:44 AM
    You didn't help them out. You showed them the easy road to a fake brick or other issues which will most likely turn into them having to swap their phone out, inturn causing more problems/costs then it would if the OP would just simply spend some time reading first before going head on with a subject they don't understand. It's the simple truth of the matter.... I've seen in before several times.
    If by, "the easy road to a fake brick or other issues," you mean pointing them towards the instructions that I found to be very helpful in loading an OS onto the phone then yes, you are correct. We aren't all as good with our phones as you may be, and yes, it would be a good idea reading through the forums, but his question wasn't, "Hey, should I read through the forums and find a bunch of crap that doesn't apply to the situation that I'm in - which I'm quite inexperienced in already," it was, "Hey, I've had this phone for a while and I'd like to learn more about it. One of the thing I'd like to learn about is OS'. Can someone, who is more knowledegable on the topic, help me out?"
    08-05-09 09:45 AM
    The point Ricky is that the knowledge is already here. All you have to do is just read the sticky threads and just spend a tiny bit of time looking through the FAQs. Perhaps you should have sent the user a link for that. Instead you gave them a link for a non-carrier supported OS (VZW) and instructions on how to load said OS. If he/she fails in that task, they have no other immediate knowledge of what to do. My point is that new/non-savvy users should be pointed towards the direction of spending a bit of time doing a little research on what they want to do and what may be the benefits or faults of doing so. After all, being on the latest and greatest OS from another carrier is not always the best move for everyone. Again, I don't have an issue with you helping the OP one bit, but you can't send someone a running link before they can crawl.
    08-05-09 09:54 AM
    The point Ricky is that the knowledge is already here. All you have to do is just read the sticky threads and just spend a tiny bit of time looking through the FAQs. Perhaps you should have sent the user a link for that. Instead you gave them a link for a non-carrier supported OS (VZW) and instructions on how to load said OS. If he/she fails in that task, they have no other immediate knowledge of what to do. My point is that new/non-savvy users should be pointed towards the direction of spending a bit of time doing a little research on what they want to do and what may be the benefits or faults of doing so. After all, being on the latest and greatest OS from another carrier is not always the best move for everyone. Again, I don't have an issue with you helping the OP one bit, but you can't send someone a running link before they can crawl.

I understand what you mean about the knowledge being here already and the potential for issues. That's why I always recommend that link - in addition to very clear directions, it also has links to other posts about fixing a brick, backing up 3rd party apps, etc. It's kind of a simple, user-friendly all-in-one post. I should've added a line at the end of my post informing the OP that he should make sure to have a good idea they he is doing before startign any process.

I like turtles.
    I DON'T EVEN LIKE PENGUINS!
    08-05-09 09:58 AM
    Also, what do you mean by "sticky"?
    08-05-09 09:59 AM
    3rd party apps go in the little hole at the bottom J/K

Hit the BlackBerry 101 link in my signature. You will find a crash coarse on everything BlackBerry there. Welcome to CB!
    08-05-09 10:12 AM
    WOW, feels like I logged in Facebook
    08-05-09 11:17 AM
    Also, what do you mean by "sticky"?
    I rest my case...

(The posts that are pinned at the top of forums, they are usually ones that new people should read through as they are the ones that containt the most info about the general topic of said forum or subforum they're in.)
    08-05-09 12:07 PM
    As far as installing apps, most have the option of downloading a zip file and loading it with Desktop Manager. You also have the option of an OTA (over the air) download. These files end with a .jad and can be downloaded by accesing the link from your BB browser.

As far as OS' go, a lot of people are running 4.7.0.151 on their Storms with few-to-no problems. I'll try and find you the link to it as well as the instructions on how to load it. The biggest thing you'll need to remember is when loading an OS that isn't from your carrier (.148 is the latest VZW OS while .151 is from a carrier in Mexico, I believe) you need to delete the vendor file. It will all make sense when I link the directions to you.

Finally, when it comes to finding an app, you should check out the CB App Store (linked tab at the top of the page). I've used [(had to remove link to post)TalkLock[/URL] in the past to lock my screen ($2.99, but totally worth it) though I now use the screen lock option with Storm Slider (allows you to unlock your Storm like an iPhone).
    [and again]This will have all the info you'll need to upgrade your BB, as well as links on things like backing up 3rd party apps.

[and here]Here[/URL] is the link to download .151

Best of luck!
    Thanks alot ricky, I appreciate it. I find when digging around I get side tracked by other posts and its hard to keep in the same direction! This will give me more insights of what I need to know about, such as giving me more clear directions of what to search! Thanks again!

Trust me JR, i won't be downloading anything into my phone until I know exactly what I am doing. =]

Now now children, lets not fight. The OP sounds like he's willing to do the research.
    The truth. :cool

3rd party apps go in the little hole at the bottom J/K

Hit the BlackBerry 101 link in my signature. You will find a crash coarse on everything BlackBerry there. Welcome to CB!
    Ok, thanks man I'll be sure to check in there.

*By the way, at least i made this thread in the right forum.. I think.. haha =D
    08-06-09 07:03 AM
    Nvm, I was going to mention the 10 post count thing for no images/links, even though they were only in quotes.. But its not that difficult to weed them out in everyones post. lol, just hope you dont mind me making those minor adjustments.. :/
    08-06-09 07:05 AM
    I rest my case...

(The posts that are pinned at the top of forums, they are usually ones that new people should read through as they are the ones that containt the most info about the general topic of said forum or subforum they're in.)
    Btw, Jackson Racing Super Charged Civic, I have a 2008 FG2 (Civic Si, 2 dr) taffeta white, with an AJP turbo kit, right now at 8lbs im pushing 374hp/285tq at 11.5lbs im 461hp/336tq :thumbsup:
    08-06-09 07:07 AM
    I rest my case...

That's what I thought but figured I'd make sure and ask the great JRS to make sure since she, clearly, know everything there is to know. About everything. Ever. And ever.

Oh, and by the way, the link of instructions that I posted for the OP is, in fact, sticky-ed (stickyed? stickied?).

As it turns out, I usually use the sticky posts to get my answers. I'd just never noticed before because I do a search in the forums (and use Google to weed out responses, then using whichever links bring me back to CB) and tend to read through several threads before I do anything to my phone.
    Last edited by RickyRoss10; 08-06-09 at 01:06 PM.
    08-06-09 12:56 PM
    Have you found the info you needed Boosted?
    Last edited by RickyRoss10; 08-06-09 at 01:04 PM.
    08-06-09 01:01 PM
    Yes I did actually thank you!

So far ive done a few things..

the iBerry theme is pretty neat, the whippo app, shot gun app, protranslate,viigo, and of course my ultimate favorite TalkLock. I just wish i could use talklock to lock the phone whenever I chose too, but hey its still golden in my book!
    08-06-09 01:33 PM
    I was confused at first, thought I had to have a "loader" type app, to load the apps I downloaded lol, until i read through some threads in the 3rd party app thread, and of course the black berry 101 crash course was a great help as well
    08-06-09 01:34 PM
    Just some advice with using Viigo.

Make sure it's set to NOT run in the background when you close it and that it only updates when you open the app. Also, clear your cache in Viigo whenver you're finished and make sure you fully close out (BB button > Close)

Otherwise it will eat through your battery and app mem leading to a a dead battery (obviously) or a phone reset, respectively.
    08-06-09 01:38 PM
    Also, sorry your thread got slightly hijacked with me and JRS' "debate"...but you know me, anything to get a pretty girl to talk to me!!
    08-06-09 01:52 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD