Hi there. I seem to be the only person in the world having this problem; even the support people at Poynt told me my problem has never been reported...lol.

Anyways, I have a BB Tour 9630 with OS 5 and MTS is my carrier...Manitoba Telephone Systems in Canada. The app works fine until I power the phone off for the night then turn it back on in the morning. Here is what happens. When it starts, the weather won't load. This is how I know when there is a problem. Then if I do a search, it starts(the Yellowpage icon comes up for a split second the goes off) and it won't search. I then do a battery pull using Quickpull and the app works again. I shouldn't have to do this.

I have done a delete/reinstall a few times, and I am using the newest version of Poynt(1.5.4.12). I am also closing Poynt properly...BB button and scroll down to close and click. I also have all 3 permissions set to "allow".

I am clueless and the support people at Poynt are stumped too(they have been great in trying to help me btw). I am in need of a BB wiz...lol.

Thanks for any help.
    04-29-10 08:13 PM
    When you first run Poynt after turning the Tour on, are you giving Poynt time to find your location, either by GPS or by your cell tower? The weather won't be valid until Poynt knows where you are.
    04-29-10 08:20 PM
    O ya. I even have the green light in the top right corner.
    04-29-10 08:24 PM
    I just noticed something that might help. When Poynt is working, I get the blue light(cell site location) come on first, then the weather quickly loads, then I get the green light for gps location and Poynt works fine. When Poynt screws up for me, it goes straight to the green light and the weather doesn't load and the app does not work at all. Does this help at all?
    04-29-10 09:28 PM
    Do you have any other GPS app running? I'm wondering if there is a conflict over control of the GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 09:54 PM
    The only apps that I know I have that use the GPS are BB Maps, Google Maps, and Poynt. I have not been running them at the same time.
    04-29-10 10:03 PM
    Would BB maps and Google maps cause a conflict since I have them both on my phone? Does anyone else have Google maps and Poynt on their BB Tour 9630 and have no problems?
    04-30-10 10:13 AM
    I use Google Maps and BBMaps with Poynt and have no problems. I can't think of a reason for your problem.
    04-30-10 10:20 AM
    Thanks for your replies Jeff. Anyone else have any ideas?
    04-30-10 04:56 PM
    I need to bump this so it doesn't get lost.
    05-01-10 09:44 PM
    I just noticed something that might help. When Poynt is working, I get the blue light(cell site location) come on first, then the weather quickly loads, then I get the green light for gps location and Poynt works fine. When Poynt screws up for me, it goes straight to the green light and the weather doesn't load and the app does not work at all. Does this help at all?
    Here's something you can try. I took my 9630 on the balcony and started Poynt. The GPS receiver's view was blocked, so Poynt went into cell tower mode. The weather updated correctly. I exited Poynt and ran BBMaps. BBMaps was able to fix my position. I'm not sure why it could see enough satellites and Poynt could not. I left BBMaps running in the background and ran Poynt again. Poynt started, flashed the network activity arrows briefly, and went directly to green. The weather updated during the network activity period, and the search worked.

Try running BBMaps and letting it acquire the GPS constellation, then launch Poynt. See if you get a different result.
    05-01-10 10:22 PM
    Thanks Jeff. I'll try that. So start BB Maps and go Find my Location...then hit the red phone button and start Poynt. Do I have it right?
    05-02-10 10:27 PM
    I used the Start GPS Navigation command, but Find Location / Where I Am should work the same way.
    05-03-10 08:31 AM
    I tried what you said Jeff, but no luck. Seems to me the app has to connect to the cell site before the GPS. I have no idea what the trouble is. Thanks for trying to help.
    05-03-10 04:48 PM
    The GPS in a 9630 can operate in Autonomous mode, but it's possible that your carrier only supports it in Assisted mode. Here's how to check. Go outside with a clear view of the sky. Run BBMaps and start GPS navigation. Let it find the satellites. Then go into Manage Connections and turn off your radio. Then check BBMaps. If it is showing 0 satellites, then the GPS was operating in Assisted mode. If that's the case, that might explain what you are seeing with Poynt.

05-03-10 05:26 PM
    The GPS in a 9630 can operate in Autonomous mode, but it's possible that your carrier only supports it in Assisted mode. Here's how to check. Go outside with a clear view of the sky. Run BBMaps and start GPS navigation. Let it find the satellites. Then go into Manage Connections and turn off your radio. Then check BBMaps. If it is showing 0 satellites, then the GPS was operating in Assisted mode. If that's the case, that might explain what you are seeing with Poynt.

I don't see a radio option in manage connections. What do I do now?
    05-03-10 10:02 PM
    Ever since I downloaded & installed the latest version of Poynt, it has yet to work correctly like all of the previous versions on my Bold 9000. I have yet to get a GPS lock with it, although all previous version did so quickly. I have BB maps, Google Maps, Bing & Google Apps and they ALL get a GPS lock. I've done the usual battery pull, double check the Permissions, etcetera and I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times and I cannot get a GPS lock with it. I went to the m.poynt.com site to see if I could download the previous version, but there is no link to previous versions or at least I couldn't find it. Anyway, I've since uninstalled it.

Did you e-mail the support people at Poynt?
    05-03-10 10:04 PM
    I don't see a radio option in manage connections. What do I do now?
    Sorry, I was too generic in my instructions. In Manage Connections, uncheck the box for Mobile Networks. That will turn off your cellular radio.

05-03-10 10:11 PM

Hey Jeff. I did what you said and the number of satellites stayed the same(11) and the GPS was working.
    05-04-10 12:23 AM
    It's good to know your GPS is working normally in Autonomous mode, but no help in solving your problem. I'm out of ideas. If you have any coworkers or friends with Tours, see if you can persuade one of them to install Poynt. If theirs works, compare settings.

As a work-around, since the problem only occurs when you turn your device off and back on again, just avoid turning it off. I never turn mine off.
    05-04-10 12:12 PM
    It's good to know your GPS is working normally in Autonomous mode, but no help in solving your problem. I'm out of ideas. If you have any coworkers or friends with Tours, see if you can persuade one of them to install Poynt. If theirs works, compare settings.

As a work-around, since the problem only occurs when you turn your device off and back on again, just avoid turning it off. I never turn mine off.
    Thanks Jeff. I think I know someone with a Tour; I was thinking about asking them to do that.

I also have the problem when I leave the phone on overnight too. When the phone is left on and not touched for a few hours doesn't it automatically turn itself off to save the battery? I have never scheduled automatic shutdowns, but now I'm wondering if there is a default setting? How can I check?
    05-04-10 04:32 PM
    Thanks Jeff. I think I know someone with a Tour; I was thinking about asking them to do that.

I also have the problem when I leave the phone on overnight too. When the phone is left on and not touched for a few hours doesn't it automatically turn itself off to save the battery? I have never scheduled automatic shutdowns, but now I'm wondering if there is a default setting? How can I check?
    I leave my phone on charge overnight. It never shuts off. Leaving your phone on charge won't hurt it. I put it in bedside mode using a charging cradle, which makes for a handy clock and mutes the messaging alerts.

You can schedule the automatic on / off at Options / Auto On/Off. I've never used them.
    05-04-10 04:53 PM
    You can check the Auto On/Off in Options like Jeff mentioned or do you have any 3rd party apps that may be causing this? What your saying is that if you leave your Tour untouched for a few hours it will automatically shut itself off? And it's not the fact that the battery is dead, right?

Personally, I charge my phone every night. On the charger when I go to bed and off as soon as I wake up. It lasts me throughout the day that way and it stays on all night that way too - in Bedside Mode charging. Not sure if this is any help or not though lol
    05-04-10 04:55 PM
    Thanks Jeff and Jay. I don't think the phone was shutting itself off; I don't have auto shut off scheduled. I just know I had the problem with Poynt when I left the phone untouched overnight. My battery has never died on me. I'm going to try the leaving it plugged in overnight thing. I have never done this. This is my first smartphone and I've only had it for a month, so I am learning. Thanks for the help.
    05-04-10 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD