Ok here's the deal I understand that it is something like letting everyone know tid bits like what you are doing etc. But what I don't understand is exactly how it works. That is to say does everyone using twitter get the tid bits everyone they follow writes like an IM client gets IMs? So you can instantly be socializing or planning things etc? Or is it like facebook feed and you have to check it frequently to see what people are saying etc? I've not been using facebook for very long and the facebook feed is clunky so you miss a lot of stuff if you don't check it multiple times a day. This is primarily a problem because they as far as I'm aware have no way of live tracking the feed outside of visiting the facebook website. And even when on the site you need to refresh the page to see new stuff after you go back and look through the history. In a nut shell it just doesn't work for communication as a group. What I'm hoping is that if my friends and I all use twitter we can coordinate and organize social activities etc better through it. But if this requires people to have to fumble around like with how facebooks feed works it isn't going to be what I need.

Ok with that said what is the best app for the BB and for the PC. Eventually I will need it on the palm pre as well if i decide to start using twitter but there probably won't be details in that regard until almost launch of the device or later. I hear twirl is the best PC app. But searching the forums here the info is scattered all over the place so I'd like it if everyone can point out pros and cons of the app they feel is the best so that I can decide what one I will try.
    04-17-09 09:10 AM
    Basically, ppl who follow you can see what you update. You see their updates by following them. Depending on which twitter app you run, you can get notifications when someone replies to you on twitter, or sends you a Direct Message (like a pm on cb).

I use SocialScope on my bb now. I've seen ppl use Twitterberry, TinyTwitter, Ubertwitter, etc etc etc. You can just always go to twitter.com too.
    04-17-09 09:13 AM
    Basically if you look at the current facebook feed, thats pretty much based on twitter. Your twitter feed will be your own updates + updates from people you follow. Depending on your taste/interests, you will want to build a feed which does what you want from twitter.

For example, I'm a big NBA fan and I like to keep updated on my favorite teams. Blogs are a great way to do this, but sometimes I just want a little info like breaking news, behind the scene pics etc so I've followed a bunch of bloggers/nba people and you aggregate info like that.

Besides that you can participate in group discussions and make your voice heard by doing so. Twitter is an interesting place and it definitely takes getting used to i'd say, but its pretty fun/informative once you grasp it.

As for the app, I was a twitter berry user but I found it quite clunky so I switched to tinytwitter and I love the UI as well as the functionality. I hear the new twitter berry isn't bad, so I'd suggest trying any one of them. If you intend on posting pictures and stuff then use twitter berry because it allows access to twitpic which is used to post pictures on twitter.
    04-17-09 09:19 AM
    So it doesn't work like IMs or perhaps even SMS but instead of to one person everyone is sending it to everyone? I'm just wondering if my friends and I use it, they will be instantly aware that I've said something or if it requires them to take an active roll in checking the app all the time like having to check facebook website or email to see what people say, post etc? The problem we are having right now is people don't check facebook or their email constantly so it is near impossible to organize and coordinate social activities. However we all have some sort of cell phone or at least most of us do so but not everyone has SMS (those that don't block all so that they don't get usage charges). Calling everyone on the phone is also a pain when you have like typically more than 8 people involved because you need to call each person to relay and new detail that comes up from the previous conversation. I'm basically in a crazy pickle on communicating with everyone at the same time without having to use multiple different methods of contact.

Oh also meant to ask can facebook feed be integrated into twitter so I can follow it on twitter?
    04-17-09 09:28 AM
    Its actually vice versa, you can integrate twitter into your facebook but I dont think it goes the other way around.

There are many additional websites to twitter that use your twitter feeds and can send SMS alerts to you. So say you want to notify your friends about something, you can probably do that.

Try this website. Twe2 - Get your Twitter Alerts via SMS worldwide for Free

I have not used it personally but I have heard of it.
    04-17-09 09:58 AM
    I went ahead and setup an account and invited all of my friends to join. So far none have signed up grrrrr. It appears that it could work better than using facebook but perhaps it is going to take a combination of methods still
    04-18-09 10:01 AM
    My Twitter Solution:
    SMS Updates from Miley Cyrus (the only person I follow)
    No app needed, no waiting for TwitterBerry or whatever to "look" for updates. Its instantanious. But than again, I am a light user, with no followers, and me only following one person.
    04-18-09 12:51 PM
    I use Twitterberry. I can check it as much as I want, which is maybe once a day. I just use the regular Twitter site on PC.
    04-18-09 08:26 PM
    I installed twitterberry and tiny twitter so far. However I don't know which one I prefer until after I got some friends or start following people to get some usage happening. It looks like tiny twitter offers a few features that twitterberry doesn't. On my pc I am giving twirl a go. So far I like it. I have set it up to follow tweets with the key words palm pre. It looks like I can view others without adding them to my follow list if I'm just curious at the moment to see what they tweet. I've even send replies to some people talking about the pre. I've been contemplating the setting for protect my updates. To appear or not appear to the general public. Any thoughts on that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 08:27 AM
    these social networking sites get more invasive by the year!
    04-19-09 01:56 PM
    these social networking sites get more invasive by the year!
    It would appear viewing others is still restricted by setting that keeps your tweets private. I ran into a few like this. Someone who is set to public who sent a tweet to someone who's not and I get a popup that said I don't have permission to access or something like that.

Anyone know why both twitterberry and tiny twitter are requesting access to s3.amazonaws.com?
    04-19-09 03:01 PM
    so i woke up today to a message that britney spears is following me..=)
    04-19-09 03:11 PM
    I use Twitterberry. I can check it as much as I want, which is maybe once a day. I just use the regular Twitter site on PC.
    Same here, Twitterberry is what I use. Sometimes I hear the update chime and sometimes I dont. I was useing the SMS and my BB didnt stop going off. Twiterberry doesnt give me a sound when someone posts, only sometimes which is weird.
    04-19-09 03:57 PM
    I just noticed twitterberry has a beta so I thought I'd install it. Looks like they added some stuff and what not. Problem is I get an error message that the app tries to open a connection inside and outside the firewall and it won't load anything unless I turn off the firewall. The nonbeta version doesn't do this. Any suggestions? Also when I had the firewall on it asked for a connection to s3.amazonaws.com just like the nonbeta still wondering why.
    04-19-09 04:10 PM
    I had the Brittney Spears is following me too. She must be boredn or flaking out again!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 04:21 PM
    I just noticed twitterberry has a beta so I thought I'd install it. Looks like they added some stuff and what not. Problem is I get an error message that the app tries to open a connection inside and outside the firewall and it won't load anything unless I turn off the firewall. The nonbeta version doesn't do this. Any suggestions? Also when I had the firewall on it asked for a connection to s3.amazonaws.com just like the nonbeta still wondering why.
    firewall problem solved, it is caused when setting to use sdcard is not used for icon cache. as for the connection request it appears this is where twitter stores everyones icons.
    04-19-09 05:36 PM
    so i woke up today to a message that britney spears is following me..=)

i got that msg too! i was stoked!
    04-19-09 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD