so one of the apps that I use pretty heavily on my BB is Skype. i make a ton of calls to Asia with my BB. so when i received my bill, i was shocked to see charges of $320 because of international calling!

am i using the app correctly? i go into Skype - click on the little phone icon at the top, then i hit the enter number button and dial the number. i don't understand why i was charged so much, as i only make international calls with Skype. i deposited a lot of money in my Skype account awhile back, so I was assuming it was being charged through Skype.

i am very scared right now, as i don't have the money to pay for this bill
    10-19-11 03:02 AM
    What device model number?
    What carrier?
    What country?
    Did you check your Skype account to see if the calls were charged to your Skype account?
    10-19-11 06:13 AM
    i have a BB 9930 on the Verizon network in the US.

yes, i did check my account and the calls were not charged to my Skype account. the weird thing is, that a few of the calls were charged on the Skype account - i believe the only ones that were charged, were the numbers in my Skype phonebook.

I'm seriously stressing out right now..
    10-19-11 01:11 PM
    This does not sound too good. Anyone else here using Skype?
    10-19-11 01:33 PM
    i'm sure someone has had this problem. i will be calling Verizon later today to discuss this issue, but i don't know if they will do anything about it. if anyone that had this problem could give me some advice, i would greatly appreciate it.
    10-19-11 02:49 PM
    10-20-11 06:27 PM
    if anyone else has the same problem...

http://forums.crackberry.com/verizon...-skype-539613/
    Just got hit with the same thing on a call to Spain. I read the help file on Skype Mobile and it clearly says "Calling internationally uses Skype Credit, just like it does on your PC."
    12-28-11 05:48 PM
    wow that sucks... i'd read more carefully next time.
    12-28-11 06:08 PM
    What's to read more carefully. Verizon hijacked the call in contradiction to the stated way the app functions. Verizon blessed this relationship with Skype, so they have shared responsibility to abide by the stated terms & conditions.
    12-28-11 06:13 PM
    What's to read more carefully. Verizon hijacked the call in contradiction to the stated way the app functions. Verizon blessed this relationship with Skype, so they have shared responsibility to abide by the stated terms & conditions.
    Agreeing. While they are clear that domestic U.S. calls would be redirected to use cellular minutes, the documentation clearly states that international calls would be carried by and billed by Skype.
    12-29-11 03:25 PM
    Agreeing. While they are clear that domestic U.S. calls would be redirected to use cellular minutes, the documentation clearly states that international calls would be carried by and billed by Skype.
    Absolutely correct.
    12-29-11 03:32 PM
    Skype-to-Skype, IM and global calls from Skype mobile™ don’t use your wireless plan minutes. The same experience on your Verizon Wireless 3G smartphone means free Skype-to-Skype calls and IM.
    Skype needs to update their Skype on Verizon pages because they all display old models.
    Except for the main page while has the Thunderbolt, which is now outdated also.
    I would call Verizon and see what they say, actually, just go into a store.
    12-29-11 03:48 PM
    I talked to 3 separate Verizon reps. 2 on the phone and one senior sales person in-store. I got the same BS from all 3...we have never heard of such an issue ever...no explanation, no help, no suggestions.
    12-29-11 04:10 PM
    no suggestions? even from the guy in store? god, have you tried to reach somebody at skype? maybe they can clear your situation up or at least tell you why you've been charged THAT high
    12-29-11 04:49 PM
    I haven't been charged yet but expect to get one on my next bill based on what I am seeing online with my Verizon account.

I don't see how to make direct contact with Skype. I did post a question on their support forum a couple of days ago but no help as of yet...
    12-29-11 05:04 PM
    just to give you an update -- Verizon charged me the full amount, but gave me a partial refund for the following month since they were able to back date the charges and put me on an international plan. in other words, i was screwed.

they did not take any responsibility for the mistake.

ironically, Skype does NOT have a phone customer service line. i had to do everything through email. they gave me the run around and wasted a huge chunk of time writing lengthy emails and taking screen shots of my calls and charges. didn't get anything out of it.

i forgot about this issue, but then saw this thread and it brought back the horrible memories
    02-22-12 03:26 PM
    I got hit with a $30 charge at Xmas. Had to wait until the bill posted to get anyone to do anything. Got told by first line CS that I had to pay the bill. Asked to speak to a supervisor and told him he can fix it or not get paid...and if they terminated my account I would have my lawyer handle the issue.

I got a credit for the full amount. I will never use my BB for an International Skype call again. I also blocked all outgoing international calling so they can't pull this crap again.
    02-22-12 03:36 PM
    Wow... the after reading this, I think the technology should go backwards and we should go back to stone age. If companies can't steal our money, we have no progress in technology.

Mobile Skype suppose to be an improvement, not a downgrade.
    02-22-12 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD