I'm going from 428 to 517 using app loader. When I get to the screen in app loader that says select all of the programs you want to delete or add, all of my third party stuff that is currently on my phone is checked. Does that mean that it will all be deleted or should I unckeck everything?

And also, Do I run the file from 517 I downloaded before using apploader to un compress it or something? And finally, how do I point app loader to the new 517 file?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks a lot for any help!
    Last edited by bamalamwoahblackberry; 05-05-10 at 11:16 AM.
    05-05-10 11:10 AM
    Whoa--one thing at a time. First off, I'd look at some of the tutorials here on installing OS's, there's lots of good info there and answers to most of your questions.

1. BACKUP YOUR BLACKBERRY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

2. BACKUP YOUR BLACKBERRY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

3. If you're concerned about 3rd party apps, see this. (It's a little dated, but still pretty accurate).

4. "checked" items mean that they will remain on the device. Unchecked items will not be installed or removed. This doesn't matter too much right now because I think you're getting ahead of yourself. If you do an OS install ALL THIRD PARTY APPS WILL BE DELETED. See step 3 above to back them up.

5. The file you downloaded is the installer, so YES, you need to run the file and install the OS before it will be available for installation via DM. You may also need to delete the "vendor.xml" file.

Again, you will want to see some of the sticky posts and tutorials on here if you're unfamiliar with process. It's not too complicated, but you can end up with a big mess if you're not careful and miss steps. As long as you do a backup before you start, you should at least be able to recover from anything unexpected (or expected) that may happen.
    05-05-10 11:34 AM
    Whoa--one thing at a time. First off, I'd look at some of the tutorials here on installing OS's, there's lots of good info there and answers to most of your questions.

1. BACKUP YOUR BLACKBERRY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

2. BACKUP YOUR BLACKBERRY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

3. If you're concerned about 3rd party apps, see this. (It's a little dated, but still pretty accurate).

4. "checked" items mean that they will remain on the device. Unchecked items will not be installed or removed. This doesn't matter too much right now because I think you're getting ahead of yourself. If you do an OS install ALL THIRD PARTY APPS WILL BE DELETED. See step 3 above to back them up.

5. The file you downloaded is the installer, so YES, you need to run the file and install the OS before it will be available for installation via DM. You may also need to delete the "vendor.xml" file.

Again, you will want to see some of the sticky posts and tutorials on here if you're unfamiliar with process. It's not too complicated, but you can end up with a big mess if you're not careful and miss steps. As long as you do a backup before you start, you should at least be able to recover from anything unexpected (or expected) that may happen.
    Awesome, thanks. I had already backed up the phone, and the 3rd party apps as well as deleting the vendor file.
    Everything I've seen though suggests using apploader instead of dm. When I updated from 320 to 428 i did it through dm and I'm almost positive all my 3rd party apps were still there but I didn't specifically back them up, just did a normal dm backup.
    Going to maybe give it a try tomorrow since my cable is at work. If I've said anything here that is catastrophically wrong, please let me know. lol

Thanks for the help.
    05-05-10 02:58 PM
    Let me know if you have any problems. I'm always glad to lend a helping hand.
    05-05-10 03:52 PM
    Awesome, thanks. I had already backed up the phone, and the 3rd party apps as well as deleting the vendor file.
    Everything I've seen though suggests using apploader instead of dm. When I updated from 320 to 428 i did it through dm and I'm almost positive all my 3rd party apps were still there but I didn't specifically back them up, just did a normal dm backup.
    Going to maybe give it a try tomorrow since my cable is at work. If I've said anything here that is catastrophically wrong, please let me know. lol

Thanks for the help.
    Usually when doing a "non-official" OS, you have use apploader, otherwise DM *should* work fine.

Everytime I've done it, I've had to back up and restore my 3rd party apps using the method in the link I put in last post -- they always get wiped out with the old OS.
    05-05-10 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD