12-05-14 11:16 AM
69 123
tools
    tried EVERYTHING but this seems to work! its half way done reloading. i think its wiped but i backed up the other day so no problems. thanks so much!

I also was having the app error 523 error on my phone after upgrading and changing to my old Today Theme.

I tried all suggestions on removing the card, battery and hooking up usb before reseting the phone. None of that worked for me. Every time the phone came back up the error was still there.

I went looking on another forum and someone said that i needed to hit " ALT+SHIFT+Delete" 2x in a row and have the phone plugged into usb and the bb software should open up and let me reload the phone.

I tried it and it worked like a charm.

So, If you are having issues with the app error 523 and are unable to resolved it with the less aggressive methods of fixing it this should work for you.

Hope it helps out,

David

Ps i'm on an 8830 BlackBerry
    03-12-10 03:30 PM
    My husband posted this when this happened to my phone and it worked. Its a long process but it works!
    Search for either the name: tutty312 or his thread is called: Unbrick the Seemingly Completely Bricked BlackBerry
    Hope this helps
    03-20-10 02:01 PM
    I spend 2.5 hours search to fix this problem. I found a easy one.

Download Crackmem by searching on google

Install it on your computer. Go to wipe data on crackmem. Your Black Berry Manager will automatically install the OS again. Simple as that.

Warning: you will lose all your data such phonebook etc.

Benefit: quick way to fix app error 523
    03-31-10 03:35 PM
    Thanks grizz4ever! I tried MCP and the Desktop Manager tricks listed in this thread but none of them worked for me.

Yours did. Quite perfectly. Since we are on BES anyhow, I wasn't concerned about the data.
    04-08-10 10:13 AM
    The problem here is that the BB software is grayed out in App Loader. I can't choose to install it. I'm not prompted to install it, and RIM doesn't mention the possibility that this could be grayed out in their KB03901 document.
    yes the same thing happened to me. Have you solved the grayed out. I know which app caused the malfunction and it was from crackberry. ugh. This is frustrating!
    04-22-10 11:08 PM
    Thank you BuddahBOLD. Worked great !!!
    06-01-10 07:57 PM
    App Error 523 solved aswell.

I recently picked up the Bold but, gave my old 8310 Curve to a friend. Before giving it to him, I updated the OS from 4.2 to 4.5. There were a few themes that were on the device from 4.2 which would not show a preview however, he tried to set the theme to Scribble from the old OS 4.2. That's where the APP ERROR 523 came from. This is how I solved the problem.

First I connected the device to my computer via the USB cable while the device displayed the error. Then I double clicked on my Blackberry Desktop Manager to bring up the program. After a few minutes, I clicked on NONE near the bottom left corner. It brought up a menu to select the source of the connection and it displayed USD PIN: XXXXXXXX. I chose this as the connection source and clicked ok. It will not show as it being connected tho however. But, if you click NONE again, it will show that the source is selected properly. Now, click on Application Loader option on the desktop. Before you click Start, click the ball on the device to reset then quickly hit START on the Application Loader/Desktop Manager. Somehow, it managed to connect to the device sucessfully. If one of the processes seem to take more than 3 minutes to connect (total of 4 tasks) then repeat the above process. The Manager will go through the normal thing of checking for updates but, once that's done, it will bring you to the page where you can add or remove items. I removed all the old 4.2 OS themes and click FINISH. The device was able to reboot successfully and reverted to the default theme.

I hope that helps some of you. Good Luck.
    Genius Sir

I had tried everything with my 9700 Bold using OS 5.0 and Orange had told me it was completely shagged and had to be exchanged, I spent nearly all day yesterday trying to fix it.

Using the same method as above I finally managed to connect to it this morning although it did end up wiping everything that was on the phone, so be aware that that may happen.

1 restore from my last automatic back up which was only 2 days old and a quick log on to Blackberry App world to restore my paid for Apps and all is good again.

Thanks Buddah
    06-07-10 05:07 AM
    I ran into this today and I'm still trying to get this resolved on my 8350i. It started when Goople Maps tried to upgrade to 4.2.0.

Any thoughts?
    07-07-10 11:10 PM
    When did this start? What was the last application you installed? Did this happen right after you have installed a theme, maybe?
    It Happened to me also soon as I installed the "Surreal Theme" on my phone... & I got the blackberry 8320 Curve... & I don't know what to do!!!
    07-09-10 10:33 AM

I recently picked up the Bold but, gave my old 8310 Curve to a friend. Before giving it to him, I updated the OS from 4.2 to 4.5. There were a few themes that were on the device from 4.2 which would not show a preview however, he tried to set the theme to Scribble from the old OS 4.2. That's where the APP ERROR 523 came from. This is how I solved the problem.

First I connected the device to my computer via the USB cable while the device displayed the error. Then I double clicked on my Blackberry Desktop Manager to bring up the program. After a few minutes, I clicked on NONE near the bottom left corner. It brought up a menu to select the source of the connection and it displayed USD PIN: XXXXXXXX. I chose this as the connection source and clicked ok. It will not show as it being connected tho however. But, if you click NONE again, it will show that the source is selected properly. Now, click on Application Loader option on the desktop. Before you click Start, click the ball on the device to reset then quickly hit START on the Application Loader/Desktop Manager. Somehow, it managed to connect to the device sucessfully. If one of the processes seem to take more than 3 minutes to connect (total of 4 tasks) then repeat the above process. The Manager will go through the normal thing of checking for updates but, once that's done, it will bring you to the page where you can add or remove items. I removed all the old 4.2 OS themes and click FINISH. The device was able to reboot successfully and reverted to the default theme.

OMG!!!!!! Thanx A Lot!!!!! I Have a Blackberry 8320 Curve & I followed Ur Instructions An They Worked Miraculously!!!!!!!!!
    07-09-10 11:54 AM
    Got the same problem - woke up in the morning to find error 523!! Reset just goes back to error message. Cant connect to messenger to reload os!! Tried removing sd card - no luck. HELP.......
    07-23-10 03:38 PM

[/B][/B]I hope that helps some of you. Good Luck.[/I]

OK BUT I WILL LOOSE ALL MY PICTURES TEXT MESSAGES TELEPHONE NUMBERS???
    11-04-10 11:32 AM
    It is really important for me to know
    11-04-10 11:35 AM
    I got the same thing. Verizon didn't know much what to do, but my husband did. Pull the battery & remove the external memory card. Reinsert battery & turn the phone on. The phone will automatically shut down when it detects the memory card is not present, this will force a reset - reinsert the memory card & then turn it on. It will recognize memory card and then shut itself off - you just have to turn the power back on. Worked like a charm on mine and blew the Verizon rep's advice out of the water. You lose nothing. (I was about to have to reload the operating system per the rep.) This is caused because the software program is locked up and removing the memory card forces the PDA portion of the phone which is always on to reboot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Word of warning I did this step by step on my AT&T Curve 8320 and it COMPLETELY whiped everything off of my phone. All my apps are gone, themes, ringers, pictures, EVERYTHING!!! So be careful what you try
    11-29-10 02:26 PM

Hey Buddah, thanks a bunch, it worked like a charm. was banging my head for a few hours with the 523 and almost ended up banging up my bb. yours worked finally!

Others.. be aware that you will lose your data with this method.
    Mine is a Bold 9000.
    02-23-11 02:45 AM
    OK figure this out! I JUST had this error happen on my bold while recording a video. Nothing mentioned works and i can't get the newest v6 to use aploader to reset, battery in, out, no micro SD in, nothing. Please help!!! need to get data off my phone even though I've replaced it with the torch.
    03-26-11 05:25 PM
    APP ERROR 523 relates to a part of the handsets software that deals with MMS (picture messaging).

Irrespective of what apps you remove, or memory cards this fault is still going to be present.

I have sold customers 8520's and had them display this error within 5 minutes of being powered up for the first time, with no memory card in.

I have experienced this error now on my own 8520 numerous times, running OS 5.0... I rolled back to 4.6 and got the error again.

Blackberry need to pull their finger out and get a fix rolled out, there are hundreds of thousands, probably millions who are affected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 11:22 AM
    **This will wipe your phone, but is for those that care more about a working phone then some pictures and personal crap that they should have saved somewhere else, like a SD CARD**

Alright, so I tried pretty much everything in this thread, but some suggestions were just too old (2009) and software has moved quite a bit.

8350i on Boost.
    error: uncaught exeption: Index 5>=5
    error: app error 523 reset

removed battery - Failed
    removed SD card - Failed
    removed SIM card - Failed
    attempted to connect via desktop manager 6.1 - Failed
    attempted to connect via CrackMem/CrackUtil - Failed
    attempted to connect via JL_Cmder - Failed initially.

One thing I noticed was that upon reboot, the device would begin connecting to the computer before it was completely booted. Windows detects it, even identifies it fairly quickly.

Well, JL_Cmder has a neat feature, Reset to Factory default. But the best part is that you can launch it and have it begin issuing the command before the device is ready. Make sure you remove the SD Card and SIM card. Mine were out when this worked, so I cant tell you if it will work with them in, or what may happen if they are in during this process.

So I launched the option right as the device began to boot.
    <Make sure to access via cmd and use the -u switch if you are connecting via USB, as you cannot specify switches through the windows interface.>
    *select yes or no for pw
    *select 5 for reset to factory
    *select yes to continue
    Now JL_Cmder will begin waiting for the device. You only have about 5 seconds here before it times out, so make sure you time it right.

Viola, JL_Cmder reported it had completed successfully within seconds, the device rebooted on its own, I pulled the USB cable from the unit, and the wipe menu came up telling me that it was performing a wipe.

Thus, my phone is back, albeit with nothing on it and requiring me to go back through the Boostberry process, but at least its working now.

Just thought I'd share my success story.
    09-03-11 08:15 AM
    Thank you BuddahBOLD, your recipe worked after I installed the old version (version 5, the name of a short download package is 501_b073_english_nomediamanager.exe) of Desktop Manager (in newer versions it was renamed to BlackBerry Desktop Software), I found it at "Archived RIM Desktop Software - BlackBerry Forums Support Community".
    12-05-14 11:16 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD