Look up crack util and jl cmdr... They've helped me out of many jams and reset cycles. It has also helped me out to leave out the battery while I connected the bb to dm. I had dm open before I connected via usb.
    04-12-09 02:53 PM
    When I tried to change to the Surreal theme I got the app error 523 message. Removing the SIM and the memory card has not worked. Thanks for any input!
    05-06-09 07:13 PM
    I'm on the phone with Sprint's world class customer and during the call, I was looking here for the answer as well. Guess what service won? LOL Crackberry is a much better resource than my own carrier's BlackBerry specific customer service department. How embarrassing is that?

To correct the all white screen with the "app error 523 - reset" message,
    I did a pull of my 8GB microSDHC card. That'd seemed to correct things immediately. Try anything you can. Good luck.
    06-04-09 02:34 PM
    I also was having the app error 523 error on my phone after upgrading and changing to my old Today Theme.

I tried all suggestions on removing the card, battery and hooking up usb before reseting the phone. None of that worked for me. Every time the phone came back up the error was still there.

I went looking on another forum and someone said that i needed to hit " ALT+SHIFT+Delete" 2x in a row and have the phone plugged into usb and the bb software should open up and let me reload the phone.

I tried it and it worked like a charm.

So, If you are having issues with the app error 523 and are unable to resolved it with the less aggressive methods of fixing it this should work for you.

Hope it helps out,

David

Ps i'm on an 8830 BlackBerry
    06-24-09 09:59 AM
    well I can say that it's nice to see I'm not the only one to have this problem, altho I'm newer to the forums....... still trying to figure out how to get things working right
    07-06-09 11:02 AM
    I had that screen pop up on me a while back and followed every guide I could find here on cb and pinstack and everywhere else. I ended up finding a program called blackberry master control program. It let me do what the desktop manager, app loader and jl_cmder wouldn't. It only took my whole day off to get my beloved 8820 back online.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 11:30 AM
    I had that screen pop up on me a while back and followed every guide I could find here on cb and pinstack and everywhere else. I ended up finding a program called blackberry master control program. It let me do what the desktop manager, app loader and jl_cmder wouldn't. It only took my whole day off to get my beloved 8820 back online.
    Great to see most everyone got there BB's working. I, on the other hand, haven't been as lucky. I had tried that Surreal theme and the next thing I know my BB is now an expensive paperweight...

I tried the BB Master Control program, the BB device manager and desktop manager, tried removing the memory card, the hard resets, removing the battery... nothing has worked.

Problem is the "523" error shows up before the phone is able to be detected by any device manager.

Any help would be great - thanks.

Edit: Just tried the JL_Cmder with no luck. Keeps saying could not open port - so I'm still open to any suggestions.
    Last edited by UniquelyAm; 07-21-09 at 11:54 PM.
    07-21-09 10:39 PM
    For my BOLD the problem seemed to be the THEME, some app or something didn't get along with the theme. But in order to change the theme you need to switch the phone on. Here is what I did, I don't know if maybe some of the steps weren't necessary or are not what actually solves the problem, but it worked for me:

1. Pull out the batt. put it back in for it to start up (for me it worked when the mem.card was removed and not put in until I got the phone running)

2. when its almost about to light up with the homescreen (you know it when the little clock starts to kinda blink, show up and disappear) I started pressing the MENU button repeatedly, so as soon as it comes alive, it immediately takes you to the menu screen (I'm guessing the problem starts at the homescreen)

3. Now my phone was on (if I leave this theme, it doesn’t work properly, it won't show me my missed calls in the call log window and the RED "NO" button would act weird, and take me to the call log without missed calls)
    I went into the OPTIONS>THEMES and changed the theme. The problem hasn't occurred yet since then.
    07-22-09 12:25 AM
    hey guys i need your help all the shotcuts to different programs are gone off my phone i have to go to my call log hit the menu button and go to switch application which on allows me to go texts messages aim yahoo bbm and the browser. when i hit end i get the white screen with app error 523 and reset. i dideverything from downloading the desktop new software and still nothing what do i do.... please help
    07-23-09 01:41 AM
    Might not solve anyone's problems but I think it's worth a shot...I just read in another thread concerning the new bbm5.0 messing things up and Casper was saying you can hold the back key as the phone is booting and it will enter "safe mode"!!! I never knew and I doubt its common knowledge. Worth a shot!

Here's what it said exactly
    "Do a battery pull and then put it back in, as soon as the red light goes on press and HOLD the back key (to the left of the red end key) until the device gets back to the home screen. During this time you will get a message saying you are running in safe mode. If this successfully works then I would uninstall any 3rd party apps that are questionable. Once you have removed the apps just do another battery pull and it will boot up normally (NOT in safe mode)."
    07-29-09 02:40 AM
    App error 523 solved!!

I found this on another forum - and I think it will work. I am in process right now - and it is scrubbing my device (below, it says that it may take some time).

Assuming you have a password on your device-- launch application loader (the device will be connected even though the DM indicates it is disconnected)and when prompted for your device password enter an incorrect value (4 character minimum) 10 times. This will trigger the automatic wiping and scubbing of device. Upon completion, you which will enable you to reinstall the device software through the DM (which will now correctly display status as connected). Be patient the total wiping and scrubbing process may take about 2hrs.
    08-04-09 04:01 AM
    App Error 523 solved aswell.

I recently picked up the Bold but, gave my old 8310 Curve to a friend. Before giving it to him, I updated the OS from 4.2 to 4.5. There were a few themes that were on the device from 4.2 which would not show a preview however, he tried to set the theme to Scribble from the old OS 4.2. That's where the APP ERROR 523 came from. This is how I solved the problem.

First I connected the device to my computer via the USB cable while the device displayed the error. Then I double clicked on my Blackberry Desktop Manager to bring up the program. After a few minutes, I clicked on NONE near the bottom left corner. It brought up a menu to select the source of the connection and it displayed USD PIN: XXXXXXXX. I chose this as the connection source and clicked ok. It will not show as it being connected tho however. But, if you click NONE again, it will show that the source is selected properly. Now, click on Application Loader option on the desktop. Before you click Start, click the ball on the device to reset then quickly hit START on the Application Loader/Desktop Manager. Somehow, it managed to connect to the device sucessfully. If one of the processes seem to take more than 3 minutes to connect (total of 4 tasks) then repeat the above process. The Manager will go through the normal thing of checking for updates but, once that's done, it will bring you to the page where you can add or remove items. I removed all the old 4.2 OS themes and click FINISH. The device was able to reboot successfully and reverted to the default theme.

I hope that helps some of you. Good Luck.
    08-23-09 11:43 PM
    You'll get an error 523 if a program loaded on your blackberry is not compatible with your current theme.

Figure which app is creating this problem and go from there.
    I have also found that having a background picture that is large- say over 1.8Mb in size- will corrupt the Theme settings when a battery pull reset is done and this background is enabled. Sound right? I get the 523 error and have to re-build the brick again!!!
    08-28-09 07:03 AM
    has anyone on the forum encountered the 523 error after running Pandora?
    08-28-09 07:04 AM

I recently picked up the Bold but, gave my old 8310 Curve to a friend. Before giving it to him, I updated the OS from 4.2 to 4.5. There were a few themes that were on the device from 4.2 which would not show a preview however, he tried to set the theme to Scribble from the old OS 4.2. That's where the APP ERROR 523 came from. This is how I solved the problem.

First I connected the device to my computer via the USB cable while the device displayed the error. Then I double clicked on my Blackberry Desktop Manager to bring up the program. After a few minutes, I clicked on NONE near the bottom left corner. It brought up a menu to select the source of the connection and it displayed USD PIN: XXXXXXXX. I chose this as the connection source and clicked ok. It will not show as it being connected tho however. But, if you click NONE again, it will show that the source is selected properly. Now, click on Application Loader option on the desktop. Before you click Start, click the ball on the device to reset then quickly hit START on the Application Loader/Desktop Manager. Somehow, it managed to connect to the device sucessfully. If one of the processes seem to take more than 3 minutes to connect (total of 4 tasks) then repeat the above process. The Manager will go through the normal thing of checking for updates but, once that's done, it will bring you to the page where you can add or remove items. I removed all the old 4.2 OS themes and click FINISH. The device was able to reboot successfully and reverted to the default theme.

This is certainly less time and effort than a full erase and re-build, which has been the only solution I've known until reading this post!!!

Great assistance!
    08-28-09 07:07 AM
    Might not solve anyone's problems but I think it's worth a shot...I just read in another thread concerning the new bbm5.0 messing things up and Casper was saying you can hold the back key as the phone is booting and it will enter "safe mode"!!! I never knew and I doubt its common knowledge. Worth a shot!

Here's what it said exactly
    "Do a battery pull and then put it back in, as soon as the red light goes on press and HOLD the back key (to the left of the red end key) until the device gets back to the home screen. During this time you will get a message saying you are running in safe mode. If this successfully works then I would uninstall any 3rd party apps that are questionable. Once you have removed the apps just do another battery pull and it will boot up normally (NOT in safe mode)."
    I always wondered if there was a SAFE mode on these things- great tip!!!
    08-28-09 07:09 AM
    Had same problem. Error 523 because of incompatible theme. Tried to reboot without sim or memory card still nothing but 523 white screen. Connected cable from computer to Berry without a battery and it picked it up and reloaded software after prompting to replace battery.
    09-07-09 06:41 PM
    I�m in my twentieth hour getting App Error 523 and 205. Soon as I get home I�ll try some of the suggestions.
    10-15-09 07:16 AM
    Today I discovered the App Error 523 on my Blackberry Curve 83**. Have tried every method listed in this thread and NONE of them have worked.

* Holding the button to the left of red "off" button does NOT put my phone in safe mode.
    * Pressing the menu key multiple times while it's rebooting does NOT bypass the error and get me to a menu screen.
    * Running JL_Cmder to get rid of modules does NOT work.
    * My Application Loader is EMPTY when I connect to the Desktop Manager.
    * Removing the memory card and restarting does not resolve it.

I'm about to chuck my Blackberry out the window.
    Last edited by Jaynee; 10-15-09 at 01:45 PM.
    10-15-09 01:41 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-17-09 11:40 AM

Thank you so much!!!! This is the only thing that worked for me to fix the 8310. ATT told me to update to the lastest version of the manager and that would fix it. I too had downloaded the theme "surreal" but that was a long time ago and haven't used that theme in a while.
    10-27-09 07:31 AM

This worked for me. Thank you so much!!
    12-20-09 02:49 AM

ohhhhh **** this worked like a charm!!!
    BB currently upgrading software **** yessssssssssss
    01-23-10 02:32 AM

Thanks dude. This seems to have worked!

My phone reverted to the default theme instead of that Surreal crap.
    02-19-10 02:50 PM
    thats awesome. im helping a friend with a tmobile 8900 and the same thing happened to her. this works great
    02-25-10 06:21 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD