Can anyone help me with this? It's a 4gb micro sd, and I want to install app's to it, rather then the internal memory... If there's any possible way to do so... I want to dedicate 512mb - 1gb of micro sd to it..

Any help is hugely appreciated!

If it involves a free or purchased app, I understand, and appreciate.

- Le_Loup
    01-27-10 08:56 PM
    You can store apps on the media card just like any other file, but you can't run them from there. They have to be installed into internal memory to run. It's a restriction of the BlackBerry OS.
    01-27-10 09:09 PM
    you have ample app memory on your 9700. I have 20 or so and still have 100 MB free. just use your media card for media-pics, music, vids
    01-27-10 09:20 PM
    Can anyone help me with this? It's a 4gb micro sd, and I want to install app's to it, rather then the internal memory... If there's any possible way to do so... I want to dedicate 512mb - 1gb of micro sd to it..

Any help is hugely appreciated!

If it involves a free or purchased app, I understand, and appreciate.

- Le_Loup
    Can't be done. Blackberries [as of now] can only run apps installed to internal memory. I have 25 apps on mine and have 132MB free still. If that isn't enough for you then you should consider a different phone.
    01-27-10 09:24 PM
    I honestly don't know why people freak out bout their on board memry being enough? The biggest app I've installed has been 1.5MB most apps aren't even a 1/4 of that. They are mainly messured in kb. The Bold can handle a sh!t ton of apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 09:25 PM
    I honestly don't know why people freak out bout their on board memry being enough? The biggest app I've installed has been 1.5MB most apps aren't even a 1/4 of that. They are mainly messured in kb. The Bold can handle a sh!t ton of apps.

I think people are more concerned with internal mem leaks than they are with pp size. At least I am, but with my 9700 I really never have gotten below 90 or so mb free so nothing to really worry about. Plus I'm running apps that traditionally are mem suckers (berryweather, facebook, ubertwitter)
    01-27-10 09:46 PM
    Can't be done. Blackberries [as of now] can only run apps installed to internal memory. I have 25 apps on mine and have 132MB free still. If that isn't enough for you then you should consider a different phone.
    Would you mind to share the tips and tricks about how to make it possible? I`ve read many threads discussing about memory optimization but haven`t find the solution. Anyway, my current condition is:

My top free memory is ~121MB on .423 and now ~115MB on .442 (same moduls removed and apps installed). My details are:

T-Mo 9700 5.0.0.442 only English Language and Input Support Installed
    Removed Standard Addons:
    - Help
    - Klondike
    - Sudoku
    - Texas Hold`em Kings 2

Removed .COD from Java Folders:
    - net_rim_bb_medialoader* (Except for ringtones; ~2.6MB)
    - net_rim_bb_vvm*
    - net_rim_theme* (Except for Precision Zen; ~2.1MB)
    - net_rim_tmo*
    - net_rim_vad*
    - VCastMusic_v50_480x360t.cod
    - VodafoneMusic.cod

Installed Additional Applications:
    - QuickLaunch
    - BerryBuzz
    - Facebook 1.7.0.22
    - Yahoo Messenger 2.5.32
    - Bolt Browser
    - Opera Mini 5b2
    - Google Maps (Without any cached maps, because i haven`t use it)
    - DocsToGo Premium + PdfToGo
    - UberTwitter
    - Reverie D Theme (~200KB)
    Any suggestion on how to add more free mem?
    Thanks before..
    01-27-10 10:11 PM
    Would you mind to share the tips and tricks about how to make it possible? I`ve read many threads discussing about memory optimization but haven`t find the solution. Anyway, my current condition is:

Thanks before..
    I manually delete useless files/cods in the JAVA folder. These include pre-installed images, video and ringtones. Those right there save 14MB. I use my own ringtones stored on my memory card and use my own images for wallpapers and such. Then I use BBSAK to remove VVM files and any other files/cods I don't want or use.
    01-27-10 10:15 PM

Thanks before..
    why do you want more free mem if you have arounf 115mb free???
    01-27-10 10:18 PM
    I manually delete useless files/cods in the JAVA folder. These include pre-installed images, video and ringtones. Those right there save 14MB. I use my own ringtones stored on my memory card and use my own images for wallpapers and such. Then I use BBSAK to remove VVM files and any other files/cods I don't want or use.
    Thanks, i`ll try to remove more cods using BBSAK.

why do you want more free mem if you have arounf 115mb free???
    Hmm, trying to optimize our device is always fun for me..
    Last edited by deadwood; 01-27-10 at 10:22 PM.
    01-27-10 10:18 PM
    Please understand that I have years of experience with Blackberries. Should you delete something you are unfamiliar with you could nuke your Berry and have to completely reinstall your OS.

I take no responsibility for your actions.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 01-27-10 at 10:24 PM.
    01-27-10 10:21 PM
    may i ask what are the cod files for the preloaded ringtones and preloaded wallpapers .i would like to remove those also.
    01-27-10 10:25 PM
    Please understand that I have years of experience with Blackberries. Should you delete something you are unfamiliar with you could nuke your Berry and have to completely reinstall your OS.

I never used BBSAK before. And i`ve deleted all pre installed video&pictures files, games, carrier themes, vvm, vad, tmo stuffs directly from Java folder. I believe there`re still many cods that i can safely remove. 115MB+10 apps comparing to 130MB+25 apps is huge difference. Thanks anyway.
    01-27-10 10:31 PM
    may i ask what are the cod files for the preloaded ringtones and preloaded wallpapers .i would like to remove those also.
    I`ll try to help :
    The top 4 files + net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod are the files that you need to remove.
    Last edited by deadwood; 01-27-10 at 10:41 PM.
    01-27-10 10:36 PM
    to OP, welcome and please search...this has been covered many times.
    Take a look at the 101 Lecture series.
    01-27-10 10:43 PM

trust him on this
    01-28-10 01:16 AM
    is there a way to put VVM on the micro SD?

maybe that is why my BB 9700 has zero mem left...I have a ton of VVM messages------

I am going to use BBSAK to back up the VVM , then remove from device....but going forward can I program VVM to load onto the microSD instead of the device memory?

sorry for the thread derail...kinda still on topic with the micro SD stuff! ;-)

07-21-10 11:21 AM
    is there a way to put VVM on the micro SD?

maybe that is why my BB 9700 has zero mem left...I have a ton of VVM messages------

I am going to use BBSAK to back up the VVM , then remove from device....but going forward can I program VVM to load onto the microSD instead of the device memory?

sorry for the thread derail...kinda still on topic with the micro SD stuff! ;-)

no.

10char
    07-21-10 11:29 AM
    simple honest answer. thanks!

guess I will just back up my vvm to the netbook, and remove it from the device memory of the 9700 from time to time

thanks!
    07-21-10 11:39 AM
    hmmmmmm how the heck do I back up the VVM< and how do I remove it from the device?

is the VVM automatically backed up with DM when I do a backup with the desktop manager?

I have DM 5.0.1.2.0

thank you
    07-21-10 03:04 PM
    It'd be awesome if they allowed us to run apps off of the memory card with the new OS...it'd pretty much guarantee us the upgrade. Can't they create like a lock on their own applications and let third party application makers worry about it themselves? /wishful thinking

07-21-10 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD