Been having some problems with spam and I'm using the BIS on my new 8830. For whatever reason I seem to be getting more spam now. I don't want to add a gmail address as one of the addresses is not too well protected and the people hosting the mail server don't seem to be in much of a hurry to do anything.

After lurking around here for a while I haven't seen many solutions that would help me out. So I searched to see if anybody was using Antair's BlackBerry Spam Filter. Or if there is some other way to get the email filtered a bit better than re-directing my emails back and forth to get rid of the spam.

Thanks.
    09-09-07 05:49 PM
    I have never heard of that. Gmail has one of the best spam filters (free or pay) out there. I think most people looking for a spam filter end up making a Gmail account. They usually forward the email address to gmail and then set that address in BIS to not deliver messages to the handheld. That way you can send from it but Gmail will intercept the spam messages.

Also, may I ask why you think Gmail isn't secure. I have never heard of anyone having problems with it.

If you are completely against gmail, perhap someone else will have a better answer for you, but I am a 100% Gmail fan and use it as my primary email address.

PS, if you forward to Gmail your emails will come in instantly just like the @carrier.blackberry.com email account.
    09-09-07 06:31 PM
    Ah, yes one should read their post before submitting. Actually I don't have gmail and one of my other email addresses which is not gmail is the one without much protection (from spam).

Certainly using gmail would work, I'd rather not do that unless that is the ONLY choice.
    09-09-07 07:00 PM
    Ah, yes one should read their post before submitting. Actually I don't have gmail and one of my other email addresses which is not gmail is the one without much protection (from spam).

Certainly using gmail would work, I'd rather not do that unless that is the ONLY choice.
    Ok, this post confused me but whatever.

Here is my opinion: Rather than wasting money on a spam filter program (not to mention the memory and hassle of adding another program), just make a gmail account. It can be anything, it is free and it works.

Once it is setup, you really won't have to worry forwarding. You can send from your normal email address and gmail will intecept the spam on the incoming side. Nothing will really change. It is just a one time email creation and setup.

I don't mean to be completely ignoring your wish to not use gmail, I just would hate to see you waste money on something when a free solution is available.

Just in case you eventually want to use the Gmail option or someone else does who finds this post does, here is what needs to be done to utilize Gmail's spam filter.

1. Create a free gmail account by going to gmail.com (ex spam@gmail.com)
    2. Set your unfiltered email address (example@domain.com) to forward to spam@gmail.com
    3. Add both spam@gmail.com and example@domain.com to your BlackBerry using the BIS website.
    4. Login to BIS and click the filters button next to the example@domain.com account.
    5. Check the option under "When no filter applies" that says do not forward messages to device.

That's it, enjoy your spam free email! You can now send using your example@domain.com account just as usual, but the incoming mail will route through gmail and the spam will be held from going to the device.

The whole process only take a few minutes to setup and costs nothing. I just can't see wasting money on a pay solution. An added bonus is that Gmail will archive your email and keep copies of your received mail so if you need it is available to you.

Good luck,
    Trevor
    09-09-07 07:23 PM
    What a lot of people want is the ability to declare email as spam from their BB mail app.

I am checking my mail on my BB WAY more than on my laptop.

a one click delete is sort of fun (like whack-a-mole) and it means when I settle down to do more serious email reading / work - all the garbage is missing. (Because my laptop is set to MANUAL email download, and my BB AUTO downloads it - by the time I get to my laptop I have deleted a lot of the spam already)

HOW-EVER...

This system offers no relief from constant manual spam deletion.

I would like my BB to operate as an auto spam killer. (delete BB + delete on server)

I fail to understand why an app like this hasn't been made!

I have several apps that latch on to my emails - REX (connect, idea matrix, todo matrix) Viigo Peek-a-who

Why cant someone make a mail app that works as a user updatable, AUTO DELETE spam filter where the black list can be updated from the BB Mail app? ("add sender to blacklist"

Thanks..

(P.S. having all your confidential emails running through Google creeps a lot of people out, including me)

If there is a NON Google workaround - please let me know it!
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 02-15-09 at 06:15 AM.
    02-15-09 06:06 AM
    Ok, this post confused me but whatever.

Here is my opinion: Rather than wasting money on a spam filter program (not to mention the memory and hassle of adding another program), just make a gmail account. It can be anything, it is free and it works.

Once it is setup, you really won't have to worry forwarding. You can send from your normal email address and gmail will intecept the spam on the incoming side. Nothing will really change. It is just a one time email creation and setup.

I don't mean to be completely ignoring your wish to not use gmail, I just would hate to see you waste money on something when a free solution is available.

Just in case you eventually want to use the Gmail option or someone else does who finds this post does, here is what needs to be done to utilize Gmail's spam filter.

1. Create a free gmail account by going to gmail.com (ex spam@gmail.com)
    2. Set your unfiltered email address (example@domain.com) to forward to spam@gmail.com
    3. Add both spam@gmail.com and example@domain.com to your BlackBerry using the BIS website.
    4. Login to BIS and click the filters button next to the example@domain.com account.
    5. Check the option under "When no filter applies" that says do not forward messages to device.

That's it, enjoy your spam free email! You can now send using your example@domain.com account just as usual, but the incoming mail will route through gmail and the spam will be held from going to the device.

The whole process only take a few minutes to setup and costs nothing. I just can't see wasting money on a pay solution. An added bonus is that Gmail will archive your email and keep copies of your received mail so if you need it is available to you.

Good luck,
    Trevor
    Amazing just saved me some money. My goal today was to head out and pick up an application for email signatures and a junk mail filter. With a little research I've been able to solve both problems with out spending any money
    12-26-09 01:43 AM
    One Question:

Would it be a good idea to have all my mail forwarded to my gmail account? I'm thinking this will make things very simplistic for me since I won't need to log into all my accounts when I'm on a desktop and while on my bb I can just use the gmail app
    12-26-09 02:16 AM
    I have been using this app on my BB Bold 9900.
    It is a great app.
    Now, I am using BBZ10, I contacted Antair who told me that they are not supporting the BB Z10 yet.
    I am looking everywhere to find a Spam Filter as good as Antair's, to no avail.
    I installed Monitoring, but it is like I had done nothing.
    Nothing is topping this Antair app, unless, someone knows of a gem to share.
    Hannah

I
    05-04-13 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD