There needs to be a shortcutme extreme edition with a 400 shortcut allowance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 05:40 PM
    I am working on writing 5.5.0.3

One of the things that I hoped I could address in this new version was to allow user to stop macros by clicking the conv key.

What I found is that, as SCM runs the macros, the Conv Key (assigned to SCM) click is consumed by the BB OS (OS message: ShortcutMe Already Running). That means ShortcutMe doesn't have a chance to register and react on the conv key click because BB OS blocks and doesn't let the conv key click event to reach SCM.
    Don't know what to do
    07-06-11 11:42 PM
    How much would it take performancewise to make SCM listen to a specific combination of keys in the background while the macro is running? Alt+RShift+Q for example. It can't be reproduced using macros, so there would be no conflict. It would be like a topmost layer to get that specific combination. Is there a way to differentiate a key simulation to an actual key press? There has to be a specific event for key pressing.

Last edited by gbsn; 07-07-11 at 12:01 AM.
    07-06-11 11:52 PM
    The problem is that ShortcutMe doesn't "see" you entering any key!

When ShortcutMe runs macros it is in the background. That means (in BB OS design) that the Key Input Events are not sent to ShortcutMe, but to whatever app ithat is n the foreground.
    I hoped that Conv Key click could get the BB OS to notify ShortcutMe (in the background running marcros), but it just doesn't (most likely because BB OS tries to avoid running multiple instances of an app).

07-07-11 12:07 AM
    Have you checked extrakeys? Its an app that makes the volume keys and the mute key act like regular convenience keys at an OS level regardless of which application is in foreground, but there is always an instance of the app running hidden in the background.
    I assume that is only possible with the media keys?
    07-07-11 12:29 AM
    Have you checked extrakeys? Its an app that makes the volume keys and the mute key act like regular convenience keys at an OS level regardless of which application is in foreground, but there is always an instance of the app running hidden in the background.
    No, I haven't checked that app before, but I did now.

It is not easy to assume that ShortcutMe users have that app because it is not free. But since apps like that exists, then I will make that little program I mentioned before so that ExtraKeys (and similar apps) can launch it and it will communicate with ShortcutMe telling it to stop running macros.
    07-07-11 05:32 AM
    5.5.0.3 is ready for download.

New in 5.5.0.3 (comparing to 5.5.0.2):

- No delay before running macros in a shortcut with AppName set to Macro

- ALTPlusKey and SHIFTPlusKey should now be faster to execute.

- Minor UI change in the Shortcut Settings page.

- Added Bluetooth_Toggle function back.
    07-07-11 05:37 AM
    There needs to be a shortcutme extreme edition with a 400 shortcut allowance

Gbsn, you better get Vijik to add a zero to that the way you write shortcuts. You have to be the ShortCutMe king in that regard!

07-07-11 07:35 AM
    No, I haven't checked that app before, but I did now.

It is not easy to assume that ShortcutMe users have that app because it is not free. But since apps like that exists, then I will make that little program I mentioned before so that ExtraKeys (and similar apps) can launch it and it will communicate with ShortcutMe telling it to stop running macros.
    Oh, i was suggesting like using the media keys or something, since that app runs in the background and is able to listen from there. But i guess that way works too.

5.5.0.3 is ready for download.

New in 5.5.0.3 (comparing to 5.5.0.2):

- No delay before running macros in a shortcut with AppName set to Macro

- ALTPlusKey and SHIFTPlusKey should now be faster to execute.

- Minor UI change in the Shortcut Settings page.

- Added Bluetooth_Toggle function back.
    Error starting ShortcutMe_Touch: Module 'ShortcutMe_Touch' does not match codfile timestamp of sibling module 'ShortcutMe_Touch-1'.

This one bit me like a rabid dog because i have no idea what it means, all permissions are already enabled

Gbsn, you better get Vijik to add a zero to that the way you write shortcuts. You have to be the ShortCutMe king in that regard!

Blame the import macro hahaha it made things so much neat and organized by just creating templates and reusing them on several shortcuts. Or creating lots or child shortcuts and using a master one to call them. I already filled the quota ~.~
    Last edited by gbsn; 07-07-11 at 01:16 PM.
    07-07-11 01:08 PM
    Gbsn,

- Now I understand what you meant.
    Yes, if ExtraKeys can listen to key input while not in foreground, SchortcutMe, while running macros from background, can do that too.
    I need to find out how. Give me a day or 2.

- The error message you get sounds like a compiling issue. I will recompile and let you know when it is ready.

- I can see the need for more shortcuts because of the macros and also ImportMacro. I will increase the max value.

07-07-11 01:56 PM
    FYI:

MyOwnIcon is a new app that can launch a shortcut in ShortcutMe. (you can read about it here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...esting-628140/

Those of you who have shared more than one macro with others on this thread are eligible for a free license for MyOwnIcons.

Please just go to that thread and download it. Your feedbacks are appreciated for that app too.
    07-07-11 05:57 PM
    gsbn, I recompiled version 5.5.0.3

Try to download it now. Hopefully it doesn't give you that error message again.
    07-07-11 06:17 PM
    Error is gone, but launch macro is not working, doesnt do anything, its like empty.
    07-07-11 07:29 PM
    Error is gone, but launch macro is not working, doesnt do anything, its like empty.
    It works on the same version for other models than Torch\Storm.
    I am diff'ing to find out what has braked it.

Getting back to you soon (hopefully).
    07-07-11 09:15 PM
    gbsn, I think it is fixed now.
    Download it again (it is still 5.5.0.3).
    07-07-11 09:30 PM
    For those with Meterberry, I set up a macro for device reset:

Display Name: Device Reset
    App Name: Meterberry
    Macro: MENUKey;NavMoveDown7;Delay1000;NavClick;NavMoveDow n1;NavClick;
    07-08-11 08:02 AM
    Is the delay before Launch macro (AppName: Macro) fixed now on 5.5.0.3?

07-08-11 02:00 PM
    Is the delay before Launch macro (AppName: Macro) fixed now on 5.5.0.3?

It is, it works faster now. The engineering screen launches fast. It still takes a bit more than app name on other apps, and by bit i mean probably a blink of an eye, but since i'm a nitpicker i can notice it hahaha. But, from what i noticed its more about the way they do it, since using macros you can usually see the animation of SCM fading out and closing then the app launches, while with app name it opens the app first and you dont see SCM fading out. I guess thats because the way macros are executed. But its much better now thanks. I'm already moving everything with imports to pure macro.
    07-08-11 07:22 PM
    one thing to watch out for with Extra Keys is that it doesn't work when media players are open. so you may not want to rely too heavily on that for the average user. i use Six Tools which is a combo app with Extra Keys built in (same developer) and i even have issues with it and PodTrapper, Six Tools fails even after I've exited PodTrapper.

in my opinion it could be too unreliable to use as an "emergency stop" for a macro.
    07-10-11 05:05 PM
    one thing to watch out for with Extra Keys is that it doesn't work when media players are open. so you may not want to rely too heavily on that for the average user. i use Six Tools which is a combo app with Extra Keys built in (same developer) and i even have issues with it and PodTrapper, Six Tools fails even after I've exited PodTrapper.

in my opinion it could be too unreliable to use as an "emergency stop" for a macro.
    Thats because the app is made like that, it disables itself when a media player is detected running, since media players use the media keys, otherwise there would be 10x more complains from people saying that their media keys are not working. As for it not working there after, its probably a bug and should be noted to the developer.

It would be up to vijik to just let the media keys function as a stopper when the macro is running, and not hook when its not running. It only has to be one key out of the three. Probably the mute key would be best as it doesn't have a predefined macro, unlike the volume keys.
    Last edited by gbsn; 07-10-11 at 10:36 PM.
    07-10-11 10:30 PM
    It is, it works faster now. The engineering screen launches fast. It still takes a bit more than app name on other apps, and by bit i mean probably a blink of an eye, but since i'm a nitpicker i can notice it hahaha. But, from what i noticed its more about the way they do it, since using macros you can usually see the animation of SCM fading out and closing then the app launches, while with app name it opens the app first and you dont see SCM fading out. I guess thats because the way macros are executed. But its much better now thanks. I'm already moving everything with imports to pure macro.
    Exactly.
    When SCM runs a shortcut, it first launches what you have set for AppName, then it request (from JVM) to go to background before starting to run macros.
    If AppName is set to something, you don't see when BB's JVM taking the SCM to the background and you just see the new screen (from the launched app in AppName) coming to foreground.

Anyways, good that the unnecessary delay (when AppName=Macro) is removed now.

07-11-11 12:40 PM

Thanks for the info. Very usefull and on time!

07-11-11 12:41 PM
    Thats because the app is made like that, it disables itself when a media player is detected running, since media players use the media keys, otherwise there would be 10x more complains from people saying that their media keys are not working. As for it not working there after, its probably a bug and should be noted to the developer.

It would be up to vijik to just let the media keys function as a stopper when the macro is running, and not hook when its not running. It only has to be one key out of the three. Probably the mute key would be best as it doesn't have a predefined macro, unlike the volume keys.
    I have got it to (partly) work. SCM (the new version under development), while in background, receives the notifications about the media key clicks. I am aiming for a double mute key clicks (within 1.5 seconds) to interrupt and stop macros.

I have another idea in addition to the above method that could be a more robust way of stopping the macros. But I need to first see if it works at all and then ask you guys to test it.

Last edited by Vijik; 07-12-11 at 05:37 AM.
    07-11-11 01:08 PM
    I have got it to (party) work. SCM (the new version under development), while in background, receives the notifications about the media key clicks. I am aiming for a double mute key clicks (within 1.5 seconds) to interrupt and stop macros.

I have another idea in addition to the above method that could be a more robust way of stopping the macros. But I need to first see if it works at all and then ask you guys to test it.

Woooo, yo r da man broh
    07-11-11 01:21 PM

I know it's designed like that (and i love that it is) just making 100% sure vijik knows this, before he adds some uber extra function that relies upon it, if that's the route he's taking.
    07-11-11 07:34 PM
1,385 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD