While you're looking at that one, here's something a little more obscure, but related. Is there any possibility of killing a background task shortly after boot? I use YouMail, and its BlackBerry app is a resource hog during device boot. I would like to kill it shortly after boot (before the device UI is available) and later restart it once the device has fully initialized, possibly using the requested "scheduled launch some delta time following device boot" capability.
    I added the previous feature you asked about (will be available on the beta link in few hours) so that Scheduled Launching items can now be set to run at a specific number of minutes after a device reboot.

But this last request is difficult and I don't think it is possible to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 03:22 PM
    I added the previous feature you asked about (will be available on the beta link in few hours) so that Scheduled Launching items can now be set to run at a specific number of minutes after a device reboot.

But this last request is difficult and I don't think it is possible to do.

Fair enough -- it couldn't hurt to ask since utility developers such as yourself are often able to work around sortcomings in the OS, native apps, or 3rd-part apps. I will watch for an update this evening. Thanks again!

04-05-11 03:29 PM
    .104 is now ready for download on the beta link.

If the Hour for a Scheduled Launch item is set to 100, then that Scheduled Launch item will run X number of minutes after the device reboot (x is defined by the Min (minute) for that Scheduled Launch item).

The Touch version should have 10 Scheduled Launch items now.
    Last edited by Vijik; 04-06-11 at 08:40 AM.
    visortgw likes this.
    04-05-11 07:59 PM
    I just added a Duplicate menu item as it was requeste by F2.
    It allows you to highlight a shortcut in the main page and then duplicate it (and its macros) using that new menu item.

I will alpha test it and then put it on the beta link.

gbsn, do you now see 10 Scheduled Launch items in the Common Config? And what did you want to achieve by running macro on SCM itself (I ask this to see if that can be done using other (new) macros)?

Visortgw, let me know if you see any bug related to the new scheduled launch feature. Is the 1 minute resolution good enough?
    I did a preliminary research and it doesn't look like that a third party app can force BB OS to run before other apps at the startup.

04-06-11 08:37 AM
    I'm not sure what you guys are referring to when you say "running macros on SCM itself." I consistently run macros to change scheduled launch times in the common config screen. Is this what you mean? It works great for me.

04-06-11 08:45 AM
    .104 is now ready for download on the beta link.

If the Hour for a Scheduled Launch item is set to 100, then that Scheduled Launch item will run X number of minutes after the device reboot (x is defined by the Min (minute) for that Scheduled Launch item).

The Touch version should have 10 Scheduled Launch items now.
    Scheduled Launching for n minutes after boot appears to work as I envisioned. I have Skype scheduled to launch 45 minutes after boot on my BES-connected 9650. 45 minutes may seem excessive, but the clock essentially starts running with the actual reboot (which takes 10-15 minutes to complete due to BES policy, etc.) -- also, Universal Search indexing takes 20-30 minutes in the background on this device with the amount of data that I have.
    04-06-11 09:23 AM
    Is there a version that makes an app screen shortcut for a macro yet?

04-06-11 10:28 AM
    I just added a Duplicate menu item as it was requeste by F2.
    It allows you to highlight a shortcut in the main page and then duplicate it (and its macros) using that new menu item.

I will alpha test it and then put it on the beta link.
    Thanks - it will make experimenting/tweaking macros easier, I think.
    04-06-11 10:52 AM
    I just want to the V for all the hard work and always work on improving this great app. I see how much time you put into your responses and sugestions from everyone that posts here. Thanks a lot for a great app that continues to get better everytime .....

04-06-11 11:34 AM

Visortgw, let me know if you see any bug related to the new scheduled launch feature. Is the 1 minute resolution good enough?
    I did a preliminary research and it doesn't look like that a third party app can force BB OS to run before other apps at the startup.

To answer your questions: no bugs so far, and one minute resolution is more than sufficient.

I just discovered something pretty neat for automatically starting an app in the background. Just add a simple macro to the shortcut that you use for the Scheduled Launching (i.e., Delay1000; ENDKey; but you can play with the actual delay based on your device). As long as the app uses the BlackBerry standard that the end call key moves the app to the background, you'll be good to go -- you see the app pop up in the foreground for a second (literally! ), and then it will remain active in the background. So far I've used this with both Skype and TrapCall so that I don't forget to initiate them in the background.
    04-06-11 11:54 AM
    I just want to the V for all the hard work and always work on improving this great app. I see how much time you put into your responses and sugestions from everyone that posts here. Thanks a lot for a great app that continues to get better everytime .....

Agreed. I would go as far as to say that this is the best app available on a BlackBerry. Really nice work, Vijik.
    04-06-11 03:25 PM
    Thank you guys.

On the other side, I am really impressed how innovative you guys in this thread are when it comes to using macros and other features of ShortcutMe.
    04-06-11 04:40 PM
    @Vijik: I just noticed that Custom System Menu items are not showing up in my menus even though they are properly configured -- I just verified that four entries are turned on. I don't know for sure which version broke this as I have installed several versions between yesterday and today -- currently on 5.3.2.104.

BlackBerry� Bold� 9650/6.0.0.431 (rel 1741), Platform 4.4.0.315 [aka VZW MR3]

04-06-11 06:27 PM
    @Vijik: I just noticed that Custom System Menu items are not showing up in my menus even though they are properly configured -- I just verified that four entries are turned on. I don't know for sure which version broke this as I have installed several versions between yesterday and today -- currently on 5.3.2.104.

Not working for me either :0
    04-06-11 11:50 PM
    Not working for me either :0
    Doesn't work on my BB either

Will fix it soon. (it was working on .102 but broken either on .103 or .104).
    04-07-11 04:39 AM
    To answer your questions: no bugs so far, and one minute resolution is more than sufficient.

I just discovered something pretty neat for automatically starting an app in the background. Just add a simple macro to the shortcut that you use for the Scheduled Launching (i.e., Delay1000; ENDKey; but you can play with the actual delay based on your device). As long as the app uses the BlackBerry standard that the end call key moves the app to the background, you'll be good to go -- you see the app pop up in the foreground for a second (literally! ), and then it will remain active in the background. So far I've used this with both Skype and TrapCall so that I don't forget to initiate them in the background.
    If you want to run an app in the background and you find out that it exits when you run ENDKey macro on it, then you have the option of using the new Launch macro:

AppName: Application A
    Macros: Launch Home Screen

(Home Screen is a ShortcutMe function, but since it is not running any macro by itself, it is fine to run it from your macros).
    04-07-11 04:44 AM
    Is there a version that makes an app screen shortcut for a macro yet?

Not yet.
    That will be a new application that has its own icon and it can run multiple ShortcutMe shortcuts (including the macro shortcuts).
    04-07-11 04:46 AM
    If you want to run an app in the background and you find out that it exits when you run ENDKey macro on it, then you have the option of using the new Launch macro:

AppName: Application A
    Macros: Launch Home Screen

(Home Screen is a ShortcutMe function, but since it is not running any macro by itself, it is fine to run it from your macros).
    Thanks for the tip -- I will keep it in mind. FYI, when the ENDKey macro works (i.e., app does in fact go to background), you will return to your previous app screen rather than to the homescreen.
    04-07-11 10:02 AM
    Doesn't work on my BB either

Will fix it soon. (it was working on .102 but broken either on .103 or .104).
    Possibly caused by the increase in the number of Scheduled Launchings from 4 to 10? The Custom System Menu items fall below the Scheduled Launchings in the Common Config screen...
    04-07-11 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the tip -- I will keep it in mind. FYI, when the ENDKey macro works (i.e., app does in fact go to background), you will return to your previous app screen rather than to the homescreen.
    Agree. I just mentioned that because some apps might actually exit with ENDKey instead of going to background.
    Launch macro should be able to launch other apps and some of the ShortcutMe's own functions.
    04-07-11 04:00 PM
    Possibly caused by the increase in the number of Scheduled Launchings from 4 to 10? The Custom System Menu items fall below the Scheduled Launchings in the Common Config screen...
    It was that plus another change that resulted in that bug.

Anyway the bug should be gone now.
    04-07-11 04:01 PM
    .105 is ready on the beta link.

.105 comparing to .104:

- Added Duplicate menu item (Highlight one shortcut in the SCM's main menu and then duplicate it. using this new menu item)

- The Custom System Menu bug is removed.
    04-07-11 04:04 PM
    Agree. I just mentioned that because some apps might actually exit with ENDKey instead of going to background.
    Launch macro should be able to launch other apps and some of the ShortcutMe's own functions.
    You are 100% correct! That's the beauty of the app -- flexibility to the max. ;-)

04-07-11 04:11 PM
    .105 is ready on the beta link.

.105 comparing to .104:

- Added Duplicate menu item (Highlight one shortcut in the SCM's main menu and then duplicate it. using this new menu item)

- The Custom System Menu bug is removed.
    Still showing .104 for me even after refreshing browser cache.

04-07-11 04:19 PM
    I may be out of the loop or the beta is not open to me - is there a link to the beta?
    04-07-11 08:23 PM
1,385 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD