Oh, while not quite on topic for this thread, I just downloaded the newest version (to close background tasks - I wish you could close the ones that have NO CLOSE OPTIONS). When rebooted, SCM wanted permission to take a screenshot - why? I guess I noticed this the other day, too, when I grabbed the previous version. What's it doing with the screen capture?
    03-27-11 11:23 AM
    Oh, while not quite on topic for this thread, I just downloaded the newest version (to close background tasks - I wish you could close the ones that have NO CLOSE OPTIONS). When rebooted, SCM wanted permission to take a screenshot - why? I guess I noticed this the other day, too, when I grabbed the previous version. What's it doing with the screen capture?

When SCM starts, it takes a screenshot of the current screen, it draws the screenshot and draws itself on top of it. This is done to avoid flickering issues that can make the life of any developer miserable.
    That is the reason why you are asked for permission for the screenshot.
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
    Last edited by gbsn; 03-29-11 at 08:27 AM.
    03-27-11 07:33 PM
    Is there any way to hide the shortcuts on the ShortcutMe menu so that when the app is opened, nothing is displayed, but pressing the proper keys still activates the desired shortcuts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 07:59 PM
    Is there a way to disable Shortcuts from the space key?
    03-27-11 08:11 PM
    Is there any way to hide the shortcuts on the ShortcutMe menu so that when the app is opened, nothing is displayed, but pressing the proper keys still activates the desired shortcuts?

No, it is not possible. ShortcutMe is designed to narrow down the list based on users input.

03-28-11 07:19 AM
    Is there a way to disable Shortcuts from the space key?
    If you set Extra AppName 9 (almost at the end of Common Config page) to
    @@@+@
    Then it is disabled.
    If, instead of +, you enter X, ShortcutMe will launch when X is hit in the BB Home Screen (assuming no other app has the same hot key).
    If Space bar launching is disabled, then the first click in the multi-space click feature can't be Space key.

This was done intentionally so, so that users with other Space launching apps, kept SCM on Space bar and therefore kept their ShortcutMe's multi-space click feature intact.

03-28-11 07:27 AM
    I'm kind of surprised ShortcutMe doesn't have a function for resetting the device, or maybe I'm just overlooking it. I could be wrong again, but it doesn't seem a macro has been made to perform a reset either because I don't think there exists one for the necessary long presses of the alt and shift keys. If I am mistaken, please advise. Thank you.

03-29-11 08:11 AM
    I'm kind of surprised ShortcutMe doesn't have a function for resetting the device, or maybe I'm just overlooking it. I could be wrong again, but it doesn't seem a macro has been made to perform a reset either because I don't think there exists one for the necessary long presses of the alt and shift keys. If I am mistaken, please advise. Thank you.

Vijik explained this a few months ago, he said that the blackberry api does not allow for 3 simultaneous keystrokes, making a possible alt+rshift+del macro impossible to perform as it requires 3 simultaneous key presses. Its not a limitation in the app, as it would be fairly simple to implement using current macros, its the blackberry application programming interface itself which is limited.

There are a few alternative ways to reset, such as macroing a reset application like quickpull, or creating a macro for going inside the engineering screen's task manager to kill the home screen process, forcing the device to reset.

Last edited by gbsn; 03-29-11 at 08:28 AM.
    03-29-11 08:22 AM
    gbsn is correct.

I used to use a macro shortcut in ShortcutMe that launched RestartMe and clicked on the Restart button in it. After Scheduled Launching was added to ShortcutMe, I had that reset shortcut scheduled to do a reset in the middle of the night and I had another scheduled shortcut to launch my gmail app (that doesn't start by itself after a device reset) 5 minutes after the device reset.

If you don't want to use any other app to restart, you can use the following macro instead (IMPORTANT: Check that the macro correctly opens Engineering Screen, clicks on OS Engineering Screens, and selects Reset Device. Those items might be on different spots on your BB OS):

---AppName: Home Screen
    ---Shortcuts: RDE
    ---Macros:
    Delay100;
    ALTPlusKeyESCR; /* opens Engineering Screen */
    MenuItemFromTop4; /* Should select OS Engineering Screens*/
    Delay100;
    NavClick;
    Delay100;
    MenuItemFromBottom3; /* Should select Reset Device */
    Delay1000; prompt Is Reset Device Selected?; /*remove this line after you make sure this macro set selects correct items */
    Delay100;
    NavClick; /* Say goodbye. You can't use your BB in the next 5 minutes */

Now, if you add RDE (shortcut keys for the macro shortcut above) to your scheduled shortcuts in Common Config page, it will reset your device at a specific time of te day.
    Anything you want to do after device reset, can be done by creating a shortcut for what has to be done after device reset, and then schedule it minutes after your reset shortcut.

Last edited by Vijik; 03-29-11 at 09:57 AM.
    ETW11 likes this.
    03-29-11 09:51 AM
    I thought you needed a special code generated to open the Engineering Screen. I can't test the macro at the moment since I played with that screen yesterday and Enabled it for 3 days.

Thanks in advance.

edited to add: Oh, just a query - does CASE (upper/lower) matter then typing the macros manually?

9650/Bold - OS5.x - I do not see a reset device in that menu or other menus. I would imagine killing some key process might have the same result???
    Last edited by F2; 03-29-11 at 10:20 AM.
    03-29-11 10:12 AM
    Macro commands are intentionally made case insensitive. It is done so to make it easier to enter them without using the Macro Editor, and it is done so to allow users to use upper and lower case to make macros more readable.
    If you find any macro command that is case sensitive, let me know so that I fix it.

03-29-11 10:45 AM
    Hmmm, I don't see Device Reset on my BB either.
    I just double checked with the beta tester who sent me that macro a while ago. She is saying that she has that option on her BB running OS 6.

I assume killing a vital process with a macro should initiate a reset, but I haven't tried that.
    I am happy with running scheduled macro on RestartMe.

03-29-11 12:57 PM
    Kill the net_rim_bb_ribbon_app, which is the homescreen. Its usually the easiest to locate because it tends to have a high heap size, so it usually is the first on the list sorted by heap size.

03-29-11 03:36 PM
    Just curious:

Back to my Engineering Screen question: Have you come up with a special key sequence that really opens it up without needing to futz with generating a code using UPTIME, Pin #, etc? Again, I can't test this for a few days since I enabled it for a 3 or 4 day option.

And generally more curious than anything since I usually use the 3-finger reboot sequence. Although, "auto" might be nice since I have found that after a week or so without rebooting, my gps seems to go inactive.
    03-29-11 07:10 PM
    There is an application called jester (google: jester for blackberry) its an on device generator. To generate the code you cascade two shortcuts. First one, the help me screen with a suspend at the end so you have the time to look at the uptime. The second, the jester app which uses an input macro so you can write down the uptime, the rest are filling the entries such as build version with a key macro and selecting the number of days then pressing generate using macros. After it generates you manually input the code by using the app switcher and going to the help me screen.

One way to make this automated is for 1. Vijik has to implement a macro that returns the uptime (using bb api) 2. He would also have to implement a macro to be able to read contents which are in the clipboard so the code copied from jester can then be typed, 3. He needs to create a new key macro that works in the help me screen, because spkey or key don't work in there.

So fully automated would be, using the return uptime macro and filling entries with the build version

Set $time=uptime()
    Key $time
    Key $buildver
    Then selects the number of days
    Generates the code
    Copies the code into the clipboard
    And somehow with a new macro set $code=clipboard()
    Then goes to the help me screen
    And uses a special key type, eskey $code

Last edited by gbsn; 03-29-11 at 08:04 PM.
    03-29-11 07:28 PM
    gbsn, I will check and see if the requested changes are possible.

Currently, I am working on adding day-of-week settings for Scheduled Launching.
    03-30-11 07:15 AM
    Thanks, gbsn,
    Building on the superiority of the Blackberry typing over all the other smartphones, the ShortcutMe macros is leaving them in the dust!
    03-30-11 09:07 AM
    I found a solution for scheduled resets for Verizon users. I'm running OS 5, so I'm not sure if the macro may be a little different for other operating systems.

SENDKey;Delay800;Keyqq000000;SENDKey;Delay800;NavM oveDown17;Keyvzw;MENUKey;Keys;NavClick;

Then just schedule it in the Common Config menu. Beats having to pay for an app that would do the same.

Last edited by ETW11; 03-31-11 at 04:29 PM.
    visortgw likes this.
    03-31-11 04:27 PM
    I found a solution for scheduled resets for Verizon users. I'm running OS 5, so I'm not sure if the macro may be a little different for other operating systems.

SENDKey;Delay800;Keyqq000000;SENDKey;Delay800;NavM oveDown17;Keyvzw;MENUKey;Keys;NavClick;

Then just schedule it in the Common Config menu. Beats having to pay for an app that would do the same.
    Please explain what each of your macros do.

03-31-11 08:02 PM
    I don't understand either how you can reset a device using the sendkey.

03-31-11 08:09 PM
    Pressing Send brings up the call screen. From there, you dial ##000000 (keyq = # symbol in call screen). Pressing Send again will bring up the CDMA service screen. NavMoveDown17 will take you to the line that asks for the SIP password. Password is vzw. Press menu key and save to reset the device. Also, this method automatically bypasses the "changes have been applied" message that appears upon reboot.

03-31-11 08:21 PM
    Pressing Send brings up the call screen. From there, you dial ##000000 (keyq = # symbol in call screen). Pressing Send again will bring up the CDMA service screen. NavMoveDown17 will take you to the line that asks for the SIP password. Password is vzw. Press menu key and save to reset the device. Also, this method automatically bypasses the "changes have been applied" message that appears upon reboot.

Interesting, specially if it can bypass OS messages before a device reboot.
    04-03-11 12:21 PM
    I have made a new version and need someone to test it for me.
    If you are interested send email to support at shortcutme dot com

The new version has a new macro called Launch, and on this version, macros can run after Msg_Email, Calendar_New, Memopad_New, ...(xxx_New) apps that belong to ShortcutMe.

(it has other features too but they are not related to macros).
    04-03-11 12:26 PM
    Is it on the same link you gave me?

04-03-11 01:32 PM
    Is it on the same link you gave me?
    No, it's on a new link.

Last edited by Vijik; 04-03-11 at 05:53 PM.
    04-03-11 02:07 PM
1,385 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD