Many of the newer blackberries have cameras, and many of these have video camera capability.

I think it'd be really cool to have an app that acts as a motion sensor, and would give the user the option to either be alerted, or alerted and start recording video or take a still picture. I suppose it's mostly a novelty, but I'm sure it could have some really useful applications (like knowing when the boss is on his way over to your desk!). Of course, it could also be used to catch thieves, vandals, etc in the act practically and inexpensively.

I'm sure the technology is already in the phone right (at least in the Curve 8330)?
    01-19-09 06:48 AM
    wouldn't you need some kind of infrared sensor or equivalent to detect motion? yeah, you may be right, I don't think the BB's have this type of hardware in them. but, it sounds pretty cool for cheap parlor tricks or demented voyeuristic activities...............
    hmm, what's your motive? LOL
    01-19-09 07:17 AM
    I like the concept. Of course you'd have to have the camera postioned at what you're looking to 'catch'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 07:30 AM
    No no, I believe my blackberry does have the technology, using the camera as the motion sensor. I know PC webcams can be set up to do this so it shouldn't be too difficult.

And as for positioning, the camera would have to sense motion in its field of vie, which can be zoomed in or out. That's a pretty big spectrum so it should work fine. I really think this is feasible with some basic programming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 09:02 AM
    check out this app, it may help you

Mobiscope - Video from webcams on mobile
    01-19-09 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD