Got this email yesterday from Travis @ Grooveshark - thought I would share it to those interested...

Thanks for the bug report and also for taking the time to put together the screenshots. Without going into too many details, I can tell you that the app uses one of two strategies when streaming. The first involves a long running connection that persists for the duration of the entire song. The other consists of making small requests and assembling the data in the background. You may be asking yourself why we did things in this fashion. The reasoning lies in the fact that some carriers limit the amount of data that can be transferred in one chunk which causes long running connections to fail to stream.

If you're on T-mobile, you can probably use the single long-running connection which is much less error prone. Changing the setting is a matter of going into the settings menu item and setting "Enable ranged requests" to false. If streaming still works with the option toggled to false then it's the preferred method for data transmission. That being said, we are still working on improving the mechanisms involved in ranged data transfer. We have an update coming out this week that will offer a full offline mode, optional updates, and a number of improvements to the inner workings of the app. We're in the process of testing things now, so it should be out in a few days.

If you still run into problems after trying the ranged request setting as suggested and the update does not resolve the issue, please let me know, and we can further diagnose the problem. It's also worth noting that we're in the midst of some growing pains in regard to our backend server architecture. The site has grown very rapidly in the last few months, so we have more servers on order to alleviate some of the complaints users have made regarding frequent buffering. The mobile app and the website share the same infrastructure, so you should see an improvement in both as we roll out the new hardware.

Thanks again for the feedback,
    Travis
    01-26-10 11:43 AM
    This company deserves more credit. I'm glad you appreciate their service and efforts enough to post this in a thread too so more people can consider using their services on the Blackberries!
    01-26-10 11:57 AM
    Your app has moved to my "most used", and (as a developer myself) like the contact you are keeping with the community. Thanks for (what I know) is very hard work and long hours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 11:30 PM
    (I tried this app on its launch day. What a POS. Half the time, songs would not play. The other half it would take 5 minutes to load and play the wrong song! I immediatly cancelled my $3/month membership. Emailed GS of my concerns, and removed the app.)

Well this morning, I was in a good mood, and saw a few comments here reporting positive things about the app/service. I decided to give it another go. Oh man, am I impressed. The app is FAST now. I can play what I want within 3 seconds, allow the songs to play offline, create playlists, and even build somewhat of a pandora radio experience. The music selection is great. I had no issues listening to underground metal, hip hop, techno, etc... I'm really glad I decided to give it another try. This is a FANTASTIC service, and well, WELL worth the subscription cost.

For anyone unsure about this one, all I can say is risk the 3 bucks! Cancel if you don't like it. I'm sure you will though.

Great work GS, and I look forward to the future!
    01-27-10 06:24 AM
    (I tried this app on its launch day. What a POS. Half the time, songs would not play. The other half it would take 5 minutes to load and play the wrong song! I immediatly cancelled my $3/month membership. Emailed GS of my concerns, and removed the app.)

Well this morning, I was in a good mood, and saw a few comments here reporting positive things about the app/service. I decided to give it another go. Oh man, am I impressed. The app is FAST now. I can play what I want within 3 seconds, allow the songs to play offline, create playlists, and even build somewhat of a pandora radio experience. The music selection is great. I had no issues listening to underground metal, hip hop, techno, etc... I'm really glad I decided to give it another try. This is a FANTASTIC service, and well, WELL worth the subscription cost.

For anyone unsure about this one, all I can say is risk the 3 bucks! Cancel if you don't like it. I'm sure you will though.

Great work GS, and I look forward to the future!

It works for Storm/Storm2 now?
    01-27-10 11:24 AM
    Oh man, I actually have a tour. I need to change that...
    01-27-10 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD