GroupMe, the ultimate, multi-platform BBM replacement, is now in beta for BlackBerry devices running OS 5+. Unfortunately, it only works for mobile numbers in the States... sorry Canadians. The app has been available for iPhone and Android users for some time now, now BlackBerry users can get in on the fun. The App is scheduled to be in App World next week but you can click here on your BlackBerry to download and try it out now: http://bit.ly/dPjF8O

Click here for the official announcement and photos - GroupMe Blog: GroupMe for BlackBerry Beta
    02-25-11 06:07 PM
    Odd to compare it to BBM. This app seems to use SMS/MMS and minutes - doesn't use data, and doesn't provide S/D/R confirmations. If you have an unlimited texting plan, it makes for a good group chat option. If you have a limited SMS plan, it will take from your SMS allotment. At least that is what I see is happening.
    CASH and evil.bunny like this.
    02-25-11 09:42 PM
    Good point. I didn't even think about that. My comparison was based solely on the group messaging aspect.
    02-26-11 08:41 PM
    Sounds cool - so it's basically an sms chat app then right?
    (can't check it out right now cuz I'm unbricking my phone )
    02-27-11 12:05 AM
    There is a pc client called imgroups.net that uses gtalk, yahoo messenger, and msn. You have to make an account online w a pc or Mac and than join or create group that uses your messenger of choice on your BB. There's no lag and unlimited members in groups

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 12:11 PM
    Anyone planning on using this app should read this excerpt from GroupMe's Terms of Service.

By using GroupMe and submitting Content to a group, you grant Mindless Dribble Inc. a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content in connection with the Service. Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Mindless Dribble Inc. has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Mindless Dribble Inc.’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Mindless Dribble Inc.’s reasonable opinion, violates any Mindless Dribble Inc. policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Service to any individual or entity for any reason, in Mindless Dribble Inc.’s sole discretion.
    Translation: anything you say they can read, laugh at, publish, sell, etc.
    02-27-11 09:45 PM
    pingchat seems like the real replacement for bbm, check the listing for it on my site. Been using it for a while and it is pretty good. Only thing is getting your friends to download it, but when they are on different platforms its this or using your sms plan up
    Last edited by imompero; 03-07-11 at 10:07 PM.
    02-27-11 10:59 PM
    Hi there - thanks for the support!

Just thought I'd clear up some confusion with our privacy policy:

Anyone planning on using this app should read this excerpt from GroupMe's Terms of Service.

Translation: anything you say they can read, laugh at, publish, sell, etc.
    We take your privacy very seriously. We don't read, publish, sell (or laugh at!), etc., your content. The reason that the clause above exists is so we can retransmit your message to your friends - pretty important for a Group Messaging service.

Hope this makes sense. If you have any questions, feel free to email us at privacy(at)groupme(dot)com.

Thanks!

Steve Spillman, Community Manager @GroupMe
    03-01-11 08:20 AM
    pingchat seems like the real replacement for bbm, check the listing for it on my site. Been using it for a while and it is pretty good. Only thing is getting your friends to download it, but when they are on different platforms its this or using your sms plan up
    I think the only downside to PingChat (at least on the Android side) is the ads. I know they have to make their money some way, but ads getting annoying. Hopefully LiveProfile will be out for BlackBerry soon.
    03-01-11 10:30 AM
    I've been using this app for a week or two. It's not a BBM replacement but fits a nice niche, where can communicate with your non-smartphone friends and family (like my parents) in a BBM like fashion.

Even though I'm in Canada, i've been using it to communicate to my US friends. Works flawlessly.

I did see an option to receive message via push notification rather than SMS. I'm wondering if this means you can bypass using SMS on your smartphone?
    04-05-11 10:12 PM
    Also, I use PingChat! as well. Not to replace BBM but to get a BBM-like experience with my Iphone friends.

This app will still be something I use on a regular basis, once Canadian numbers are active
    04-05-11 10:13 PM
    @daynebca - You're correct. We have a private beta that allows you to use in-app chat instead of SMS. Looks like you already have it.

Thanks!

Ajay
    GroupMe
    04-06-11 05:34 PM
    Yes I do. Can't wait for Canadian numbers to become active
    04-07-11 10:52 AM
    Coming Very Soon

Ajay
    04-07-11 12:06 PM
    when will message folder integration work ?
    04-24-11 06:43 PM
    We're working on it. Feel free to send any other feature requests our way at the the following URL: help.groupme.com

Thanks!

Ajay
    04-25-11 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD