seems like many great apps have fell off the gird and died in beta testing or failed to work as promised after release or simply were never finished.

some of the ones i was really looking forward to seem to have dissappeared off of the radar.

edocrab - bar code scanner that worked great for a while that no longer works with .607 or .713 seems to be stuck in beta

cardstar - keycard scanner app that was supposed to store all of your membership cards and then display a barcode for the business to scan - the problem is it doesnt scan

comcast DVR app - its out for iphone and andriod and was supposed to be released on BB in may. seems to have died

skyfire browser - a very exciting browser promising flash support for mobile phones - canceled for blackberry
    Last edited by racinwarrior; 06-21-10 at 01:17 PM.
    06-21-10 10:36 AM
    I searched in April for the Comcast app, and the best I could find was later this year.
    06-21-10 11:03 AM
    cardsnap - keycard scanner app that was supposed to store all of your membership cards and then display a barcode for the business to scan - the problem is it doesnt scan

[B]
    There is an app called Cardstar for this.
    06-21-10 12:35 PM
    There is an app called Cardstar for this.
    cardstar will not scan off of a 9550 screen, which is what he has.
    06-21-10 12:36 PM
    cardstar will not scan off of a 9550 screen, which is what he has.
    exactly thank you... first post corrected

my point is that we have 5 different led color changing apps, 5 different IM apps, 4 different business card scanning apps, a facebook app that sucks out loud.....etc

my point is that there are really honestly only 5-10 must have useful cannot live without apps and the other promising ones seem to vanish, dont work or get left by the wayside
    06-21-10 01:21 PM
    exactly thank you... first post corrected

my point is that we have 5 different led color changing apps, 5 different IM apps, 4 different business card scanning apps, a facebook app that sucks out loud.....etc

my point is that there are really honestly only 5-10 must have useful cannot live without apps and the other promising ones seem to vanish, dont work or get left by the wayside
    i feel like using BB AppWorld is much like shopping at a convenience store. there is one version of everything you absolutely need, and that's it. using the android or apple app store is much more like shopping at wal-mart, 100 versions of everything you need, 1000 things you don't need but do want, and 1000 other pointless things you'l never use .

if RIM really wants to continue to go after the consumer market, they have got to up the ante in this department and offer more incentives for the developers. this includes making an OS that is more conducive to app development and finding a way to make apps work across multiple platforms. why is it that 1 verison of an android app works for every android phone, regardless of screen size, input method, or even manufacturer but almost every BB handset needs it's own version. i won't even go into the fact that their phones are now offering 2GB of RAM, 8 Mp cameras, 4.3" screens, 1 Ghz processors, 720p video recording, etc. RIM will always own the business market, their e-mail and security services are unparalleled, but that is just not enough to motivate consumers anymore.
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 06-21-10 at 03:40 PM.
    06-21-10 03:09 PM
    I'm not a developer, but I have heard that BB is harder to develop for than the other phone platforms. And then you have different screen resolutions, many OS's, touch/keyboard, etc. But I also heard that RIM will be releasing a new developer's tool kit to help. And don't forget that RIM is offering that huge cash prize for the best new "super app". This is a huge incentive that should result in a new wave of new apps.
    06-21-10 03:36 PM
    I'm not a developer, but I have heard that BB is harder to develop for than the other phone platforms. And then you have different screen resolutions, many OS's, touch/keyboard, etc.
    Absolutely right.

But I also heard that RIM will be releasing a new developer's tool kit to help. And don't forget that RIM is offering that huge cash prize for the best new "super app". This is a huge incentive that should result in a new wave of new apps.
    Ya, they announced that last fall. Still waiting...

The prizes aren't cash though. The other problem is that RIM doesnt like catering to small developers, their all about their "partners". I ranted about it before You can read some of it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/rim...ml#post5082045
    06-21-10 03:56 PM
    In my experience developing apps, I actually liked RIM. Well, coming from Symbian, which was a real headache for me. RIM is streight up Java (JME), the tools are well done, key signing is cheap and easy ($20 and a couple of days/weeks). OTA download/install is easily supported. Doing these things in Symbian was a nightmare.

The only thing I don't like is the $200 developer fee to join the BlackBerry App World I made a free app (Cellumap) that I'd like to put up there, but I'll be damned if I'll pay RIM $200 so I can distribute my free app on their store ...I guess that's probably why Android store has a ton more apps. RIM is cutting their own throats with the $200 developer fee, even for freeware
    06-21-10 04:02 PM

The prizes aren't cash though. The other problem is that RIM doesnt like catering to small developers, their all about their "partners". I ranted about it before You can read some of it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/rim...ml#post5082045

Thanks for the clarification and insight. If the prizes aren't cash, what are they?
    06-21-10 04:10 PM
    Thanks for the clarification and insight. If the prizes aren't cash, what are they?
    You can see the full list here: http://www.blackberrypartnersfund.com/2010challenge

A lot of it revolves around app promotion, devices, accessories etc...
    06-21-10 04:13 PM
    Well, now I don't feel so bad for not wanting to take a crash course in BB development!
    Disappointing for you and the other dev's though.
    06-21-10 04:16 PM
    You can see the full list here: http://www.blackberrypartnersfund.com/2010challenge

A lot of it revolves around app promotion, devices, accessories etc...

shao - just an fyi

LIO was one of my 5-10 absolute must haves
    06-21-10 08:01 PM
    shao - just an fyi

LIO was one of my 5-10 absolute must haves
    Thanks I'll be entering it in the Super App Challenge, since theres nothing to loose.

But more on topic one app that I do really love and I hope actually comes out of "beta" soon and sees a final release is Social Scope.
    06-21-10 08:53 PM
    Thanks I'll be entering it in the Super App Challenge, since theres nothing to loose.

But more on topic one app that I do really love and I hope actually comes out of "beta" soon and sees a final release is Social Scope.
    nice. im sure you have a pretty good chance at it.
    06-21-10 09:05 PM

Do people get to vote in that? I'd vote for LIO3, but... well, Facebook 1.8 is just sooooo amazing, I'd HAVE to vote for it first; you'll probably take third Shao, behind Facebook 1.8 and the BlackBerry feedback tool. 3rd prize is a coupon to add an app to BlackBerry App World for free, right?

Lol, seriously though, you're right about SocialScope needing to come out of beta.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-10 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD