Everybody is talking about this app but the website says you have to be invited. Anybody know when it will open up?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 03:18 AM
    I also see Google has acquired Grand Central. Should be interesting once its up and running ;
    Official Google Blog: All aboard
    09-25-08 03:40 AM
    Yeah that was over a year ago and it is still in closed beta.
    09-25-08 04:45 AM
    i am a member but rarely use it.
    it was kinda a pain for me but i also havent played around with it much
    09-25-08 08:37 AM
    Never heard of the app but over a year in closed beta can't be a good sign. What does the app do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 12:20 AM
    It's a virtual call forwarding service. I got in before they limited it to US only. I registered and got a free NY number, and gave it to my friends there, who call that for free (local calls for free) and I've got incoming on my Canadian number, so basically, a free call all in all.
    09-29-08 11:20 PM
    It's a virtual call forwarding service. I got in before they limited it to US only. I registered and got a free NY number, and gave it to my friends there, who call that for free (local calls for free) and I've got incoming on my Canadian number, so basically, a free call all in all.
    I would love to do this...I hate how they leave Canadians out in the cold all the time
    09-30-08 10:56 AM
    I've had grandcentral for a couple years and been using it the last year or so. It's very useful being able to give out one phone number and then designate what callers get through to which lines. Very handy for those who carry multiple cellphones and/or have multiple land lines. Also filters out any unwanted or solicited calls.
    09-30-08 11:54 AM
    I have 2 accts #'s with Grand Central and I love it! I can call Canada free without having to pay an extra 20 cents a min. plus $4 plus for international calls to Canada my currect data plan. I also give out my Grand Central number to those who I don't share my BB number or home phone with... it's like a home/office phone away from home but always connected. I'm hoping when it's out of beta, the service will still be free.
    09-30-08 07:00 PM
    It's just like gmail, they want to be 100% sure it has all the right features and it works well. I just signed in to see if the invite a friend link was still there but it's gone. It's a amazing and cool tool.
    09-30-08 07:26 PM
    I've had grandcentral for a while now too and I love it. My family lives in another state, so I was able to get a phone number that's local to them and then have it forwarded to my cell so that they can call me whenever they want and it's a local call. I love it.
    09-30-08 07:42 PM
    I use it as well but only as a voicemail service (I kept my original phone number) and just forward missed calls to the new number instead of AT&T's voicemail service. That way I can manage who get's a customized voicemail greeting and save any voicemails that I get.

The biggest issue I have with these types of services is that once you give out your new number to people, you have to call them through the Grand Central app as opposed to directly dialing their number. Otherwise they get your old number on their caller id when you call them.
    10-01-08 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD