I'm running a 9630 Tour on Alltel

Blackberry Maps finds me with the GPS just fine. Trapster does too. Yet when I try to use Google maps I get the "GPS temporarily unavailable" message.

I downloaded and tried the Telenav workaround, but i'm still having the same problem.

I know my location is set to 'on'.

When i tried to download Google Maps from my phone I got an error message that said Google maps wasn't compatable with my phone, which is BS as my room mate's verizon tour works just fine with Google maps, and his GPS works too.

What gives?
    11-11-09 09:35 PM
    You didn't say what OS your using.
    11-11-09 09:38 PM
    oh my bad: 4.7.1.40 and google maps 3.2.1
    11-11-09 09:50 PM
    I had the same problem with mine.

Google maps would not lock on to GPS. All I could get is within 1900 meters.

I installed 5.0.230 beta and now google maps locks on with 3-10 meters usually within 5 seconds.

Go for it. I have not had a lick of problems with 5.0
    11-11-09 10:20 PM
    Right on! I've never tried a BB beta before, are they backwards compatible with themes and other apps?
    Last edited by Luminoz; 11-11-09 at 11:57 PM.
    11-11-09 10:46 PM

Blackberry Maps finds me with the GPS just fine. Trapster does too. Yet when I try to use Google maps I get the "GPS temporarily unavailable" message.

I downloaded and tried the Telenav workaround, but i'm still having the same problem.

When i tried to download Google Maps from my phone I got an error message that said Google maps wasn't compatable with my phone, which is BS as my room mate's verizon tour works just fine with Google maps, and his GPS works too.

What gives?
    if u dont want to go with a beta rom, just upgrade to your carriers official .57 rom. Every carrier got one i believe, google maps is allowed to access the GPS in all .57 and up roms for the tour
    11-12-09 09:39 AM
    Mine works great with BB maps and google maps running OS .57. When you quit using BB maps, do you hit the stop navigation option? Maybe that will help in gmaps.
    11-12-09 12:26 PM

What gives?
    Hey try this

Press 0 key for 5 seconds for three or four times - like youre trying to 'convince' your phone to do what you want- finally it'll obey you.

Works for. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 12:46 PM
    Well I'm running 4.7.1.57. Google Maps GPS still isn't working.

BB Maps and Trapster both GPS fine.

Should I go back to google maps version 3.0.2? I"m currently running 3.2.1.

OR should I try a 5.0 OS?
    11-13-09 12:21 AM
    Well I'm running 4.7.1.57. Google Maps GPS still isn't working.

BB Maps and Trapster both GPS fine.

Should I go back to google maps version 3.0.2? I"m currently running 3.2.1.

OR should I try a 5.0 OS?
    if u want to try a 5.0 os, then do it! im just saying thats google maps has been confirmed by pretty much everyone, including myself, as long as u have .57 or better
    11-13-09 12:51 AM
    Wow. This is a bloody nightmare. I'm now running 5.0.0.230 and google maps 3.2.1. and guess what!

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK! /wrists
    11-13-09 02:10 AM
    I didn't need to try a beta 5.0. I upgraded my phone to official OS 4.7.1.57 and the gps is fixed. You can find a copy somewhere on the crackberry forum.

11-13-09 02:27 AM
    just hold down 0 key for a few seconds and it'll register.
    11-13-09 03:03 AM
    I've tried holding down the zero key for a good while. - nothing changes.

I upgraded from OS 4.7.1.40 to .57 to beta five trying google maps 3.2.1 and 3.0.2 at every step of the way.

I'm starting to think that Alltel has some selective hate going for google maps, which is really weak.

anyone have any other ideas? i'm on the phone with alltel right now, but i'm not expecting anything to come from this...
    11-13-09 10:16 AM
    Man, I don't have any more ideas past what you've tried, but I can say "I've been there." Doesn't do you much good (when google maps 3.2 came out it fixed it for me running a 5.0 based hybrid), but you're not crazy. It seems to me like different steps have helped different people...

11-13-09 01:08 PM
    im running 5.0.0.230 and press/hold works for within 10 meters on gmaps 3.2.1.
    11-13-09 06:29 PM
    I'm running .57 and gmaps 3.2.1 and GPS is NOT working.
    11-13-09 06:43 PM
    Well I just made a post on google's help forums... We'll see if that gets anywhere...
    11-14-09 11:42 AM
    Has anyoe had any luck getting Google maps working on their Alltel Tour yet????
    11-30-09 04:52 PM
    I have the same problem with my USCC CrackBerry Tour. BUT USCC is not showing an official .57 release, only a .53 release. I also don't have the "refresh GPS" option in my GPS configs, so I can't do that either. Holding 0 for several seconds didn't work and I am running GMaps 3.2.1. Running BBMaps in the background doesn't help the issue either.

Keep me posted on any updates or changes b/c I Love GMaps when traveling and accurate GPS is very important when navigating.

Posted from my CrackBerry Tour (A Free Phone from USCC's 4 day Black Friday Sale with ALL PHONES FREE!!)
    12-03-09 08:53 AM
    Figured it out on my Tour. Adjusted the application AND module permissions to Allow All. Once that was done, I exited Google Maps and re-opened G-Maps, and suddenly, Location with 5 Meters!

Give That a try and Merry Christmas!

Posted from my CrackBerry Tour (A Free Phone from USCC's 4 day Black Friday Sale with ALL PHONES FREE!!)
    12-04-09 12:22 PM
    Figured it out on my Tour. Adjusted the application AND module permissions to Allow All. Once that was done, I exited Google Maps and re-opened G-Maps, and suddenly, Location with 5 Meters!

12-04-09 12:22 PM

WooooHoooo I think you got it!

I've been searching for week for this! I never even thought to look at the permissions!
    12-05-09 09:51 AM
    I've been messing around with my US Cellular 9630 and have found that when I choose "GSM/UMTS" instead of "1XEV" or "Global" (I have a SIM card installed from my previous T-Mobile phone) Google maps works beautifully. Unfortunately, my service isn's as good using GSM because CDMA provides better coverage in coastal Maine.

I think the phone switching between GSM and CDMA in "Global" mode might be why some of us have occasional luck getting GPS service with Google Maps.

I have an unlimited data plan and nation wide calling so I can't say if this might impact your bill but it seems to be the only way to make Google Maps work with a US Cellular 9630.

Any other ideas? I'd LOVE it if there was a way to use both technologies simultaneously since Google Maps is so much nicer than BB Maps.
    Last edited by mjoemoon; 12-26-09 at 04:56 PM.
    12-19-09 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD