I recently got a Verizon 9630 Tour, and I cannot get any GPS apps to work except google maps. Google maps works perfectly and tracks smoothly with no problems. However when I try to use any other GPS apps, (like cellflare, livetracker, instamapper, etc.) they act like my Tour has the gps locked out, and always give me some kind of error like � GPS not available� or something similar.

Here is what I have tried so far:
    • I enabled �location on� in the Options->Advanced->GPS & verified it works with google maps
    • I reinstalled the other GPS apps at least once
    • I made sure that all of the permissions for the GPS apps+modules are set to �Allow�
    • I removed the battery and rebooted a bunch of times
    • I made sure no other GPS apps were running in the background (like google maps)
    • I made sure that I was outside with a clear view of the sky for all my tests
    • I wrote to the tech support for the apps, and they have no idea why it wont work
    • I called Verizon tech support to verify that the GPS is totally open on the Tour, and it is

I�d really like to use the GPS functionality with other apps besides google maps.
    Can anyone help me please?
    09-17-09 11:15 PM
    What about Blackberry Maps or VZ Nav? It could be compatibility problems with these apps.
    09-17-09 11:20 PM
    What about Blackberry Maps or VZ Nav? It could be compatibility problems with these apps.

No I haven't tried either of them. Are they any good? Don't you have to pay for VZ Nav?
    Do you think that uninstalling these may fix it?
    Last edited by Xxq TZ pxX; 09-17-09 at 11:46 PM.
    09-17-09 11:44 PM
    You sure google maps is working right. It will work either way on cell tower triangulation, but if it is working will show the smaller blue circle and wont say accurate up to 3200 meters will say like 3 to 5 meters. My gps has not worked correctly on any of the tours i have had. Tried everything trying to get it straight, but I know google maps may look like its working even if using the triangulation. Honestly easiest way to see if your gps is working is do the gps test. Go to options, then scroll down to status now click that with trackball. Type test should take you to a test program. click bb button hit start now pick gps from the list, then scroll down to run. now click in trackball and it will say start fixing. click that and you are off, if gps is working properly it will get a fix
    Last edited by theanswer3; 09-17-09 at 11:56 PM.
    09-17-09 11:53 PM
    GPS is not instant. You may need to give it a second to lock.

Google Maps, and BB Maps work fine for me and I assume VZNav does as well seeing as it worked on my curve and it had locked GPS.
    09-17-09 11:57 PM
    No I haven't tried either of them. Are they any good? Don't you have to pay for VZ Nav?
    Do you think that uninstalling these may fix it?
    Try a battery pull. Then after the phone resets start Blackberry maps and click on the Find My Location. It will search for GPS satellites and attempt to pinpoint your location. If that app doesn't work, bring the phone back to the store and show it to the techs.

Yes, VZNav has a $9.99/mo subscription. I would try the apps you mentioned but I dislike the time it taks for the install/deinstall.

Edit: According to website cellflare is not compatible with Tour (not listed), livetracker should work unless the software is buggy. All 'interesting' uses of GPS and cell phone technology.
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-18-09 at 07:18 AM.
    09-18-09 07:12 AM
    You sure google maps is working right. It will work either way on cell tower triangulation, but if it is working will show the smaller blue circle and wont say accurate up to 3200 meters will say like 3 to 5 meters. My gps has not worked correctly on any of the tours i have had. Tried everything trying to get it straight, but I know google maps may look like its working even if using the triangulation. Honestly easiest way to see if your gps is working is do the gps test. Go to options, then scroll down to status now click that with trackball. Type test should take you to a test program. click bb button hit start now pick gps from the list, then scroll down to run. now click in trackball and it will say start fixing. click that and you are off, if gps is working properly it will get a fix
    Yes, I�m sure google maps is working right. At first it uses cell tower triangulation, but then after a few seconds it uses gps and says something like �accurate within 8 meters� and the big blue circle goes away and there�s just the little dot.

GPS is not instant. You may need to give it a second to lock. Google Maps, and BB Maps work fine for me and I assume VZNav does as well seeing as it worked on my curve and it had locked GPS.
    I give it a lot of time, sometimes 5-10 minutes.

Try a battery pull. Then after the phone resets start Blackberry maps and click on the Find My Location. It will search for GPS satellites and attempt to pinpoint your location. If that app doesn't work, bring the phone back to the store and show it to the techs. Yes, VZNav has a $9.99/mo subscription. I would try the apps you mentioned but I dislike the time it taks for the install/deinstall. Edit: According to website cellflare is not compatible with Tour (not listed), livetracker should work unless the software is buggy. All 'interesting' uses of GPS and cell phone technology.
    Ok, I will try BB Maps today.
    I wrote to the Cellflare tech support asking about the Tour, and they replied and said that the newest version is compatible with the BB Tour 9630. So I downloaded it and installed it and it still doesn�t work.

Since my GPS is working and no one else is reporting these problems, I guess it's a problem with these 3rd party apps?
    09-18-09 08:10 AM
    Also check this.

options>Adv options>applications. highlight the application and hit menu>edit permission. Make sure the permissions are set to allow fof each application that is not working for you.
    09-18-09 08:21 AM
    I use amaze gps and it works fine and its free!!
    09-18-09 09:14 AM
    Try a battery pull. Then after the phone resets start Blackberry maps and click on the Find My Location. It will search for GPS satellites and attempt to pinpoint your location. If that app doesn't work, bring the phone back to the store and show it to the techs.

Yes, VZNav has a $9.99/mo subscription. I would try the apps you mentioned but I dislike the time it taks for the install/deinstall.

Edit: According to website cellflare is not compatible with Tour (not listed), livetracker should work unless the software is buggy. All 'interesting' uses of GPS and cell phone technology.
    I have had this issue on all 3 tours I have had, except in my case bbm and nothing else will work but VZNAV works like a charm. Funny thing is, I told them bbm doesn't work and I refuse to pay 9.99 for vznav, and they told me, bbm is not through their network so they cant troubleshoot gps if prob is not with vznav. Tech didnt even know about the self test I spoke about earlier. Honestly self test is best test because it isnt using a "network" or data, only the gps antenna and satellites and you can at least see if gps antenna is working properly. Oh yeah and lets be real, I was told by tech support, store rep might take 30 mins for gps to lock, of course that is bs, shouldnt take any longer than 1min at the very most. do the self test will show u how well it is really working.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 09-18-09 at 10:37 AM.
    09-18-09 10:34 AM
    I thought I said this earlier but maybe not. I am using amaze gps and it works just fine and is free free free. tour gps recognizes it ad gives all the correct info try it amazegps.com
    09-18-09 01:13 PM
    Ok I've been messing around a lot with this. I tired BB Maps and it worked. I also did the GPS self test and it came back successful. I also got the "GPS Tracker" software working, so it looks like the only apps that wont work at this point are LiveTracker and CellFlare. I guess the issue is with their software... has anyone gotten either of them working on a Tour?
    09-18-09 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD