Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    since I really want this kind of app, I searched google and found..

zxing - Google Code

it is the group I guess which made the app

so I saw this

This library is divided into several components of interest:

1. core: core decoding library, and the main component of the entire project
    2. javame: JavaME client
    3. javase: J2SE-specific client code
    4. android: Android client (1.0 SDK)
    5. androidtest: Android test app (1.0 SDK)
    6. rim: RIM/Blackberry-specific client build
    7. iphone: iPhone client + port to Objective C / C++ (QR code only)
    8. zxingorg: The source behind zxing.org/w
    9. zxing.appspot.com: The source behind our barcode generator
    10. bug: Client for BugLabs's BUG

under Get The Reader link on the right hand side, it explains the different OSes. for example, some of us may know from reading the guy who made the Iboob program, that the iphone uses c++ and we discussed how the storm uses java, making the conversion for the iphone app to the BB very hard.

but... get the reader link shows J2ME, which supports many different phones, but under its explanation says..

We support a number of J2ME phones, with the following requirements:

* A camera (obviously)
    * Auto-focus capability, and preferably macro mode or optical zoom
    * Support for Java applications (developers: MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.1)
    * Support for basic multimedia in Java (developers: MMAPI / JSR-135)

* (Optional but pretty important) Support for advanced multimedia functionality (developers: AMMS / JSR-234)
    * (Optional, but needed to resolve URLs) Internet access from the phone

now, im not any developer, so this is why I ask, when I try and install this version, it will install, but if you try to run it, it wont open at all, but it says something about java in the description, which is why I originally tried it.

so how come it doesn't work? that's what I do not understand. also is it possible that it is easily convertable?

this is for 1d straight, original bar codes if people dont know, not those fancy ones like from beetagg

I hope someone could explain this to me, or possibly convert it! :P

thanks
    Last edited by freshgeardude; 01-07-09 at 09:06 PM.
    01-07-09 08:30 PM
    I've no idea why, but you access the camera in code differently in BB apps compared to normal J2ME apps.
    01-07-09 09:18 PM
    Yea i would like this app made as well!!!!!!!!
    01-07-09 09:37 PM
    Looking at the first post again there is BB specific code already... ?
    01-07-09 09:47 PM
    I would pay for this app... anybody?
    01-07-09 11:03 PM
    Bump! Someone please explain

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 11:06 AM
    This is a bar code image processing library. Someone would have to write an app that utilizes the library.
    01-08-09 11:48 AM
    Reading through the code I don't see how it would easily build for the BB, it requires some APIs that RIM hasn't implemented yet.
    01-08-09 12:06 PM
    I am a developer of the project. As you actually quoted here, there is a Blackberry-specific build in the "rim/" directory which is not the same as the J2ME build, as indeed the BB supports J2ME but in many cases you need to use RIM-specific APIs to get what you need.

In this case, RIM actually does not support access to the camera in J2ME (!) so BB clients end up having to do something very clunky: launch the camera app, ask the user to take a photo, and then switch back to the reader to listen for a new image file.

That, plus the lack of auto-focus/macro mode, mean that BB readers will be disappointing. They won't read 1D barcodes for this reason.

This project's client will read 2D barcodes (QR Codes for now). You can try the BeeTagg client too, for a different take on this.

Note, the current code for some reason has never run for me on a Curve 8320. Others have reported getting it to work on other Curves. Your mileage may vary.
    01-12-09 02:07 AM
    In this case, RIM actually does not support access to the camera in J2ME (!) so BB clients end up having to do something very clunky: launch the camera app, ask the user to take a photo, and then switch back to the reader to listen for a new image file.
    That's not true, they just don't let you access the same as every other J2ME application. There is a camerademo as part of the sample code RIM put out with their JDE.

That, plus the lack of auto-focus/macro mode, mean that BB readers will be disappointing. They won't read 1D barcodes for this reason.
    They take away a lot of the stuff they think people shouldn't need, it's annoying actually, but the cameras will do autofocus, just not in code that anyone but RIM can access. In any case check out the sample code before trying to do any more hacks.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-12-09 at 02:23 AM.
    01-12-09 02:21 AM
    That's not true, they just don't let you access the same as every other J2ME application. There is a camerademo as part of the sample code RIM put out with their JDE.
    I am looking at their latest (4.7) dev docs and it still shows that you pull this hack to get images from the camera:

na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/5815/Multimedia_guide.pdf
    01-19-09 04:02 AM
    My best friend has the G1 and that app is way tight. I'd love to see this app on the storm!
    01-19-09 04:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD