How will VZW handle number porting when Google Voice allows existing numbers to be ported over? Will it be as simple as porting the number to Google and requesting a new number from the carrier or will it considered a break in contract?
    08-16-09 12:49 PM
    hmmm... thats a good question... so basically porting the number out but just changing your mobile device number to keep service. hmmm...

I'd have to research that. Anyone else's thoughts? Thats a good question!
    08-16-09 01:08 PM
    I ported my Google Voice number to Verizon Wireless a few months ago. I had been using it since Grandcentral Beta as one of the first users so I wanted to keep it. I just gave Verizon all the information they needed including Login ID and password and within 7 days it was ported to my cell. SO I can verify it does work.
    08-16-09 01:13 PM
    Porting is porting. it doesn't make a difference if you port to google, att, or sprint. Its still handled the same way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 01:17 PM
    hmmm... thats a good question... so basically porting the number out but just changing your mobile device number to keep service. hmmm...
    That's exactly right. I wouldn't want to cancel service with VZW. When GV supports it, I would just want to take my existing VZW number and port it to GV. Then I would either need a new VZW number or if possible, I could port my existing GV number over to VZW...basically just a swap.
    08-16-09 01:19 PM
    Porting is porting. it doesn't make a difference if you port to google, att, or sprint. Its still handled the same way.

Wouldn't this normally cancel a contract though if it's ported over to Sprint, ATT, etc.? Would it be considered a cancelled contact if it's ported over to Google but I wish to remain a VZW carrier with a different number?
    08-16-09 01:25 PM
    You didn't sign a contract on the phone number. You signed on the service. Things might have changed, but in the past, you'd have to setup a second number on the carrier, move the number you wanted ported to it and change the phone. It used to be you could only port from live service and that would usually cancel the line you ported the number from. These days, there might be provisioning to accomplish it. I just don't know.
    08-16-09 01:38 PM
    Yes it would be considered a cancellation. Unless you convince a rep to make an exception.
    Wouldn't this normally cancel a contract though if it's ported over to Sprint, ATT, etc.? Would it be considered a cancelled contact if it's ported over to Google but I wish to remain a VZW carrier with a different number?
    08-16-09 01:39 PM
    Yeah it would but then you just reactivate and choose a diff MDN.. then you get the ETF waived bc you re-activated w/in 30 days.

SOooooo... based on my research regarding port outs and cancels and reactivations.. ect ect...

Port the number to google. When its complete your line on verizon will be canceled and the ETF will be put on the account.
    Ports usually take 24hrs or so. Then call verizon and state you would like to reactivate this line with a new MDN. I believe this would result in the ETF being waived back because you re-activated within 30 days. I think that this would apply. In fact I'm fairly certain it would... Lastraid? Anyone? What do you think of this resolution?
    Last edited by heather.law; 08-16-09 at 01:58 PM.
    08-16-09 01:42 PM
    Yeah it would but then you just reactivate and choose a diff MDN.. then you get the ETF waived bc you re-activated w/in 30 days.
    Sounds like a lot of unnecessary paper work. If it works, I guess that's the way to go then!
    08-16-09 01:45 PM
    yeah I know its a lot of steps but if it gets you where you want to go...
    08-16-09 03:13 PM
    Reps can apply credits and work with you to make the transaction as smooth as possible.
    If its not possible, what good would it do to convince the rep to do anything?

08-16-09 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD