Dang it.. got an invite today, but its not available outside the US..

Curse you Google!! Canada is bigger and on top..
    07-27-09 04:32 PM
    Also speaking from the country above the U.S..... what is a Google voice invite and why would I mind it not being available?
    07-27-09 04:43 PM
    and how is this related to the blackberry bold?
    07-27-09 04:55 PM
    Basically Google Voice will be a number to route your berry though to keep your actual device number hidden. Or your home number/etc. The main reason that I investigated it was to be able to record voice calls I make on my berry, although so far it seems you can only record incoming calls to the number, not outgoing calls routed through.
    07-27-09 05:46 PM
    Still not sure what it's all about - why would I want to route my berry through Google Voice? Is it just to record calls?
    07-27-09 06:22 PM
    ok..i still dont get how this pertains to the bold?
    07-27-09 06:22 PM
    ^^ It may not be Bold specific, but not everything in this forum is. Lots of multi-device apps and services show up here.

I'm just not sure exactly what it is - but maybe I'll Google it!
    07-27-09 06:26 PM
    ^^ It may not be Bold specific, but not everything in this forum is. Lots of multi-device apps and services show up here.

I'm just not sure exactly what it is - but maybe I'll Google it!
    oh ok......
    07-27-09 06:31 PM
    It works with the Bold. Got it.
    07-27-09 07:46 PM
    Also speaking from the country above the U.S..... what is a Google voice invite and why would I mind it not being available?
    You could just use a US proxy to sign up, it only detects your IP
    07-27-09 07:55 PM
    Simply put:

Google Voice is a number you'd give out to everyone. It automatically detects where your mobile phone is, and if you're "at home", when someone calls your "google number", your house phone rings.

If you're out and about, and someone calls, your mobile will ring. You'll basically never miss a call because someone didn't know your house number or anything.

I can't post URL's yet, go to google and search for "google voice", its the first result, so "im feeling lucky" will work for you.
    07-27-09 08:31 PM
    Sounds nice, invite only though >.<
    07-27-09 08:37 PM
    Thanks for that great summary. There are so many new apps it is hard to know what to care about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 08:44 PM
    I got a friend in us to activate it for me but when I tried to call from my cell, it dial an international number. Not cool for me then lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 11:45 PM
    i got the invite yesterday but its not available in my country so :-(
    07-28-09 12:34 AM
    Damn I'm still waiting on my invite
    07-28-09 01:58 AM
    Simply put:

Google Voice is a number you'd give out to everyone. It automatically detects where your mobile phone is, and if you're "at home", when someone calls your "google number", your house phone rings.

If you're out and about, and someone calls, your mobile will ring. You'll basically never miss a call because someone didn't know your house number or anything.

I can't post URL's yet, go to google and search for "google voice", its the first result, so "im feeling lucky" will work for you.
    It doesn't automatically detect where you are. You set up which phone number will ring for certain people.

ex. Say you have 3 numbers (Home, Cell and Work)
    You can set it up so immediate family will call your google voice number and all 3 phones will ring, or if work contacts call it will only call your cell and work numbers, etc. You can even have certain numbers go straight to voice mail. There are a couple videos up about it. Just search youtube for google voice.
    07-28-09 02:56 AM
    Liked the look of this and requested an invite a few weeks ago... got my invite this morning... and then realised US only... when's it coming to UK if ever???
    07-28-09 03:51 AM
    I too am one of the lucky invited ones. Pity i live in Australia
    07-28-09 05:47 AM
    You could just use a US proxy to sign up, it only detects your IP
    It only allows you to direct calls to a US number regardless.

Either way, it scares me how eagerly people sign up for a service that records, transcribes and indexes and stores their phone conversations. There's a reason the service costs the user no money, despite the fact that it most certainly costs Google (Just the inbound and outbound trunking for one user on a busy phone, say 500-1000 minutes, could add up to $5-$10 per month.)

Think twice before using this, especially for business or private conversations.
    Last edited by Polywog; 07-28-09 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Fixed pre-coffee grammar :)
    07-28-09 06:39 AM
    It only allows you to direct calls to a US number regardless.

Either way, it scares me how eagerly people sign up for a service the records, transcribes and indexes and stores their phone conversations. There's a reason the service costs the user no money, despite the fact the it most certainly costs Google (Just the inbound and outbound trunking for one user on a busy phone, say 500-1000 minutes, could add up to $5-$10 per month.)

Think twice before using this, especially for business or private conversations.
    Interesting... I always thought Google made cash via advertising.

Where did you learn of this? did not know they transcribed and recorded conversations. Can they do that legally?
    07-28-09 06:42 AM
    how does one get an invite? does it show up in your gmail account? i wish there were more details.

edit: https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/ theres the link for the invite.
    Last edited by thatwaswackberry; 07-28-09 at 07:01 AM.
    07-28-09 06:57 AM
    Interesting... I always thought Google made cash via advertising.

Where did you learn of this? did not know they transcribed and recorded conversations. Can they do that legally?
    Features : Recording phone calls - Google Voice Help

Presumably they're not recording everything that goes through. But conspiracy theories abound, I'm sure. Who says the landline carriers aren't recording things already?

As far as recording voicemail, until voicemail gets stored directly on one's handset, it will ALWAYS be stored somewhere out of the user's direct control until its deleted, be it on a PBX, carrier's voicemail, etc... Transcription of said voicemail into text for e-mailing on Google Voice is by user choice.
    Last edited by hytran; 07-28-09 at 07:44 AM.
    07-28-09 07:13 AM
    I got an invite yesterday. I loaded the GV app for Blackberry and I was able to grab the GV app from the app store for my iPhone before Apple yanked it. You can send/receive sms and have three numbers linked to your GV number. It's pretty neat, never having to change you're number again. The BB app is kinda basic.
    07-28-09 08:13 AM
    I got an invite yesterday. I loaded the GV app for Blackberry and I was able to grab the GV app from the app store for my iPhone before Apple yanked it. You can send/receive sms and have three numbers linked to your GV number. It's pretty neat, never having to change you're number again. The BB app is kinda basic.

Yeah, the BB app is a bit rudimentary.

Why did Apple yank the iPhone port?
    07-28-09 08:19 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD