I installed Google Voice on my 8320. When you make a call it dials out. So what's the point? I can just dial the call myself and pay the same rate. I don't get it.
    08-10-09 07:24 AM
    google voice is pretty cool i think. I dont use the app on my phone, i just goto the website and use it. What i like is, when you call someone from it, it shows your google number, and all your calls are logged and it transcribes your voicemail and texts it to you.
    08-10-09 11:38 AM
    I installed Google Voice on my 8320. When you make a call it dials out. So what's the point? I can just dial the call myself and pay the same rate. I don't get it.
    I am not going to list out all the features if you google, google voice, you will see them all, but to list a few, voicemail to text, have your calls routed to multiple locations, give out 1 number instead of multiple, so check it out, it may not be for you
    08-10-09 11:41 AM
    I am talking about the BlackBerry app for it. Not the overall service in general. If you install the app and dial number it just tells your BlackBerry to call Google to place the call. Either way you are paying for a phone call so what's the point of the BlackBerry app other than disguising your BlackBerry's phone number. I find the BlackBerry app kind of useless.
    08-10-09 11:59 AM
    you put the reason already. it uses your google voice number for outgoing calls and texts so you can disguise your own number. it means you can carry your number to any carrier without having to port numbers every time.
    08-10-09 12:09 PM
    Simply, it is just to disguise your phone number so all your contacts don't get confused when you give them your google voice "lifetime" number and they see calls coming from the old numbers they had for you.
    08-10-09 02:28 PM
    the gv dialer is a better app than the google app for mobiles. but the easiest app for me is the web dialer. dialing from your contacts is a snap.

if you don't get the benefits of google voice itself, see the other threads.
    08-10-09 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD