so, you have my wheels turning here...do you change over your youmail account to your google number or is there a way to integrate two accts (the one for your cell and the gvoice one?)
    Well once you set the forwarding up in your phone for You Mail it will forward Google Voice calls too because it is oblivious to GV. The forwarding works with it because it doesn't know someone just isn't calling your normal cell since GV has it just show whoever is callings name/number.. So yeah they work together quite well.
    07-07-09 05:32 PM
    so, you have my wheels turning here...do you change over your youmail account to your google number or is there a way to integrate two accts (the one for your cell and the gvoice one?)
    I use my YouMail VM for all incoming calls. I have my Google Voice VM turned off so even my GV calls go to my YouMail voicemail. It's just easier and makes more sense since YouMail has far more features for VM. I simply use my Google Voice number to make and receive calls and text message.
    07-07-09 05:32 PM
    ooooh, I get it now! Thanks for helping me feel less stupid! I wish my invite would get here already. I am so anxious to get this thing going!!
    07-07-09 05:37 PM
    ooooh, I get it now! Thanks for helping me feel less stupid! I wish my invite would get here already. I am so anxious to get this thing going!!
    Don't feel stupid. The only way to learn new things is to ask.
    07-07-09 05:38 PM
    So, after ... setting my Google Voice number as a MyFav under T-Mo, I can now make unlimited nationwide calls to whoever I want, no matter what network they are on, and no matter if the number is a home, business or mobile phone.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Google. What they are doing is amazing.

Just one thing, remember, everytime you make an outgoing call, you unmask your phone's real identity and real number. Getting people to ONLY call your Google Voice number may be more work than you've planned on.

I've tried all the phony number services (Grand Central, Google Voice, etc) and unless you program your phone to mask your true number, you reveal your real number with each call and most people find it easier to just hit call back and call you, then your real number winds up getting in their address books and all your good planning on using the Google Voice number as a MyFaves selection goes to waste.

And insofar as hiding your real number, call me with a hidden number and you'll get voicemail 100% of the time. I never take hidden number calls and have my phone programmed to send them all to voicemail directly (Antair Call Screener).

Until you can get caller ID to display your Google Voice number rather than your true phone number, this process isn't going to be as smooth as one might want to believe. And you aren't likely to get any carrier to allow you to use your Google Voice number as your caller ID display anytime soon.
    07-07-09 05:59 PM
    Just one thing, remember, everytime you make an outgoing call, you unmask your phone's real identity and real number. Getting people to ONLY call your Google Voice number may be more work than you've planned on.
    Umm, every call I make with Google Voice shows my Google Voice number to the recipients caller id. You just have to dial out from Google Voice or the web interface. Its like using a calling card to make a call. First call your GV number, enter your password, press 2 then dial the number you want to call. Your GV number will now show up the the other persons caller id.

Or use GVDialer and it will do all that for you.
    Last edited by jamestbrewer; 07-07-09 at 06:12 PM.
    07-07-09 06:10 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Google. What they are doing is amazing.

I've tried all the phony number services (Grand Central, Google Voice, etc) and unless you program your phone to mask your true number, you reveal your real number with each call and most people find it easier to just hit call back and call you, then your real number winds up getting in their address books and all your good planning on using the Google Voice number as a MyFaves selection goes to waste.

And insofar as hiding your real number, call me with a hidden number and you'll get voicemail 100% of the time. I never take hidden number calls and have my phone programmed to send them all to voicemail directly (Antair Call Screener).

Until you can get caller ID to display your Google Voice number rather than your true phone number, this process isn't going to be as smooth as one might want to believe. And you aren't likely to get any carrier to allow you to use your Google Voice number as your caller ID display anytime soon.
    You're wrong. Every time I make a call using GVDialer, the caller ID of the person I'm calling shows my Google number. I have tried this over and over and my real mobile number IS NOT shown. Only my Google Voice number shows.
    07-07-09 06:10 PM
    Umm, every call I make with Google Voice shows my Google Voice number to the recipients caller id. You just have to dial out from Google Voice or the web interface. Its like using a calling card to make a call. First call your GV number, enter your password, press 2 then dial the number you want to call. Your GV number will now show up the the other persons caller id.

Or use GVDialer and it will do all that for you.
    God bless you my friend if you want to go through all that for every call you make. But let's not confuse the issue and pretend that the majority of people are going to consistently do that for every call they make.

Google gets kudos for their Rube Goldberg engineering. But it is still just a Rube Goldberg solution and not a real-world solution for the majority of people who aren't going to add additional steps for every phone call they make every hour of the day.
    07-07-09 07:52 PM
    Folks,

I deleted 15 posts which removed the argument. I am not issuing offical warnings, BUT I must remind you (2 of you in partcular - if the shoe fits)...

.... from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    07-07-09 10:07 PM
    Yes, and he said keep it clean and nice. I am. I reworded the post and made sure it was clear and helpful.
    I think it was very unnecessary given the situation to post what you did right after. Regardless of how nice you made it sound.
    07-07-09 11:10 PM
    I think it was very unnecessary given the situation to post what you did right after. Regardless of how nice you made it sound.
    And I respect your opinion.
    07-07-09 11:12 PM
    Ok lets save this argument for another day. Seems to be getting a bit to hot (read flaming) for right now.

GV is an exciting thing, but certianly also has it's issues. Lets sleep on it, then we can revisit this in the morning, when cooler heads can prevail.
    07-07-09 11:36 PM
    Is anyone able to send invites that have it already? If so plzzzz I beg private message and let me know if you can send me invite b.c. I don't have a lot of cell min and am broke and could use this badly. Let me know with priv msg / PM. Thanks a ton

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 11:45 PM
    Funny stuff guys

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you should ask a mod to close a thread. Keep it cool!!

07-08-09 12:34 AM
    Is anyone able to send invites that have it already? If so plzzzz I beg private message and let me know if you can send me invite b.c. I don't have a lot of cell min and am broke and could use this badly. Let me know with priv msg / PM. Thanks a ton

They are handling the invites themselves for now. have you signed up? They are sending them out...
    07-08-09 12:51 AM
    God bless you my friend if you want to go through all that for every call you make. But let's not confuse the issue and pretend that the majority of people are going to consistently do that for every call they make.

Google gets kudos for their Rube Goldberg engineering. But it is still just a Rube Goldberg solution and not a real-world solution for the majority of people who aren't going to add additional steps for every phone call they make every hour of the day.
    I don't do that for every call. There are multiple ways to place calls using GV, the easiest being GVDialer. You can save this dialing method in your phonebook like I stated earlier in this very thread. This way its almost seamless and you just dial out from your handset like a calling anyone else in your phone book and its not too much harder to store the number like that if you can cut and paste. You can dial from the web interface on your phone using your GV phone book via google.com/voice/m. Or if you are using a web connected PC you can use the full GV web interface.

The majority of people don't need 2 phone lines or need to hide their phone number from the people that they call. The majority of people can pay for and carry two phones if they do need to keep a separate business and personal number with them on a regular basis. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for and GV is a free beta service. In my personal situation this free beta allows me to carry one phone with two numbers and, in combination with myfaves, allows me to make over 1500 minutes of calls a month using a 300 minute plan. As long as I am lucky enough to keep this going I will be happy with it as it saves me $1000+ per year. For a little extra thumb movement I get to take an extra vacation or splurge on something or save a little more, or whatever, it seems like it might just be worth it.
    07-08-09 01:50 AM
    I'm on 700 min family shared plan with t mobile. i do have unlimited my faves.
    So far using gvdialer i managed to save 500 min calling around. I use it to make service calls like banks, doctors office, any 800 number and so on.
    Also, i use it to make international calls which
    1. Does not deduct any shared minutes,
    2. Cheaper then most plans or calling cards
    3. Convenient
    4. It tells me up front how much its going to cost to call my destination
    5. Can refill my money any time i want too or need too

This is my personal experience, application works great. This was best 10 dollars i ever spent.
    07-08-09 07:45 AM
    Back with a fresh approach to this. As Google Voice is a VoIP service (as stated here), adding your GV number as a MyFav and then using GVDialer to make your calls with your GV number can save someone hundreds and possibly even thousands of dollars a month. GVDialer integration makes calling as simple as normal calling. It takes the number entry out of your hands and automates it.

I didn't want to have to constantly enter my GV number, then the number I wanted to call, so GVDialer made that possible and made it easy. I have to this date made 734 calls using my GV number and GVDialer and every single call shows my GV number on the caller ID (I know this because I asked) and T-Mobile logs it as just another MyFav call. So, I can say with a great deal of certainty that this works and works perfectly. GV as a MyFav gives you nationwide calling for free. Using GVDialer also allows you to display your GV number on caller ID instead of your mobile number. It has been proven 734 times already.

Thanks to everyone in this thread. I was happy to start this discussion and to help several of you get it working properly. Calling plans don't look so bad now thanks to GV and MyFavs.

Oh, I just wanted to add how SMS text messaging has been integrated due to GVDialer. Now, you can reply or simply start a text right from the BB menu button. Super simple and when you text, it shows up on the receivers end showing your GV number, not your mobile number. The texts then also show up in your GV account online which now doubles as SMS archiving. You can reply or start a new SMS conversation from within your acct online as well.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 07-08-09 at 11:17 AM.
    07-08-09 11:11 AM
    I have had google voice for a long time because I was a grand central member before and never heard of GVdialer. One question, does it eat up your phone memory?
    07-08-09 11:25 AM
    I have had google voice for a long time because I was a grand central member before and never heard of GVdialer. One question, does it eat up your phone memory?
    No it doesn't. It doesn't even run in the background. It runs only when you make a call or text using it.
    07-08-09 11:27 AM
    Got the SMS portion working...

Question: when folks reply to a text message from my GV number, it shows up on my phone (as a third number; I assume it is a Google routing number of sorts). Replying to that number does not seem to get back to the person.

IOW, I think you may have to enter the person's number on each text. Not a HUGE issue... 3C, are you noticing this too?
    07-08-09 11:44 AM
    Got the SMS portion working...

Question: when folks reply to a text message from my GV number, it shows up on my phone (as a third number; I assume it is a Google routing number of sorts). Replying to that number does not seem to get back to the person.

IOW, I think you may have to enter the person's number on each text. Not a HUGE issue... 3C, are you noticing this too?
    No, if I SMS someone using my GV number, when I get a response, it does show up as some sort of routing number (usually with a 406 area code). I simply hit 'R' to reply and they get it.

One thing I've done and don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I uploaded all my contacts to my GV account online. Also, after the first text to someone using my GV number, I add the new 'routing' number to their contact info in my address book under the 'other' category.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 07-08-09 at 11:49 AM.
    07-08-09 11:47 AM
    No, if I SMS someone using my GV number, when I get a response, it does show up as some sort of routing number (usually with a 406 area code). I simply hit 'R' to reply and they get it.

One thing I've done and don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I uploaded all my contacts to my GV account online. Also, after the first text to someone using my GV number, I add the new 'routing' number to their contact info in my address book under the 'other' category.

Yep... just synced up my phone contacts with Gmail, which supplies them to GV. Now, I have my contacts stored externally, which is a huge plus.

Off to check the texting with another contact.
    07-08-09 11:57 AM
    Here are two screenshots sending and receiving texts using the GV number. Each reply starts using their name when they reply to you, as shown in the pictures.

It shows their name before the text. Just hit 'R' to reply using your GV number.
    07-08-09 12:08 PM
    Back with a fresh approach to this ... GVDialer integration makes calling as simple as normal calling.
    Back with the perspective of the lessons of life that history provides to us.

Simple Life Lesson: "One-number-for-life� service providers always consistently fail in the marketplace.

Even Cisco, no slouch when it comes to technology, couldn't even make a go of it when they tried to deliver their "one-number-for-life� service.

Now Google is poised to stand where all others before them have fallen.

It remains to be seem whether even tech powerhouse Google ... using their "Rube Goldberg" GV contrivance to answer one of the intrinsic problems every "one-number-for-life� service provider faces (getting people to use their alias phone numbers consistently) ... can overcome the challenges that have killed everyone who has ever tried selling the "one-number-for-life" idea in the past. Simple facts are that consumers consistently show that they will not adopt the additional steps necessary in their day-to-day lives to make the "one-number-for-life� service work and ultimately abandon the programs causing their ultimate demise. Again, remember, even Cisco folded their tent after they couldn't make a go of it.

No denying that the "one-number-for-life� service provider idea is an interesting one, again, it's just that no one can ever seem to make it work. And Google has not gotten off to a good start. Their rollout from the aquisition of Grand Central to Google Voice has been a bumpy one indeed. You probably can't get GV because the project is still limited to a small beta group and despite months of promises of a general release, Google Voice seems no closer to general release now than they were months ago.

You may want to try the Google Voice "one-number-for-life� service when and *IF* it ever becomes available to the general public, but as Santayana once observed ... "Those Who Forget the Lessons of History Are Doomed To Repeat It."

If you ever get a chance to use GV, terrific. But don't lose your regular phone number because if history is a teacher, you'll find that you'll probably be using that real number again in the future when GV doesn't work anymore.

Simple facts: "one-number-for-life� services always fail in the final analysis.
    07-08-09 12:40 PM
455 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD