I'll test battery life over the next few days and report back.
    Thanks, 3C. Although, I posted while you were confirming GVd is your choice. I know I'm sticking with GVd myself anyway.

Cheers.
    07-15-09 01:49 PM
    I've been using the official GV app (0.1.415) on my 8900 (.114) for a few hours now. Here are some of my initial observations:

• You can dial out from the app or through the menu when using the native phone book.
    • You can't dial out using the the built in dialer or call log at all.
    • No integration with the native Messages or SMS app.
    • App launches at boot and runs in the background.
    • App adds visual voice mail functionality.
    • Takes a long time for messages to show up, SMS and email show up much sooner.
    • No audible or visual alert.
    • Chances are that you don't really need an audible alert though, since if youre using it on your phone, you already have either SMS or email notifications on and get those delivered to your phone.
    • Outgoing call initiation and outgoing SMS seem to work entirely over a data connection. So sending SMS doesn't count against your plan.
    • Outgoing calls seem to be routed through a new number, though so far it seems to be the same number every time. So if you use myFaves, Pick 3, etc., 2 slots are needed to have unlimited incoming and outgoing calls.

Since its day one of the first public version, obviously a lot will change. The app seems pretty stable and hasn't caused any noticeable slowdown
    07-15-09 02:59 PM
    I've been using the official GV app (0.1.415) on my 8900 (.114) for a few hours now. Here are some of my initial observations:

• You can dial out from the app or through the menu when using the native phone book.
    • You can't dial out using the the built in dialer or call log at all.
    • No integration with the native Messages or SMS app.
    • App launches at boot and runs in the background.
    • App adds visual voice mail functionality.
    • Takes a long time for messages to show up, SMS and email show up much sooner.
    • No audible or visual alert.
    • Chances are that you don't really need an audible alert though, since if youre using it on your phone, you already have either SMS or email notifications on and get those delivered to your phone.
    • Outgoing call initiation and outgoing SMS seem to work entirely over a data connection. So sending SMS doesn't count against your plan.
    • Outgoing calls seem to be routed through a new number, though so far it seems to be the same number every time. So if you use myFaves, Pick 3, etc., 2 slots are needed to have unlimited incoming and outgoing calls.

Since its day one of the first public version, obviously a lot will change. The app seems pretty stable and hasn't caused any noticeable slowdown
    First and foremost thanks to you and 3C with the informative posts. Sometimes CB reminds me why I love this site. Now to the point - I've just recently received my invite and set up GV but I'm missing the part about 2 slots for incoming/outgoing. I understand the GV# (the one I picked when I set it up) but the other number is making me draw a blank. A little help please.
    07-15-09 05:30 PM
    First and foremost thanks to you and 3C with the informative posts. Sometimes CB reminds me why I love this site. Now to the point - I've just recently received my invite and set up GV but I'm missing the part about 2 slots for incoming/outgoing. I understand the GV# (the one I picked when I set it up) but the other number is making me draw a blank. A little help please.
    The two slots issue is one I was wondering about, and mentioned in another thread.

With the official GV app, it seems routing numbers are used, one for outgoing and one for incoming. Thus, it seems like to reap the benefit of free calls with it, you' need to enter BOTH of those numbers into your Faves list. Not major, but that would be an issue for me; I have only five faves.

I am sticking with GVDialer. IMHO, it is better right now.
    07-15-09 08:29 PM
    The two slots issue is one I was wondering about, and mentioned in another thread.

With the official GV app, it seems routing numbers are used, one for outgoing and one for incoming. Thus, it seems like to reap the benefit of free calls with it, you' need to enter BOTH of those numbers into your Faves list. Not major, but that would be an issue for me; I have only five faves.

I am sticking with GVDialer. IMHO, it is better right now.
    I agree tre. GVD requires using only 1 of my MyFav slots, and IMO right now is better integrated into the BB OS than the GV app.
    07-15-09 08:31 PM
    I thought you (Tre) were saying GVD needed 2 slots but GV is the culprit. Well its settled than; GVD for me! Thanks fellas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 08:35 PM
    I thought you (Tre) were saying GVD needed 2 slots but GV is the culprit. Well its settled than; GVD for me! Thanks fellas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You're welcome. Nope, GVD only uses 1 slot. The new GV app apparently needs two (incoming and outgoing connect numbers).

I'm sticking with GVD as the developers are on top of the game. They are super fast responsive and ready to field suggestions and problems. Very good developer IMHO.
    07-15-09 08:37 PM
    Normally, I'm like "If the program is free, it's for me" (if it don't leak or cause my battery to nosedive). But GVDialer works well so far and I don't think I need to wait the 30 days to buy it. I don't mind paying for a product that's worth it to me in the long run.
    07-15-09 08:43 PM
    I've been using GVD since it was released and can say it hasn't affected my battery at all. I am glad it doesn't run in the background like so many other apps. It works very well and the developers are working hard to release a new version with more features.
    07-15-09 08:45 PM
    So do you hav to have a google number before you can get GVDialer? Reason I ask is because it asks for your google number for the 30 day free trial
    07-15-09 10:19 PM
    So do you hav to have a google number before you can get GVDialer? Reason I ask is because it asks for your google number for the 30 day free trial
    Yes, theres really no point to GVD without a google voice account.
    07-15-09 10:46 PM
    3C/James,

Have you guys figured out any other ways to get around the issue of having to use your Google Voice number as Caller ID for incoming calls in GVDialer? I would love getting away from doing that and call presentation while maximizing MyFaves advantages.

Having one number calling in is driving me batty!
    07-15-09 11:02 PM
    3C/James,

Have you guys figured out any other ways to get around the issue of having to use your Google Voice number as Caller ID for incoming calls in GVDialer? I would love getting away from doing that and call presentation while maximizing MyFaves advantages.

Not to my knowledge. If and when a workaround is found I'll let ya know.
    07-15-09 11:08 PM
    Another issue I am looking at right now... Tmo is tagging me for forwarding... is anyone seeing this? A quick check tells me my initial guess is right: YouMail. Did I miss this earlier in the thread...

Would adding the YouMail number to Faves help?
    07-15-09 11:29 PM
    YouMail uses conditional call forwarding. Most (all, AFAIK) TMo lines get a bucket of 500 conditional call forwarding minutes.

If calls to your GV number are getting forwarded to your YouMail voicemail, set your call forwarding delay to at least 30 seconds. Not sure if there is an option in the BB OS, but you can call customer service or dial the following in your phone:

Code:
    **61*1 FORWARDING NUMBER**SECONDS# SEND
    to send to YouMail after 30 seconds
    Code:
    **61*17142043114**30# then press send
    07-16-09 12:23 AM
    Hey now look I am not going to beat a dead horse. This early in the game I think its pretty safe to say, as everyone else has, for now GVDialer is the way to go. It has more time into development and feedback ect. Google is definitely on the right track. And as for the call forwarding thing above..Thank god I jumped on that Unlimited Loyalty plan. It has unlimited forwarding and calling. So I don't have to mess with the one number coming in all the time. That would drive me batty too! Surely their will be a workaround made..Maybe receiving calls via data? hmmm

In either case..Now were REALLY onto something here. Some competition(FREE at that) to GVDialer. Ahh lifes grand.
    07-16-09 02:22 AM
    YouMail uses conditional call forwarding. Most (all, AFAIK) TMo lines get a bucket of 500 conditional call forwarding minutes.

If calls to your GV number are getting forwarded to your YouMail voicemail, set your call forwarding delay to at least 30 seconds. Not sure if there is an option in the BB OS, but you can call customer service or dial the following in your phone:

Code:
    **61*1 FORWARDING NUMBER**SECONDS# SEND
    to send to YouMail after 30 seconds
    Code:
    **61*17142043114**30# then press send
    Thanks James... on my bill, I see a minute being marked for every YouMail call. I have to see if I am being charged for it.
    07-16-09 12:28 PM
    I think that GVD is better than GV, but I have a question. It dials out great, but, it calls my number first, is there any way around it? When I click connect by calling out, it asks for a pin. When I connect by calling me back it doesn't ask for the pin, but it rings me first. Am I correct by saying that GVD only uses one friends and family line?

Thanks
    Rochelle
    07-16-09 03:04 PM
    I think that GVD is better than GV, but I have a question. It dials out great, but, it calls my number first, is there any way around it? When I click connect by calling out, it asks for a pin. When I connect by calling me back it doesn't ask for the pin, but it rings me first. Am I correct by saying that GVD only uses one friends and family line?

Thanks
    Rochelle
    You know... that was something I caught too... don't think it handles outgoing calls like that in the last build, but I could be wrong. I think previous to the latest beta, it (the callback method) used to be a silent process. I preferred that.

As far as I know, you need only ONE Friends slot for GVD.
    07-16-09 03:08 PM
    Thanks Tre, but it does ring me back and it is driving me nuts, but hey, it works great and only one slot is needed. It is a keeper.
    Rochelle
    07-16-09 03:14 PM
    I've been using the GV Dialer for a few days now. I agree with the previous posters that it is probably better than the GV app.

This delay when I call people is kind of annoying, but I guess I can't really complain for unlimited minutes. I used to love the ability to just hold a quick key and have it dial immediately. Now I have to wait 3 seconds.

One thing I did notice: For those with the Sprint $5 Unlimited Incoming minutes, you don't really need to use any minutes if you use the "Calling Me Back" feature for outgoing calls.

It calls you back and since it shows up as an incoming call, I technically never need any outgoing minutes. I did a test today and Sprint classifies it as an Incoming call.

I also have the Pick 3 with Sprint. New Numbers don't take effect until your next billing cycle starts, so I won't be able to use my free Pick 3 minutes until August.

All in all, google voice + Pick 3/Fave 5 + unlimited incoming is just amazing.
    07-16-09 06:28 PM
    In the GVD settings you can set it to call out or call you back. I have mine set to call me back so I don't have to listen to the app dialing out and going through the number entry sequence. But these are settings you can change in the GVD settings.
    07-16-09 07:08 PM
    3C/James,

im pretty sure i got around this by disabling the option in google voice to give me a menu when someone calls. normally u have to hit 1 or something to answer right? well i just have it set so when i pick up.. i hit no buttons amd just say hello.

everytime someone calls me.. i see their own number.. not my GV number.
    07-17-09 07:53 PM
    tried google voice app today, pretty awesome!
    07-17-09 09:02 PM
    How do you get GVDialer from interfering with Speed Dials?
    07-17-09 10:41 PM
455 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD