During the weekend I got my invite to Google Voice. I have to say that I like what I am able to do with the program. I loved being able to make up my own phone number as well. (Being a professional, but still at 24 years old.. I of coarse had to make a slightly perverted number)

I have recently noticed a big increase in battery drain on my Tour however. I went from a normal discharge rate around 3.3% To almost double that. My battery at the end of the day (Work second shift) goes to yellow. Before, I would leave work with over 40-50% Battery left. My phone even mysteriously died on me during a trip to PA this last weekend, when I had THOUGHT it had a nearly full charge.

Some Apps I have installed:
    VVM
    Pandora
    Slacker
    MeterBerry
    Poynt
    WeatherBug ELITE
    Shazam
    SpoofApp (Fun times!)
    FML (Pretty much a launcher)
    QuickLaunch
    Bank Of America App
    Google Maps
    Ka-GloM
    BB app world
    And.. Google Voice!

Memory stands around the 120's

My most recent app installed however.. Was infact Google Voice. This application does constantly run in the background as well.
    08-05-09 11:42 AM
    you can turn gv on and off
    08-05-09 12:00 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, But this is of no use to me. If I'm going to be using it I expect it to be on, and if I was going to have it off I wouldn't have the program. I understand however. I was just curious to see if anybody else has run across this problem? I REALLY like the alternative number you are able to have, and I have used it quite a bit already, as well as receiving calls on my end. It would not be in my best interest to turn it off right now, as I am wanting to use it. But, if battery life is a factor, i'll have some re-thinking to do.
    08-05-09 12:05 PM
    Have you tried GV Dialer? It's not as classy looking as Google's app, but I haven't noticed any battery drain with it and I actually prefer it's dialer integration over Google's.
    08-05-09 12:09 PM
    google voice is worth it alone just for incoming calls. and the gv dailer dials your normal gv number (i think) instead of the dail out number the google app.

i would be careful using any app that uses a different dail out number because it is not custom to you...other people use the same number, so it is likely to be blocked.
    08-05-09 02:51 PM
    I just dial my GV number and make a call without using the gvDialer.
    08-06-09 07:49 AM
    Same battery drain on my 8330. I tested this by staying signed out for 3 days and my battery returned to normal. I think what's draining is the fact that it constantly tries to load your history. I uninstalled and moved back to GV Dialers which has native SMS support which Google's app lacks.
    08-06-09 09:59 AM
    Noticed the same thing, I had my phone charging all day at work, left work at 100% and came home to 33%! You don't need the app to receive calls. So just run it when you need to make a call thru it. I don't know what it's doing while idle but I'ts doing too much. There needs to be more control in the settings like how often to refresh or just allow you to refresh manually.
    08-06-09 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD