I am now using Google Voice and am wondering if anyone is using Google Voice to avoid a number change when they early terminate their agreement and re-signed with a carrier.

If you are not familiar with Google Voice, basically, you get a phone number tied to you for life and it will ring numbers you have confirmed at yours so that your current phone (no matter the number) rings when someone dials your permanent Google Voice number. You never have to inform people of a number change again. So far, works flawlessly for me. I will say that I do find it a little Big Brother-ish and so I am currently only using it for things like my credit card contact info (so that I never have to change that information). But, obviously, it works for personal contacts, etc.

If you are considering this, you can go request an invite from google.com/voice.

-R.
    06-28-09 08:23 AM
    I should add - I posted this in this Forum (Tour) because the release is still a couple of weeks away and so people interested in the Tour have time to request their invite to Google Voice and let people know of their new number prior to the phone's release.

-R.
    06-28-09 08:25 AM
    Google Voice is processing invites back from 2007 until those that sign up now. Keep in mind it has been reported that only 1 million numbers were reserved. I know I have requested an invite but that was over a year ago, and I still have gotten nothing from Google. (unfortunately i never signed up for GrandCentral even though I had an invite pending )
    06-28-09 08:28 AM
    Google Voice is processing invites back from 2007 until those that sign up now. Keep in mind it has been reported that only 1 million numbers were reserved. I know I have requested an invite but that was over a year ago, and I still have gotten nothing from Google. (unfortunately i never signed up for GrandCentral even though I had an invite pending )
    How about I had a invite in 2007 and ignored it? I didn't want to go through all of that, but man do I regret that decision now.
    06-28-09 08:32 AM
    Ah, this is a good point, Sith. I believe I reserved when it was GrandCentral and also more recently. (The e-mail address to which the invite was sent is one I have only been using for about a year so I'm not sure it was, in fact, the one I used on Grand Central when I requested to join.)

Well, perhaps it was much ado about nothing! I hope someone is able to use the service to rid themselves of changing mobile numbers.

-R.
    06-28-09 08:33 AM
    How about I had a invite in 2007 and ignored it? I didn't want to go through all of that, but man do I regret that decision now.
    11/26/2007 I have still in my gmail box lol
    06-28-09 08:36 AM
    I have google voice been having it since Grand Central... love it. I had my cell number changed several times but with Google Voice--- I never have to do that again because I only give out my GV as my main number and have it transfer to my cell. MY GV is one of my fave family and friends so all my calls are free
    06-28-09 08:58 AM
    While this is a great solution for phone calls, I'm assuming that you would still need to give close friends/family your "real" cell number for texting purposes (assuming you use it, that is).
    06-28-09 09:01 AM
    actually GV offers text sms for those in your contacts without giving out your cell. But I don't use it... those closest to me have my cell and we text more than talk on the phone. I'm just getting into the BB Messenger.
    06-28-09 09:03 AM
    French - I know that if you text my google voice number, it comes to my mobile phone. But I assume you are correct regarding texting from my phone. We need a perfect solution!
    06-28-09 09:18 AM
    GV is quite good as it is now, but I have a feeling that the google team will be adding some cool features soon
    06-28-09 09:29 AM
    I have google voice and its about perfect. I just Wug there was a simple solution to have your google voice number show up on caller id when you call from any of the phones tied to my account. I know there are ways but they all take to long and you have to have a data connection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 09:56 AM
    GV is cool, but it has several limitations that stop me from using it as my main number:

-You can reply to SMS from your cell phone, but if you send a new SMS from your phone it won't use the GV number

-Calls originated from your phone won't use the GV number

-Received SMS show up as being received from GV instead of the contact, so on the BB all GV SMS will show up in one 'thread'. They do put 'Contact Name:' before the message though

-I don't think it supports MMS
    06-28-09 01:46 PM
    hmmmm. Sounds like an interesting idea though. I'm not sure it's possible for them to fix it though.
    06-28-09 02:05 PM
    You can call quite easily from GV from your BB... and soon you'll be able to SMS from it too.

3C brought this app to my attention, and it is pretty decent. I can call and SMS with it: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/goo...lities-257883/
    07-08-09 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD