Couple questions: I have Verizon and use a Tour 9630. I have YouMail currently in use and wonder if I'll need to close out my account with the service to use Google Voice. (Just got my invite today and chose my number and successfully setup my account.) I downloaded the Google Mobile App but don't know if I have the "right" app that everyone is talking about on this thread. I don't see Google Voice anyplace in it. I'm really in need of some direction with this new feature. Should I scrap YouMail? Do I have the right app from Google on my phone or is there a Google Voice specific one? Any tips or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Todd
    07-27-09 10:53 PM
    does this work just like vlingo? i didnt read the whole thread and im not really familiar with this app. if it does i definitely want it
    07-27-09 10:59 PM
    Couple questions: I have Verizon and use a Tour 9630. I have YouMail currently in use and wonder if I'll need to close out my account with the service to use Google Voice. (Just got my invite today and chose my number and successfully setup my account.) I downloaded the Google Mobile App but don't know if I have the "right" app that everyone is talking about on this thread. I don't see Google Voice anyplace in it. I'm really in need of some direction with this new feature. Should I scrap YouMail? Do I have the right app from Google on my phone or is there a Google Voice specific one? Any tips or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Todd
    You want the Google Voice app: Google Voice on your mobile phone

I like the features of Youmail, so I still use it for my real number. There are ways to use YouMail with Google Voice; let me know if you're interested in that. Both have their pros and cons.

In addition, I prefer GVdialer to the "official" app I referenced above. It is just better, but is not free. You can trial it for 30 days.
    07-27-09 11:01 PM
    Sigh.... Not available in canada... I was so excited when I got my invite but I can't even use it! Argh..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 11:07 PM
    You want the Google Voice app:
    I like the features of Youmail, so I still use it for my real number. There are ways to use YouMail with Google Voice; let me know if you're interested in that. Both have their pros and cons.

In addition, I prefer GVdialer to the "official" app I referenced above. It is just better, but is not free. You can trial it for 30 days.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Definitely interested in ways to keep YouMail and use Google Voice concurrently. I just found and downloaded the right Google Voice app to my Tour so that's all good now. I looked at GVDialer for $10 which isn't a big deal as far as cost goes. I will definitely download the trial version right now. I appreciate any and all help with this new app/service.
    07-27-09 11:30 PM
    So just so I'm clear in order to dial out from the app you have to dial an access number? Basically what I'm trying to figure out is if I use it from my BB will I pay minutes or data or both? Yes I can add it to my favorites but I'm trying to understand how exactly it works?

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks
    07-28-09 09:38 AM
    So just so I'm clear in order to dial out from the app you have to dial an access number? Basically what I'm trying to figure out is if I use it from my BB will I pay minutes or data or both? Yes I can add it to my favorites but I'm trying to understand how exactly it works?

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks
    Yes you have to dial an access number in order for your Google Voice number to show up on the recipient's callerID. Or you can use the mobile app and call through there... it's integrated with the BB's address book so it works fairly well.

Calling will use only your minutes.
    07-28-09 09:50 AM
    Is it available in Asia?
    07-28-09 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Definitely interested in ways to keep YouMail and use Google Voice concurrently. I just found and downloaded the right Google Voice app to my Tour so that's all good now. I looked at GVDialer for $10 which isn't a big deal as far as cost goes. I will definitely download the trial version right now. I appreciate any and all help with this new app/service.
    3C has a great thread here... nice contributions from others like Jamestbrewer as well.

There is info on how to combine YouMail with Google Voice. It is lebgthy but informative: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/goo...lities-257883/
    07-28-09 10:27 AM
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a pretty big lag time between when a text message is sent to your google number and when it is received by the GV App? (I'm on VZW, using an 8830 WE, and have disabled receiving SMS messages on my cell phone from GV.)

Last night I was noticing that I had to manually "refresh" the app to show any new messages about 95% of the time.
    07-28-09 10:39 AM
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a pretty big lag time between when a text message is sent to your google number and when it is received by the GV App? (I'm on VZW, using an 8830 WE, and have disabled receiving SMS messages on my cell phone from GV.)

Last night I was noticing that I had to manually "refresh" the app to show any new messages about 95% of the time.

Yes! I noticed that... another reason why I don't use it.
    07-28-09 10:55 AM
    So today while talking to a friend through GVoice, the call went silent. Waited for bout 10 seconds or so and couldn't get a response from a friend. So I hung up and redailed through the Google Voice App and it wouldn't go through 4 or 5 times so I had to eventually use my original phone number. My friend had said the same thing, she couldn't hear me and it just went silent.

Anyone else have a problem similar to this?
    07-28-09 05:07 PM
    I received an invite but it says it isn't supported in my country. Wow. I'm in Boston not Bosnia what's gives?
    07-28-09 06:17 PM
    Here it is. am I the only one who received this:

Google Voice is not available in your country.Thanks for visiting Google Voice. We're not yet open for users outside the US, but are planning to expand our service to additional countries in the future.
    07-28-09 06:32 PM
    Don't forget you can pick your own number with Google Voice. It costs $10 but if it's gonna be your permanent number anyway....
    I got to choose my own number, and it didn't cost me a dime.
    07-28-09 08:11 PM
    Dont Know If You Figured This Out...But Instead Of Having Your GoogleVoice Number On One Of Your Favs...........Make The Access Number* Be In The Favs!!

*Access Number: The Number That Google Uses To Make Outbound Calls!!!
    Where do you find the Access Number? Sorry, I'm new to this and just started using it today.
    07-28-09 09:31 PM
    Where do you find the Access Number? Sorry, I'm new to this and just started using it today.
    The access numbers will show when you make or initiate a call from/on your BB. I assume you're using the official app?
    07-28-09 10:49 PM
    i am pretty sure you need the gv number on fave's too for inbound calls to be free.
    07-29-09 05:02 AM
    You can actually take advantage of this and add the google access number as one of your FAVS and guess what? All your outgoing calls will be considered free and not count against your minutes. That is of course dialing through the google app. There I just saved you a ton of minutes

What is the number its dialing? Can this really be added to friends and family on Verizon?
    07-29-09 07:39 AM
    Do the sms sent/recieved count towards data usage? I have limited sms so i was hoping it could be free since it doesnt use my actual number...
    07-29-09 10:10 AM
    Do the sms sent/recieved count towards data usage? I have limited sms so i was hoping it could be free since it doesnt use my actual number...
    What app are you using?

Generally, if you receive it on your phone (which most likely means it is forwarded), you are using up texts.

Sending goes over the Google servers, so it is free to you (but counts for the person receiving).
    07-29-09 11:46 AM
    Can anyone post a link to download the Google Voice app? Thanks.
    08-01-09 02:42 PM
    Can anyone post a link to download the Google Voice app? Thanks.
    https://m.google.com/voice

08-01-09 03:16 PM
    ^ Thanks MsCooley...how've you been sister?
    08-01-09 03:21 PM
    ^ Thanks MsCooley...how've you been sister?
    Helllo! I'm good. Trust the same w you?

08-01-09 03:23 PM
118 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD