07-18-09 11:59 AM
38 12
tools
    May not be the right place but since i have the 8330 figured why not. Has anyone used Google Voice on their BB? What has been your impressions of it? Any tricks or tips about it? Just signed up for it yesterday.
    07-11-09 10:59 PM
    Been using it for a while now. I really could not live without it. Remember, it is not a land line. It is a gateway.

The only trouble I have had was with soft changes. Moving from one phone to and other with it. Moving from the office, to the blackberry, to the home line. It takes a little work to get used to, but it does work.

Have you been invited yet or still waiting.

The one tip I would say is that for some reason the really good easy to remember numbers are like very last in the list. So keep searching for them.
    07-11-09 11:40 PM
    Yes I signed up for it last night. From my understanding I can add the number to my friends list and make unlimited calls as long as i call my GV number to make the calls, any luck or experience with that?

Also is there any way to be able to call someone off your contacts list when calling the GV number. We have come to an age where we don't remember numbers and to right down the number I want to call every time would suck. Any way to set up like a delay or anything so it will automatically dial the number, maybe a cut and paste the number?
    07-11-09 11:45 PM
    Ok you could import your contacts from a CVS formated file (export it from outlook) and then just use the web interface on your phone by going to www.google.com/voice
    07-12-09 02:29 AM
    Still waiting on an invite from google. -Sighs- I really want to try this out .
    07-12-09 08:52 AM
    Ok you could import your contacts from a CVS formated file (export it from outlook) and then just use the web interface on your phone by going to www.google.com/voice
    I have my contacts synced with google not Outlook, could i use that at all?
    07-12-09 10:18 AM
    to use your bb contacts and google voice as easy as possible, you may need to install GV dialer: GVdialer Home.

also, i have my gv number set as my t-mobile favorite, so all my incoming/out going calls from my GV number are now FREE!
    07-12-09 11:22 AM
    All true..............Gvoice and GVdialer, a match made in heaven !!!
    07-12-09 11:28 AM
    So I got the GVDialer. Slow, ugly but works.

I understand how out going calls can be unlimited if added to fav5 or my circle but can someone explain how incoming are? I see the number of the person calling in the caller I'd.

Any other hints or tricks as well?

Was thinking 1 thing that could screw google on this. Say a person has his work phone setup on gv and losses employmenr there. Calls to his work number would still ring him and he could easily talk smack about the company on what the person calling would think is their line.
    07-12-09 07:20 PM
    I understand how out going calls can be unlimited if added to fav5 or my circle but can someone explain how incoming are? I see the number of the person calling in the caller I'd.
    Log in to your GV account...in Settings somewhere, you can set GV to show your GV number when people call. You lose the benefit of seeing who is calling you through caller-ID. However, if you have Call Screening and Call Presentation enabled in GV as well, you'll hear who is calling you before you actually speak to anyone.
    07-13-09 07:22 AM
    Does the caller ID need to display the GV number rather then the person calling's number?

I have learned and it maybe good for others. If you log into the mobile google voice site you can place calls from there. Also if you are near a computer you can place the call there and it will ring which ever phone you tell it to.
    07-13-09 09:18 AM
    Does the caller ID need to display the GV number rather then the person calling's number?

I have learned and it maybe good for others. If you log into the mobile google voice site you can place calls from there. Also if you are near a computer you can place the call there and it will ring which ever phone you tell it to.
    If you want any calls to/from your GV number to be free (as far as your Verizon minutes are concerned), yes...the number that appears on your BlackBerry's caller-ID needs to be your GV number. This assumes, of course, that you have added your GV number to your friends and family list at Verizon.

I really prefer GVdialer over dialing from my web browser, especially since GVdialer is incorporated into both the Address Book and Call History screens. SMS is being added to GVdialer in the very near future (today?), too.
    07-13-09 09:51 AM
    If you want any calls to/from your GV number to be free (as far as your Verizon minutes are concerned), yes...the number that appears on your BlackBerry's caller-ID needs to be your GV number. This assumes, of course, that you have added your GV number to your friends and family list at Verizon.

I really prefer GVdialer over dialing from my web browser, especially since GVdialer is incorporated into both the Address Book and Call History screens. SMS is being added to GVdialer in the very near future (today?), too.
    Good call on the history but you could always log into the web to see that too. Hopefully Google will make an app that will work like GV Dialer but more seamless like when dialing from the web.
    07-13-09 10:16 AM
    Good call on the history but you could always log into the web to see that too. Hopefully Google will make an app that will work like GV Dialer but more seamless like when dialing from the web.
    Well, hang on...let me clarify what I meant. I'm just saying that, when I find the name of the person that I want to call -- either in my Address Book or the Call History screen on the BB -- I can call that person from either the GV number or my cell number simply by choosing the appropriate BB menu option. Unfortunately, if you make calls through GVdialer, "Google Voice" appears in your BB's call history -- not the name of the person you actually called.

As you said, though, you can view your true call history on the web if you really need to.

As far as seamless, you know...this latest version of GVdialer (that will come out soon) is integrated into the BB's features very well. If you use GVdialer, try the following settings after you upgrade:
    • Settings > Use GVdialer 'off' (this prevents GVdialer from handling every call automatically)
    • Settings > Connect by 'Call out'
    I think you'll find that calling is pretty painless whether you call out using your GV number or your regular cell number.

I'll be happy to try whatever Google comes up with, but how long do we have to wait for that to happen? lol.
    07-13-09 10:44 AM
    • Settings > Use GVdialer 'off' (this prevents GVdialer from handling every call automatically)
    • Settings > Connect by 'Call out'
    I am not seeing where i can set those settings?

The 1 thing I don't like about the GVDialer when comparing to calling from the web is when using the GVDialer it needs to call your Google number and then enter in all the information. It slows down the call, but browsing through your contacts online does as well. That is why i'd like to see a Google Voice app.
    07-13-09 10:56 AM
    I am not seeing where i can set those settings?

The 1 thing I don't like about the GVDialer when comparing to calling from the web is when using the GVDialer it needs to call your Google number and then enter in all the information. It slows down the call, but browsing through your contacts online does as well. That is why i'd like to see a Google Voice app.
    You won't see those settings until you have the chance to upgrade GVdialer to the new version. Word is the new version is supposed to be out today, but I wouldn't hold the company to it.

You're right -- processing the call via GVdialer is a bit slower, but GVdialer has to work with the system that Google set up on their end. We'll see if Google ever releases an app.
    07-13-09 11:08 AM
    THX Butcher

I'll keep an eye out, I'll post when I see it if you could do the same that would be great.
    07-13-09 11:10 AM
    THX Butcher

I'll keep an eye out, I'll post when I see it if you could do the same that would be great.
    Sure thing. Actually, I just checked the GVdialer blog (GVdialer Blog). It was updated today. I guess the final version is out now.

Enjoy!
    07-13-09 11:18 AM
    LOL Installing now. How is it already on 3.22? Did they start at ver 3?
    07-13-09 11:31 AM
    LOL Installing now. How is it already on 3.22? Did they start at ver 3?
    I see a long string of numbers in the About screen, but I think the blog says it's considered version 2.0. hehe Confusing, eh?

Was just looking at some pics taken by the Tour:
    Flickr: kILOfOXtROT's stuff tagged with tour

Resisting...urge...to...upgrade...BB....
    07-13-09 11:44 AM
    The new GV Dialer is a lot cleaner. I kind of like the "Connect by: Calling me back" You don't have to listen to the automated system this way.
    07-13-09 11:44 AM
    Nice pics with the Tour. Used my Curve to take some pics this weekend, crappy bout all i can say. I have to resist the Tour as I just got my Curve in March and can't afford the full cost to upgrade. Good news is there Tour will be on the low end when i can afford to upgrade.
    07-13-09 11:47 AM
    The new GV Dialer is a lot cleaner. I kind of like the "Connect by: Calling me back" You don't have to listen to the automated system this way.
    Yea, true. What I didn't like about "Calling me back", though, was the ring-back. I have GV set to show the GV number anytime a call comes in, and I'm not willing to mute the ringer for those calls.

Eh, well...I set the ringer to one "bing" sound, and that wasn't so bad.

Glad you like it.
    07-13-09 11:47 AM
    Still waiting for Google to release an app that brings the pros of the web dialing and GVDialer together.
    07-13-09 11:52 AM
    Go here to tell Google Voice to make a BB App:
    Contact Us - Google Voice Help
    07-13-09 12:48 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD