i just upgraded from a pearl to a bold ... i was fortunate enough to have found google sync like 3 weeks before i got the bold. So all my contact information just sync'ed to my bold without any problems!

google sync is awesome!
    01-19-09 08:12 PM
    Congrats on a wonderful purchase! And welcome to cb.com.
    01-19-09 08:16 PM
    Wow. I am tempted to go to google but am scared to dump outlook. Wireless sync of calendar would be s weet

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 08:25 PM
    How do you do the google sync? Basic instruct on where to start.
    Please

01-19-09 08:25 PM
    Wow. I am tempted to go to google but am scared to dump outlook. Wireless sync of calendar would be s weet

So dont dump Outlook. Just Export your contacts from outlook into Google. They will still stay on Outlook, and that way you will benefit from the OTA sync. I use Google Sync for my calendar and contacts. Its a "poormans BES"...HA. It works great!!!!
    01-19-09 08:52 PM
    Can someone give some basic instructions on installing google sync on my bold pleaseee?

01-20-09 12:58 AM
    Can someone give some basic instructions on installing google sync on my bold pleaseee?

goto google.com on your phones browser..then click on more. then go down to Sync and click on that..then click install.

I luv google sync.
    01-20-09 02:56 AM
    Go to m.google.com/sync on the browser of your blackberry
    01-20-09 03:28 AM
    I used google sync for many months now but are thinking on ditching it. If you use invitations for other contacts to a meeting, they do not sinchronize to google, I can live with that. Every time google sync deletes records from your BB, the asistants to your events get a cancellation message, even if the event is past due!

I get questions from my contacts about cancellations of meeting that we already had!
    01-20-09 03:33 AM
    Welcome to CB! I too love google sync
    01-20-09 03:48 AM
    Welcome to CB! I too love google sync
    ditto!
    01-20-09 01:25 PM
    I love Google Sync. I have mine setup so that when I make a change to my calendar or my contacts on my Bold...it syncs with Google and then when I turn my laptop on it syncs with google to update my Outlook. I make one change in one place and it updates everywhere I need it. Google + BB BOLD = a match made in my own little heaven.
    01-20-09 01:27 PM
    I love Google Sync. I have mine setup so that when I make a change to my calendar or my contacts on my Bold...it syncs with Google and then when I turn my laptop on it syncs with google to update my Outlook. I make one change in one place and it updates everywhere I need it. Google + BB BOLD = a match made in my own little heaven.
    And you haven't had any clashes or duplicates or disappearing events? Are they all set to 2way sync i.e. Can you change/add/remove an event in any of the 3 platforms, and the other 2 update?

01-20-09 01:44 PM
    I love google sync as well. Calendars and Contacts are automatically backed up.

I do hate the way Gmail handles contact editing. It's impossible to edit a contact if you e-mail them often, as it will complain that there is a duplicate contact when you try to save it. I wish there was a way to disable the whole "automatically add most e-mailed contacts to address book" feature.
    01-20-09 02:10 PM
    I love google calendar - BUT the one big drawback for me is that it automatically deletes events on the BB after 4 weeks have passed. I would like to keep these events on my BB so that I may go back and look stuff up. It should at least be a user programable setting.
    01-21-09 08:00 AM
    And you haven't had any clashes or duplicates or disappearing events? Are they all set to 2way sync i.e. Can you change/add/remove an event in any of the 3 platforms, and the other 2 update?

I have Google sync set up on the phone to only go from the phone to Google.
    I have google Calender to only sync from Google to Outlook on my PC. This way I make all changes on the Phone only and it gets updated automaticly in 3 different locations. I have not had any issues with disapering data.

If I make a change I have to make it on the phone only inorder for the other 2 to update. If I make a change on Google or Outlook first I have to go back to the other 2 and make the chnage by hand.

This works best for me because I am away from my PC most of the time when I need to make an update. I know that when a change is made it will be synced with google and outlook so if anything happens to my phone...I have 1 backup of all my Contacts and 2 backups of my Calender. Google does not have a 1 way sync from Google Contacts to your Outlook contacts.
    Last edited by BDV1973; 01-25-09 at 08:52 PM.
    01-25-09 08:13 PM
    Best invention ever!!!!
    Dont even really need to use the desktop to sync your address book anymore.
    01-25-09 08:21 PM
    Best invention ever!!!!
    Dont even really need to use the desktop to sync your address book anymore.

You said it...I still use the DM to sync my Tasks...Contacts...and Memos to Outlook...but I only do that every once in a while.
    As long as there is an updated copy of my contacts and calendar in Google I am good to go.
    Last edited by BDV1973; 01-25-09 at 08:54 PM.
    01-25-09 08:31 PM
    I stopped using Google Synch because it has screwed up my calendar on my Blackberry to many times. Google Synch completly blows up if you have recurring events. I wish Yahoo calendar had an OTA synch likw Google. Yahoo's seems much more stable.

01-25-09 08:32 PM
    it's still got a long ways to go, but depending on your needs, it works wonders. I share my calendar with other people in a snap and get it all on my bold.
    01-25-09 08:48 PM
    thanks for all the welcomes! i'm replying so late 'cause i totally forgot i joined this forum.

but yeah, i'm experiencing issues with deleted calendar entries also. i'm running version 0.5.13, which versions are you guys using?
    01-28-09 10:54 AM
    I'm only a few weeks into my new BB. Biggest problem is what I will do for calendar. I assumed, coming from Palm, that there would be a desktop software with the DM cd to which i could sync my calendar, contacts, etc. I don't use Outlook and I won't. Is there anything to sync the BB calendar to? I like the calendar, so have no problem keeping that on the phone. Is Google calendar the best option? is it easy to use on the BB? or can I sync the BB calendar with Google calendar...

any help appreciated.
    01-28-09 11:43 AM
    Wow! I've been waiting for a thread like this. I WANT to love Google Sync but I to am having many issues with the calander on my Storm deleting events. For example: I'll set an appointmnet (on my storm) to work with a customer say: January 3rd through the 6th. Everything is fine for a few days and then the BB Calendar all the sudden says I'm only working with my customer on the 3rd....the 4th, 5th and 6th are deleted, but....it's still correct on my Google calander??? Also, why is there no option that let's your device (storm) be the winner when there is a discrepancy, or vice versa. Am I missing something? BTW...the screw ups usually only occur with past events.
    01-28-09 11:55 AM
    I have Google sync set up on the phone to only go from the phone to Google.
    How do you set up a one way sync form the phone to Google for contacts?
    01-28-09 12:36 PM
    I'm only a few weeks into my new BB. Biggest problem is what I will do for calendar. I assumed, coming from Palm, that there would be a desktop software with the DM cd to which i could sync my calendar, contacts, etc. I don't use Outlook and I won't. Is there anything to sync the BB calendar to? I like the calendar, so have no problem keeping that on the phone. Is Google calendar the best option? is it easy to use on the BB? or can I sync the BB calendar with Google calendar...

any help appreciated.
    yeah, it's supposed to sync your BB to your google calendar. If you're lucky enough to not run into issues, then google sync seems to be a good way to go ... just visit m.google.com/sync on your BB to download and install it ... once downloaded, run it by logging in with your gmail account with the calendar you want to sync to.
    01-28-09 12:46 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD