can someone tell me how google sycn works? i'm scared to use it. i have a lot of contacts on my phone, along with their email address and work/home addresses.

i don't have all of my phone contacts on my google/gmail account.

i'm afraid that if i get google sync and sync with my phone that my phones contacts will be overwritten with the few contacts i have saved within my google/gmail account.

how does this work? will it send my phones contacts to the gmail or the other way around?

thanks!
    04-10-09 12:14 PM
    I use google sync just to sync my calender. I was a little weary of the contact sync also. I like to keep my BB contacts and my gmail contacts separate. There is an option on google sync to NOT sync contacts. Hope this helps!
    04-10-09 12:38 PM
    i want to ONLY sync contacts and so i'm curious as to how that works. i'd like a wat to back up my contacts without using DM.
    04-10-09 12:40 PM
    Ohh i see, my bad lol. Im actually not sure. Sorry.
    04-10-09 12:48 PM
    I created a new google account that I use only for backing up my contacts... I don't use email from this account, so it doesn't have any contacts added except from my berry.... It's just nice to have another form of backup just in case...
    04-10-09 12:55 PM
    What does it sync onto your google account? Name, phone numbers, emails addys?

How about work/home addresses, birth dates and aim/bbm pins etc?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 01:40 PM
    hi chrisy, i had the same questions about it today, so i said scr*w it and i did it anyway. it syncs name/phone/email/ not pins though. i only had 3 contacts in my gmail contacts and when i synced, it just added all the stuff from my phone to gmail.it didnt delete anything and didnt mess up anything. EDIT** it also didnt sync birthdays, but im still trying to figure out how to do that. i think because my birthdays were added using a different email address, it didnt sync my bb birhtdays to the gmail calender. im still trying to figure it out as well...
    Last edited by kwmksavage; 04-10-09 at 08:59 PM.
    04-10-09 08:57 PM
    Awesome, kwmksavage!

Thank you for taking one for the team and trying it out! i appreciate the info a lot!

04-10-09 09:01 PM
    no prob . yeah, i just figured id jump . its actually a very easy to use interface. i would definately do it. i also wanted a printable copy of my contacts, and the syncing with the calender so i could get my teams schedule on the berry
    04-10-09 09:04 PM
    i just did it! Synced fine and didn't delete my phones address book! Very cool!

Yes, i wanted a contact back up bc i don't use DM all that much. Good to have 2 back ups!

04-10-09 10:10 PM
    good! it is very cool . we learned something new today!
    04-10-09 11:12 PM
    Google Syncs Backs up:

Names
    Title
    Numbers
    Addresses
    AIM/Yahoo message name

i'm wondering if the calendar on the phone syncs with google calendar. If so, say you lost your contacts...you sync everything and it goes back on the phone...would the birthdays just go into the calendar or be put back into the contact address entry.

Also, i wish it sycned PINs and Notes.

04-18-09 08:55 AM
    just looked at Google Calendar for the first time on a pc.

it doesn't sync the birthdays that are in my bb's calendar?

bummer!
    04-18-09 10:32 AM
    is there any other sync support birthday and pin field in bb
    05-25-09 09:42 AM
    Does anybody have success using google sync and not having duplicate / multiple contacts synced?

i.e. I had:
    Joe Smith 555-555-5555 (BB)
    Joe Smith joe.smith(at)email.com (gmail)

after sync now I have (2) contacts:
    Joe Smith 555-555-5555 (BB and gmail
    Joe Smith joe.smith(at)email.coml (BB and email)

I want (1) contact:
    Joe Smith 555-555-5555, joe.smith(at)email.com (BB and gmail)

(sorry I had to use (at) instead of @)
    06-03-09 05:16 PM
    i had that issue as well. for me it was because the name entries in my contact list on the blackberry were different from what i had on gmail. even if slightly different it would double my contact. i went into gmail and deleted all the double contacts from there and re synced. then the contacts were sent from the device to gmail account.

so far so good.
    06-03-09 05:31 PM
    Does anybody have success using google sync and not having duplicate / multiple contacts synced?

i.e. I had:
    Joe Smith 555-555-5555 (BB)
    Joe Smith joe.smith(at)email.com (gmail)

after sync now I have (2) contacts:
    Joe Smith 555-555-5555 (BB and gmail
    Joe Smith joe.smith(at)email.coml (BB and email)

I want (1) contact:
    Joe Smith 555-555-5555, joe.smith(at)email.com (BB and gmail)

(sorry I had to use (at) instead of @)
    Go onto Gmail on your computer, go to your contacts, and select the two that are duplicates and find the option that says "merge contacts".
    06-03-09 05:56 PM
    Wow! i didn't know there was a merge contact option in gmail!

Thanks!

06-03-09 06:37 PM
    is there any other sync support birthday and pin field in bb
    i give up using Google Sync
    06-03-09 08:25 PM
    I give it up too.
    I put a 3 day event on Google Calendar then syn it with my phone using Google Sync
    I got a crazy and stupid schedule on my phone. Instead of 3 day event, it came with one day event with 3 marks at the beginning of the day
    Crazy and stupid, google sync!
    06-04-09 12:22 PM
    Google sync still seems rather new, or at least still being improved upon, and Google seems to be updating most of their apps regularly. If you are a GMail, Google Apps (Docs, calender, etc) user, you will find a lot of convenience in using these apps together. I have just recently become a big Google fan, as they are constantly implementing new ways to access all of their services on the blackberry.

So far, Google Sync is working great for me, but I also do not have a lot of multiple-day calendar entries. But for my business, we have been using Google apps for spreadsheets, appointments, email etc. and I have been VERY impressed with how much I can actually do right from my BB.

I was a die-hard outlook user for 5 years, and never knew what I was missing with Gmail, now all I can say is WOW..... I can use the Gmail app on my BB to look at archived mail from 5 years ago (which I imported from Outlook to GMail). This is priceless, as before, I could only access my old emails from my work computer, and now can do it anywhere, anytime....

If you don't like the Google Sync right now, just wait, I'm sure it will be constantly improved upon and in the next couple of years, Google apps will be on EVERY phone....
    06-04-09 04:14 PM
    Are there any new updates on this?
    I have a Google Apps account where I put in all my contacts from my old business under the "CompanyName" category. Now, I have CompanyName, Most Contacted, All Contacts, and My Contacts.

I don't want to sync those addresses down to my BB. I want my BB to backup to it and restore to my BB upon BB crash but not the others. How can I do it?

(On WinMo, I had Dashwire(.com) which did everything through its portal which was awesome!)
    08-18-09 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD