Ok I so use Google Sync to sync my calendar already and had used it ONCE a few months back to sync my contacts but it duplicated a ton of my contacts on my blackberry. It took me awhile to clean it back up on my blackberry. Well yesterday I saw that it imported all my old BB contacts to gmail when I synced it the first time also most of them duped. SO I thought "hey since my BB is nice clean and organized with everyones email why not 'sync' my gmail account with it." Well I deleted all my google contacts since they are mostly duplicates and extremely unorganized and I didnt want to have to clean my BB again and proceeded to sync. I look at my phone this morning.....IT DELETED EVERY CONTACT FROM MY BB. Any quick way to get that back or do I have to wait to get home to upload my last backed up contact list which is who knows how old. I think it may still be in the phone somewhere cuz my call log still has everyones name on it whether or not they are in my contacts.
    08-12-09 09:18 AM
    Let me know if you get this figured out. I'm in the process of trying to sync my BB contacts with my google mail account and don't want to suffer this fate! I've figured out how to sync the calendars, but the contacts would be slick too.
    08-17-09 11:31 PM
    Yes I did figure out what the issue was (I think). Well I think, since they were already "sync'ed" the first time if you delete a gmail contact it will delete it on your BB and vice versa. Basically when I sync'ed the first time it duped alot of my gmail contacts on my BB. The 2nd time I sync'ed I deleted every gmail contact assuming my BB would update gmail. But the only contacts that remained on my BB and gmail were the ones that were my newest contacts that were not sync'ed the first time. I reloaded my contacts from my backup and deleted my gmail contacts again and re-sync'ed and everything loaded fine, except it deleted those few newest contacts I just deleted from gmail.

Moral of the story, you should be fine. Just realize that after your first sync, if you delete a contact on your BB it will be deleted from your gmail account and vice versa.
    08-18-09 07:58 AM
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but Google now provides an option for "Restoring contacts" under the "More" button for the "Contacts" page.

I just ran into this and wanted to help out anyone else who might encounter this.

Worked like a charm!
    08-18-12 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD