Many people were complaining about the problems with google synch. (contacts) and I was one of them. I wanted to figure out why I was getting multiple coppies of different contacts ect. Some people have allready touched on the proper set up of the synch. My problem was I had many contacts allready loaded on my google contact list in my PC along with many on my 9700. I went thru all my contacys on my 9700, made sure they were all just right, making sure the proper fields were filled out correctly. I removed the dashes I had between my phone numbers, (1-123-1234) to (11231234). I have Smrtguard downloaded on my 9700 ao I have another back up along with outlook express. Not taking any chances of loosing 500+ contacts. After changing and fixing all my contacts on my 9700 the way they should be (took my time and did 20 every day till finished) I deleted all my contacts on my g-mail account on my PC. After this I did a synch with googles synch and all my contacts were perfect. I used to just synch my calender but now have both calender and contacts synching on automatic and it works flawlessly. I was one who complained about google synch but if done right it works great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 08:04 AM
    I TOO HAVE APROBLEM with google snyc, it put certain contacts on my phone multiple times and i dont know how to fix it could you tell me how you did it thanks
    02-14-10 08:35 AM
    I never could get Google sync tp work properly. I hope this BES rumor is true. We shall see Tuesday. I use a Mac, and hope if it is true it is not limited to Office.

Right now, I USB my syncs.
    02-14-10 08:52 AM
    Deleting all the contacts off of gmail before syncing worked for me as well. Thankfully I don't have 500+ contacts though! My problem usually comes from how gmail handles addresses. On the Berry it has an "address 2" field and then "city" under that. Sometimes when gmail sync's it will move the city and everything under it up one line to fill the normally empty "address 2" field. Not a big deal for me as I just use outlook (now that I have it ) and BlackBerry seems to sync perfectly with it.
    02-14-10 09:02 AM
    im happy you got it working it still wont work for me
    02-14-10 09:41 AM
    I TOO HAVE APROBLEM with google snyc, it put certain contacts on my phone multiple times and i dont know how to fix it could you tell me how you did it thanks
    Make sure you go into your E-Mail settings and shut the synch setting off or you will have both google and your E-Mail synching your contacts and you will get repeats. I had the same problem with repeats. I found too make sure I didn't get repeats was to make sure all imfo on my contacts were in the proper fields, delete all contacts fromm g-mail and logue out of g-mail. Go to Google synch in y9our device and make sure in options you have your contacts checked and hit synch now. I had almoat 500 contacts on my device and everyone was perfect. I was freacken happy and suprised to say the least. (make sure your contacts in your device are done right) GOOD LUCK

02-14-10 10:38 PM
    Something else to bear in mind - Google Sync only sync's up those contacts that are in Gmail's "My Contacts" group. So, if you have squillions of contacts but only want a subset on the handset most move those that you don't want out of the My Contacts group.
    04-03-10 02:44 PM
    I am surprised BB doesn't package an app to back up everything to the SD card. Hate the fact that I have to rely on something like google. Can't wait to get my Bold so I can back up to the SIM card.
    04-03-10 03:25 PM
    I am surprised BB doesn't package an app to back up everything to the SD card. Hate the fact that I have to rely on something like google. Can't wait to get my Bold so I can back up to the SIM card.
    I think you are missing the point of google sync.

RIM does make it possible to sync via USB but if you are not on BES there is no OTA option. With Google Sync it's all OTA.

Backing up to your SD card is pointless if you lose your phone. Backing up with Google Sync ensures you never lose your data and also have access from any computer anytime anywhere.

Also SIM card backup is limited in number of contacts and fields available (birthday field etc...) Also what about calendar?

Works phenomenally for me. Sync multiple calendar and contacts without any duplicates or issues.

04-03-10 05:15 PM
    Hmmm, never thought of loosing my phone. But then thats wht I use deskptop for backups for. The only reason I want backups is my past years with Win mobile devices always crashing. I can't afford to loose my data when My lap top isn't handy. Having a backup of everything you want backed up on your micro SD would be the best IMO. However Iwill continue to use Google sync, especially because of what you just said Oracle. Thanks. Hopefully not hijacking.

Oh and for the record, Google sync has worked perfectly for me, I just don't like having to rely on it.
    Last edited by Garpoonga; 04-03-10 at 06:29 PM. Reason: because
    04-03-10 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD