i have come across the google maps app v3.2.1. i can down load it ok. when i click on the icon to launch it it start loading or installing? it gets a 1/4 way on the progress bar. then a i get a message.
    network unavailaable: this application requres a data connection yada yada.

i have a data connection for my email. i do not have an internet package. so the phone has wifi and email data.

is this not eneough for the app or am i installing it incorrectly?

Thanks for you help
    01-07-10 07:58 PM
    you don't have the berry that has GPS. you need GPS in order to use it.
    01-08-10 02:48 PM
    Google maps does not require GPS to operate, but if you only use wifi, it has no way to locate you. Without GPS it uses celltower triangulation through a data connection. Even if you got a BT GPS dongle, it would only work when your in WiFi anyway. Kinda useless, when the app is meant to be used when traveling.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 07:32 PM
    Google maps does not require GPS to operate, but if you only use wifi, it has no way to locate you. Without GPS it uses celltower triangulation through a data connection. Even if you got a BT GPS dongle, it would only work when your in WiFi anyway. Kinda useless, when the app is meant to be used when traveling.
    That makes a lot of sense. When I'm using Google Maps on my 8120, its never been able to pinpoint my exact location. Although looking at a map comes in handy, it'd help a LOT more if my phone just knew where I was.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD