I've installed, deleted, & reinstalled (x3) and when I try to open the app, the it only makes it about 1/3 of the way before dumping me back to the home menu.

Any help would be appreciated (I've tried searching the threads & was unsuccessful, so I signed up & created one).

Love the phone by the way. 1st
    07-31-09 08:42 PM
    I don't think its working for anyone... Telus doesn't

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 08:44 PM
    Google Maps works perfectly on my Verizon Tour. I don't know about any other carrier. Be sure your BB Browser is set to emulate BlackBerry. If it's set to emulate IE, for example, you may be fooling Google into sending the wrong file to your device.
    07-31-09 09:03 PM
    Mine has worked fine since I got it on the release. I have VZW
    07-31-09 09:09 PM
    VZW tour on G maps here has worked great since day one, except one time GPS wouldnt lock on with google or blackberry maps and a battery pull fixed that
    07-31-09 09:10 PM
    works fine for me. Nails me down to within 7 meters right now. And I'm inside the house even.
    07-31-09 09:12 PM
    Working great on my Sprint Tour. First app I installed out of the box!
    07-31-09 09:36 PM
    I've got the Browser set to emulate BB not IE or FF. Oh well, I'll delete & try again in a couple of days or so. Thanks for the responses. I'll bump the thread if/when it fixes.
    07-31-09 09:38 PM
    It's not clear to me from your post whether you are having a problem downloading Google Maps or running Google Maps once it's downloaded. Which is it? Do you have your internal GPS enabled? Options / Advanced Options / GPS / GPS Data Source: Device GPS; GPS Services: Location On; Location Aiding: Enabled.

There is also a self-test function you can use to verify that your GPS is working. On the Options / Status screen, type the letters test. You won't see the letters on the screen, but when you enter the second t, you wll be prompted to start the test. One of the options is to test the GPS.
    07-31-09 09:50 PM
    It's not clear to me from your post whether you are having a problem downloading Google Maps or running Google Maps once it's downloaded. Which is it? Do you have your internal GPS enabled? Options / Advanced Options / GPS / GPS Data Source: Device GPS; GPS Services: Location On; Location Aiding: Enabled.

There is also a self-test function you can use to verify that your GPS is working. On the Options / Status screen, type the letters test. You won't see the letters on the screen, but when you enter the second t, you wll be prompted to start the test. One of the options is to test the GPS.
    I'm having a problem running the app. Thanks for these instructions, I had to "location on" from "E911" only so I appreciate it. I tested the GPS receiver, got coordinates, then deleted & reinstalled the google map app.

Still doing the same thing.

Starts to run, then about 1/3 of the way through opening (per the status bar) it kicks me back out to the home menu.

One thing I noticed differently, is that when I went to delete the app, a message window popped up and said "Google maps (or this application) is currently running, are you sure you would like to delete it?" So, at 1st I didn't, re-opened and gave it about 3-5 min to open just to see if I was being impatient for the app. Still no luck, I deleted & re-installed and now still have the same problem.

BTW, Thanks for your help Jeff.
    08-01-09 07:15 AM
    When you download Google Maps, what version are you downloading? It should be 3.0.2. Where are you downloading from? If you are using some other address, try http:// mobile .google .com. (Spaces added so the address would show.)
    08-01-09 08:10 AM
    When you download Google Maps, what version are you downloading? It should be 3.0.2. Where are you downloading from? If you are using some other address, try http:// mobile .google .com. (Spaces added so the address would show.)
    V 3.0.2 from m .google .com. I'll try http:// mobile .google .com. & update you.

Thanks again Jeff. What a helpful community this is.
    08-01-09 08:34 AM
    Still no luck. I guess I've kind of put all my eggs into 1 basket (Google) - I'm currently running gmail app & the contact/calender sync app. Wonder if that's causing conflict?

Is there any other nav app that would do what google maps mobile would (traffic, directions, places of interest, etc.)?

Thanks again folks.
    08-02-09 07:34 AM
    I'm new to BB, but in recent research on problems with Google maps I saw suggestions to delete the app via Desktop Manager rather than on the device, then reinstall. Worth a try perhaps?
    08-02-09 07:57 AM
    08-02-09 08:08 AM
    Still no luck. I guess I've kind of put all my eggs into 1 basket (Google) - I'm currently running gmail app & the contact/calender sync app. Wonder if that's causing conflict?

Is there any other nav app that would do what google maps mobile would (traffic, directions, places of interest, etc.)?

Thanks again folks.
    There are other possibilities: Poynt, LifeinPocket. I haven't used those, but I've read about them. But Google Maps should work for you. There is a problem with Sprint as the poster above noted, but that's apparently a Sprint issue. Google Maps works with the GPS in the Tour. Are you running any other apps that could be taking control of the GPS? BBMaps? Any location-based app?
    08-02-09 08:51 AM
    My gps won't work with google maps or poynt. But I did the test and it can find satallites. Any suggestions?

08-02-09 12:12 PM
    Here's my suggestion: after futzing with Google Maps, Amaze, BB maps, etc ad nauseum for the past couple weeks, with sporadic and at best occasional satellite reception, I deleted all of them off my phone and went to Comp USA and bought a Navigon touch wide screen GPS unit refurbished with a 2 year warranty for 90 bucks. Gets satellites in seconds, works perfect, and I can save the battery on my Tour.
    08-02-09 12:39 PM
    There are other possibilities: Poynt, LifeinPocket. I haven't used those, but I've read about them. But Google Maps should work for you. There is a problem with Sprint as the poster above noted, but that's apparently a Sprint issue. Google Maps works with the GPS in the Tour. Are you running any other apps that could be taking control of the GPS? BBMaps? Any location-based app?
    I've just deleted google maps using the DM app loader. Reinstalled - still the same problem. It loaded BB maps (which had not been on the device previously I'm assuming). I have yet to open BB maps, and I assume it will run a setup when I click on it. Other than that, there should be nothing using my GPS receiver.

Not sure what I am doing wrong - or if it's an initial basic blackberry setup issue that I missed out on. This is my first "berry."
    08-02-09 09:19 PM
    No, BBMaps won't run a setup. Once installed, all you have to do is click it to run it. Try it. If it won't run, there's something really wrong with your device.
    08-02-09 09:33 PM
    I installed google maps the day I got my tour (july 12) and it has worked flawlessly since then I run v 3.0.2 gps works great as well and is extremely accurate.

08-02-09 10:05 PM
    I dunno if anybody has suggested this...but...a battery pull might fix this...I'm not sure if you tried that.

08-02-09 11:09 PM
    Best I can get is within 2600meters. I'm on VZW. Any way to get it better?
    08-03-09 10:21 AM
    Best I can get is within 2600meters. I'm on VZW. Any way to get it better?
    That means Google Maps isn't using your GPS. Go to Options / Advanced Options and ensure the GPS Source is set to Device GPS, Services is set to Location On, and Location Aiding is Enabled. You should get 10-m accuracy or better from the internal GPS.

08-03-09 11:46 AM
    Works fine for me for vzw, though my pinpointed location is off by 1-2 miles

Edit: just did jeff's thing' works better now. Thanks

Last edited by foolie; 08-03-09 at 11:57 AM.
    08-03-09 11:54 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD