04-08-10 10:10 AM
46 12
tools
    Why does my BB get so HOT while running this program?? . . . working too hard?
    04-07-10 02:24 PM
    Seems like you should be investing in a TomTom or something with preloaded maps.

Personally, I'd rather not weigh down my phone with maps of Bangladesh's inner workings from a first person perspective. It's not necessary. That's exactly why I'm glad it leaves a light footprint and loads what I need it to load, not what everyone else on the planet needs. They have their own devices, they can load their sections of the map. I'm not wasting flash memory because people are too impatient to wait the 10 seconds it takes to load.
    (snip)

This is the very mentality I am referring to "I have a constant Internet connection so what is the use of having it on the device?"

If that's fine with you, so be it, it is NOT fine with me. I'm not into "cloud computing" when it comes to things such as this. It's the same reason the people who prefer the prior version of Google Maps are having to ask for a link to the old version--if there was a .jad file or something like that on their hard drive of the old version, you wouldn't need a link to the previous version, it would be on your hard drive, no big deal.

Yes, to me, 10 seconds IS a long time, especially when you're about to make your turn. Numerous times this has happened & I zoomed-in for detail, only to encounter it needing to load data yet again. When I zoom in, I want detail, IMMEDIATELY, not a freaking "waiting for data to load" prompt or whatever. Patience is NOT a virtue here, and as I often-times say--the presence of patience does not imply nor excuse a lack of productivity. Maybe I'm patient with a person driving 55mph in a 70mph zone while they're in front of me, but they're still inconsiderate for doing it at my personal inconvenience. Speed up, or move out of the way.

Do you want to have to re-download the Windows XP SP3 update for every PC you have in your house? There you go. Personally, I downloaded it, and I will never have to again. When I setup Windows on a different PC, and need SP3, I don't need to re-download it all over again every time. Nor do I have to keep hunting down its Internet location if Microsoft keeps moving it around. I save it to "D:\Downloads\Windows XP Updates," and there you have it.

Yes I realize what the advantages of a constant Internet connection are, especially if it's broadband--and yes, I still watch DVDs on it. (I watch YouTube as well.) As for my Blackberry Bold 9000, I upload my own converted MPEG4 video clips to its flash memory, rather than using YouTube--no waiting. Yes it's the same old clips, but they fire up IMMEDIATELY, and they do NOT require an active high-speed connection to work. You don't have to worry, either, that the videos get removed because YouTube took offense. They're yours, FOREVER.

I don't stream audio over my PC, I download the MP3 (from Amazon, no DRM whatsoever) or I rip the CD, store it on my hard drive. Why re-download it every single time I want to play the song? That's nuts. This way it saves time and I have no worries about the record companies yanking it off the site or the connection going down & my losing access to them. They're there, period.

The only issue with preloaded maps, as I see it, is the usage of flash memory, and the time needed for the initial download-installation. Once the initial setup is done (assuming it's not an outrageously monstrous job), it's nothing but 100% better.

If the flash memory has the capacity, then it should be an option. If you want a minimal installation with everything loaded the "cloud computing" way, then fine, if it's a case of that a "local-preloaded" installation would eat-up 85% of the Blackberry's RAM & you understandably want to forgo that, I respect that. I am just saying that those who want "local computing" should be satisfied that way also. Sometimes, the old way is better & should be offered to those enlightened enough to realize its advantages and to utilize them.
    Last edited by larrytxeast; 04-07-10 at 02:52 PM.
    04-07-10 02:39 PM
    So why not look into other mapping applications that don't use 'cloud' methods?

Also, I use Macs, I don't waste my time on PCs, so I don't have to worry about Security Packs.
    04-07-10 02:41 PM
    So the touch screen doesn't seem to be supported on my Storm 1. If I click the screen the menu opens. I can't move the map around, zoom, etc with the touch screen. If I Enable Compatibility Mode then the screen is responsive but it obviously only uses half the screen real estate and seems to respond the reverse direction.

I probably use Google Maps more than any other app on my storm and it's somewhat disabled at this point.

Is it possible there's multiple jad downloads and the download page chose the wrong one somehow?
    What OS version are you running on your Storm?
    04-07-10 02:59 PM
    So why not look into other mapping applications that don't use 'cloud' methods?

Also, I use Macs, I don't waste my time on PCs, so I don't have to worry about Security Packs.

We have BlackBerries with built-in GPS and probably twice the horsepower of a lot of GPS devices. It's not a stretch for us to hope / expect similar functionality to occur, so that we can avoid carrying / purchasing two devices.

I use a Mac too, and what are you talking about? If we reinstall OSX 10.5.6 from the DVD, we then get to download OS updates (to .8), application patches, and continue to get security updates online. I'm all for "Mac is better," but don't use updating as your argument Everything needs updates, no matter what you label them.
    04-07-10 03:02 PM
    What OS version are you running on your Storm?
    5.0.0.328. The last official version for the 9530.
    04-07-10 03:08 PM
    (snip)

This is the very mentality I am referring to "I have a constant Internet connection so what is the use of having it on the device?"

If that's fine with you, so be it, it is NOT fine with me. I'm not into "cloud computing" when it comes to things such as this. It's the same reason the people who prefer the prior version of Google Maps are having to ask for a link to the old version--if there was a .jad file or something like that on their hard drive of the old version, you wouldn't need a link to the previous version, it would be on your hard drive, no big deal.

Yes, to me, 10 seconds IS a long time, especially when you're about to make your turn. Numerous times this has happened & I zoomed-in for detail, only to encounter it needing to load data yet again. When I zoom in, I want detail, IMMEDIATELY, not a freaking "waiting for data to load" prompt or whatever. Patience is NOT a virtue here, and as I often-times say--the presence of patience does not imply nor excuse a lack of productivity. Maybe I'm patient with a person driving 55mph in a 70mph zone while they're in front of me, but they're still inconsiderate for doing it at my personal inconvenience. Speed up, or move out of the way.
    I'm actually with this guy. Don't get me wrong, I love Google Maps, and I think the new update with the voice stuff is amazing how well it works. I have a $100 Magellan GPS (not a top line one or anything), and yes, I'd probably prefer to use that for turn-by-turn directions if I really don't know where I'm going. But there are things that Google Maps can do on my Bold 9700 that would be extremely difficult or impossible on my GPS. Plus, the "cloud computing" aspect of it has major advantages in locating vendors and businesses near my location, with some degree of confidence that the information will be up-to-date. By contrast, my Magellan still thinks it's 2007, and it costs the price of a new device just to upgrade the map.

But just because the "cloud" approach is good doesn't mean that it should be exclusive. No, I don't want a street-level map of Bangladesh saved on micro-SD, as one snarky posted indicated above. But just like I could cache a particular station on Slacker Radio (paid version), but not ALL of Slacker's music, why can't I just "cache" the map for the Twin Cities area, where I'm doing 95% of my navigation anyway?

It is a problem with GG Maps that everytime you try to load directions, etc., it tries to redraw the map from scratch.

Here's my question: Can you even use Google Maps if you take it out of a 3G/data zone? The GPS would work, but if there's no internet connection to DL the map....?
    04-07-10 03:24 PM
    ...Can you even use Google Maps if you take it out of a 3G/data zone? The GPS would work, but if there's no internet connection to DL the map....?
    You are correct. The GPS will still work, but once you move far enough off the current map that you need to download another map, you will begin to lose your map. Move completely off the last downloaded map and you'll see your location on a blank white page. You can easily see for yourself. Just turn off your radio while using Google Maps.
    04-07-10 03:37 PM
    I'm actually with this guy. Don't get me wrong, I love Google Maps, and I think the new update with the voice stuff is amazing how well it works. I have a $100 Magellan GPS (not a top line one or anything), and yes, I'd probably prefer to use that for turn-by-turn directions if I really don't know where I'm going. But there are things that Google Maps can do on my Bold 9700 that would be extremely difficult or impossible on my GPS. Plus, the "cloud computing" aspect of it has major advantages in locating vendors and businesses near my location, with some degree of confidence that the information will be up-to-date. By contrast, my Magellan still thinks it's 2007, and it costs the price of a new device just to upgrade the map.
    Still waiting for some help on my other issue...but in the mean time...GO WINGS!
    04-07-10 03:43 PM
    Has anyone noticed you can't rename favorite places now? Or am I just missing it somewhere? I used to be able to hit edit the favorite after adding, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore....kinda weak IMO.
    04-07-10 03:43 PM
    If your having problems on your storm make sure your browser is set to blackberry mode. Mine was set to firefox and the downloads are different.
    Thanks...I usually leave on Blackberry mode but forgot I changed it the other day to force a page to load full.
    04-07-10 03:51 PM
    I can't seem to save transit stops as favorites anymore. :-(
    04-07-10 03:55 PM
    my touch screen isn't working with this app. How can I fix it?
    04-07-10 04:41 PM
    I downloaded it twice set on blackberry mode and it keeps freezing everytime i go into Google maps menu
    04-07-10 04:53 PM
    See Post 35
    I did twice and anytime I go into the menu it freezes the whole phone
    04-07-10 05:35 PM
    still not using GPS on the 8530... and cell tower location got worse. good job google!
    04-07-10 07:12 PM
    I'm having trouble getting the touch version of the app. Anyone have a jad or alx?
    04-07-10 07:22 PM
    I am loving it so far. I love that you can search by voice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 07:44 PM
    VZ 5.0 and its running like a champ. Very polished. Used to get the spinning clock so much that google maps would be unusable. Now its almost instantaneous to load my location and the maps. Voice search works great as well!!
    04-08-10 02:13 AM
    Still no dynamic maps.....

What's with the static North must always face up on the device?

I want the Iphone version
    04-08-10 03:35 AM
    I initially updated to version 4 (I have the Bold 9000), it worked okay except, as others have noticed, I can't seem to rename favorites (now called "starred").

I rolled-back--to 3.0.1. I had 3.2.1 but can't find it, however I was able to get 3.0.1 from getjar.com (link Download Google Maps for mobile featuring Latitude for BlackBerry 9000 Bold) I downloaded OTA & also downloaded the .cod file to my PC.

As for this "new old" 3.0.1 version, vs the "old old" 3.2.1 version, the differences I see are
    (1) the "my location dot" is smaller
    (2) no layers
    (3) the car-walking-transit option when doing a search is a tab again instead of a selection before clicking "Search" or whatever, (4) the color of the outline on the map showing you what roads to take is purple instead of blue
    (5) if you place a point on a map & click it gives you options initially instead of "loading address" (although that's shown too) & requiring you to click again to get options--I actually prefer that way myself.
    (6) with the step-by-step directions, "re-route from my location" is not there anymore (reverse & save as a favorite are, though)

Those 3.0.1 vs 3.2.1 differences aside, thankfully my favorites were still there--in the same order, and (yes) I can rename them if I want to.

Sticking with that for now until the "can't rename favorites" quirk is fixed. If I could find 3.2.1 at the GetJar.Com site (or wherever) I'd use that, oh well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by larrytxeast; 04-08-10 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
    04-08-10 10:10 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD