New google maps 4.0.1 availavle including synching of favourites and voice searching! Check it out now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 11:39 AM
    Nice find. Liking it so far. Ever since rebooting after the install, my data is being used for no reason. It's periodically polling the server for some reason, even with GM closed and no other open apps. I hope this settles, because it will suck battery life quickly if this keeps up.

This never happened with the previous version.

04-07-10 12:01 PM
    sweet, thanks for the heads up.
    04-07-10 12:02 PM
    Nice find. Liking it so far. Ever since rebooting after the install, my data is being used for no reason. It's periodically polling the server for some reason, even with GM closed and no other open apps. I hope this settles, because it will suck battery life quickly if this keeps up.

This never happened with the previous version.

Google must have added that new Spyware feature to this build.

No seriously, I hope that settles down. I am about to install so I don't have any input yet.
    04-07-10 12:04 PM
    thanks. downloading now
    04-07-10 12:10 PM
    Holy schnikes this sucks. Man...constant data usage. I use GM many many times a day. It is a staple app for me, but I can't hang with this incessant data usage. I really need to go back to the previous version, but I'll just bet I won't be able to find a link.

Anyone else getting this?

04-07-10 12:10 PM
    is there a link, or do I upgrade through the app?
    04-07-10 12:12 PM
    I found it!!
    04-07-10 12:15 PM
    Holy schnikes this sucks. Man...constant data usage. I use GM many many times a day. It is a staple app for me, but I can't hang with this incessant data usage. I really need to go back to the previous version, but I'll just bet I won't be able to find a link.

Anyone else getting this?

After I installed, it was using alot of data, but once I close it out the data stopped. Are you leaving it running in the background?
    04-07-10 12:18 PM
    Scrolling around the map seems much, much smoother on my 9550. Also, there's a terrain layer I haven't noticed before. Finally, routing directions is very fast.
    04-07-10 01:05 PM
    After I installed, it was using alot of data, but once I close it out the data stopped. Are you leaving it running in the background?
    Just downloaded update . . . how do I check to see if its constantly using data on my BB??
    04-07-10 01:07 PM
    So what is the verdict should I update or would you all advise not to? Thanks in advance
    04-07-10 01:11 PM
    The data usage does seem heavy when the app is open but it stops once you back out of the app. I like the new features (buzz, labs, starred syncing, more layers like terrain) and scrolling around the map seems a bit quicker than before to me.
    04-07-10 01:16 PM
    So what is the verdict should I update or would you all advise not to? Thanks in advance
    Dont know about the data usage (not sure how to check that) but the voice search feature works real well
    04-07-10 01:17 PM
    Dont know about the data usage (not sure how to check that)
    I think it's just casual observation of the up/down arrow in the top right corner of your screen.
    04-07-10 01:24 PM
    Just downloaded....closing it out should end the data session.
    04-07-10 01:24 PM
    There is one main thing needed with an update that has yet to be provided: preloaded maps, everywhere, at every zoom setting.

I get so tired of having to wait for map detail to load every time I venture somewhere I've not been before, or when zooming in & out (even at places I've already visited which the program should've "cached"). Very annoying. I want it to operate "locally' as much as possible, only needing the Internet connectivity for updating the maps already downloaded to the phone--say, every 6 months, or for providing traffic information, or for looking up places of business. Just like stand-alone GPS units do it, they need no Internet whatsoever. So it should be with this (except, again, updating the maps or providing current traffic/place-of-business information etc).

If it makes it a 2 gigabyte downloaded, so be it, but do it.
    Last edited by larrytxeast; 04-07-10 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Clarification
    04-07-10 01:29 PM
    I added it and now my home page is stuck in compatability mode. Not on google maps but on my home screen. I deleted it from Maps.What up?
    04-07-10 01:34 PM
    And voice navagation that they put on the Android version.

I was REALLY hoping when I saw this update, but I knew in the back of my mind there's no way they would add that feature so soon. That's a huge free feature for Android, IMO.
    04-07-10 01:35 PM
    On .607 for the 9550 Google Maps freezes when bringing up the search function.
    04-07-10 01:41 PM
    So the touch screen doesn't seem to be supported on my Storm 1. If I click the screen the menu opens. I can't move the map around, zoom, etc with the touch screen. If I Enable Compatibility Mode then the screen is responsive but it obviously only uses half the screen real estate and seems to respond the reverse direction.

I probably use Google Maps more than any other app on my storm and it's somewhat disabled at this point.

Is it possible there's multiple jad downloads and the download page chose the wrong one somehow?
    04-07-10 01:52 PM
    On .607 for the 9550 Google Maps freezes when bringing up the search function.
    I am having the same issue..i just tried changing all the permissions to allow and a battery pull to see if this helps clear it up
    04-07-10 01:53 PM
    if anyone figures out the 9550 issue, and could let me know what to try. id appreciate it.

i have a bar on the bottom of the screen that says shows numbers and their options, even when i change compatibility mode.

or if someone knows where to downgrade to 3.2.1 thatd be even better for now.
    04-07-10 02:09 PM
    There is one main thing needed with an update that has yet to be provided: preloaded maps, everywhere, at every zoom setting.

I get so tired of having to wait for map detail to load every time I venture somewhere I've not been before, or when zooming in & out (even at places I've already visited which the program should've "cached"). Very annoying. I want it to operate "locally' as much as possible, only needing the Internet connectivity for updating the maps already downloaded to the phone--say, every 6 months, or for providing traffic information, or for looking up places of business. Just like stand-alone GPS units do it, they need no Internet whatsoever. So it should be with this (except, again, updating the maps or providing current traffic/place-of-business information etc).

If it makes it a 2 gigabyte downloaded, so be it, but do it.
    Seems like you should be investing in a TomTom or something with preloaded maps.

Personally, I'd rather not weigh down my phone with maps of Bangladesh's inner workings from a first person perspective. It's not necessary. That's exactly why I'm glad it leaves a light footprint and loads what I need it to load, not what everyone else on the planet needs. They have their own devices, they can load their sections of the map. I'm not wasting flash memory because people are too impatient to wait the 10 seconds it takes to load.

As Louis C.K. says, 'Is light speed not fast enough for you?'

Also why would you not take advantage of having a constant internet connection? That's like buying a broadband modem, hooking it up, and only watching DVD's. Wtf is the point? You have to realize, a BlackBerry is not a stand-alone GPS, nor is it built to replace one. Google Maps (or even BB Maps) is a utility to help you find things, not to reroute TomTom out your car window.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-07-10 at 02:20 PM.
    04-07-10 02:16 PM
    Yesterday I installed 3.2.1 on my freshly upgraded (with .607) Storm 2. It has the same issue - freezing on search screen.

Storm 2 users - what OS are you running?
    Last edited by TexPearl; 04-07-10 at 02:20 PM.
    04-07-10 02:17 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD