So google maps has been fixed now to recognize the tour as a non touch screen phone and use the appropriate interface. no the version number has not changed I don't think but it does work correctly as it should rather than how it does on the storm with non of the touch screen buttons. However, in the process google broke the icon that is shown on the applications menu. Now the icon does not change when you highlight it so the icon itself looks rather dull next to the others that light up and change. This makes me think that they ported the build from another phones version such as curve and simply forgot to change the icon. Either way, the app works like it should now, we will just have to wait for the icon fix. Enjoy.

EDIT:

After restarting the icon resumed its normal action. So I do say, google maps has now been updated to install with the non touch screen version for the tour. I would recommend you re install it if you already have it as it has all the key board short cuts shown and is missing the useless icons.
    Last edited by mjhubbard; 07-19-09 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Faulty info
    07-18-09 11:29 PM
    My icon changes when highlighted and I downloaded Google Maps on day 1. It's worked for me ever since I got the phone. Anyway, is a color changing icon really that important?
    07-18-09 11:37 PM
    Mine goes from a map that is wavy to a map that is flat . These icons are a huge change from the curve I had before so its taken some getting used to anyway.
    07-18-09 11:41 PM
    Mine has worked fine. I'm confused.do I need to re download it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 11:43 PM
    I can't get it to find my location using gps, how do I do this?

07-18-09 11:51 PM
    Looks like there's a few issues going on in here.

1. If you are happy with how Google Maps is working, there is no reason to reinstall it.

2. If you're not happy and think it's "broken", try reinstalling it, if you're still not happy, use BB Maps.

3. If you can't get it to find your location, find a thread where others are having the same problem, you will likely find your solution there.
    07-18-09 11:54 PM
    I can't get it to find my location using gps, how do I do this?
    I have the same problem. Google Maps never seems to use my GPS.
    07-18-09 11:56 PM
    I had to re download it today because i got a new phone (long story it was not broken) and i installed google maps. That is how i noticed the change. They must have updated it today or yesturday because it is different than the one i downloaded on day 1 (when i got my tour) it is missing the "buttons" at the bottom of the screen and displays the keyboard short cuts to use it. My thought is in the rush to get a "tour" version for the new OS they did a quick port of another phones version and screwed up the icon.
    07-18-09 11:57 PM
    I recently redownloaded the google maps tour version today and noticed that the screen icons were gone too. The only thing that worried me now was that it wasn't locating me with the gps but I just left it for awhile longer and it actually started using the gps. Hope that helps.

Btw, I'm on Vzw.

07-19-09 12:04 AM
    ok well i restarted the phone and the icon seems to be fixed so yey! no problems. So if you re install google maps, it will now be the non touch screen version for the tour.
    07-19-09 12:50 AM
    yeah i'm having issues with location using gps as well... it keeps saying "gps temporary unavailable
    07-19-09 01:09 AM
    not to sound like a jer* but did you try checking that gps location was turned on in the gps settings? it is defaulted to 911 only. mine is working fine. oh, it also only works out doors or near really big windows
    07-19-09 01:20 AM
    the change is that they made the download recognize the tour as a keyboard device instead of the storm..

so if your running the version meant for the storm there is the "locate me" button lower left hand that you cannot activate..

however you can zoom in and out with keys..

its definitely worth downloading the correct one so that it functions as intended but its up to you.
    07-19-09 01:32 AM
    not to sound like a jer* but did you try checking that gps location was turned on in the gps settings? it is defaulted to 911 only. mine is working fine. oh, it also only works out doors or near really big windows
    yeah everything is turned on

maps that comes with the tour works with GPS. The app poynt locates where i am using gps. only google maps cannot connect.
    07-19-09 01:47 AM
    check the program permissions but that should not be a problem (google changes them itself) my normal reaction would be to reinstall, worth a try...
    07-19-09 01:50 AM
    yeah i've done that already too.
    07-19-09 02:07 AM
    the change is that they made the download recognize the tour as a keyboard device instead of the storm..

so if your running the version meant for the storm there is the "locate me" button lower left hand that you cannot activate..

however you can zoom in and out with keys..

its definitely worth downloading the correct one so that it functions as intended but its up to you.
    Thanks! GM worked fine before but I was wondering why they left the touchscreen button there

The home screen icon is also a little bigger too, you can see the lines on the map icon without selecting it.

07-19-09 02:51 AM
    Thanks! GM worked fine before but I was wondering why they left the touchscreen button there

The home screen icon is also a little bigger too, you can see the lines on the map icon without selecting it.

no problem.. I just was so irritated with having the storm version I uninstalled it then noticed they fixed the download for it and have been loving it now
    07-19-09 04:30 AM
    What's the version number of the new version? I have 3.02. When I go to reinstall it, it tries to install the same version.
    07-19-09 09:19 AM
    What's the version number of the new version? I have 3.02. When I go to reinstall it, it tries to install the same version.
    As I recall, they didn't change the version number when they updated the app for the Tour, so if you were having problems, go ahead and try to reinstall the "same" version.
    07-19-09 09:34 AM
    Gmaps doesn't seem to work for anybody on Bell and Telus. I think its the same problem as the Storm, which also didn't work with gmaps.

07-19-09 09:38 AM
    As I recall, they didn't change the version number when they updated the app for the Tour, so if you were having problems, go ahead and try to reinstall the "same" version.
    This is true. I reinstalled it with the same version number, and now it doesn't think my Tour is a Storm anymore.

Nice!

And, yes, My Location is quite accurate.

Thanks.
    07-19-09 09:45 AM
    so recap, gps is broken possibly because of a carrier issue.

ggm is now updated to work like a tour not a storm so redownload if you want it fixed.
    07-19-09 10:18 AM
    So I have one question, because I downloaded Google Maps on Friday and I don't want to re-install if I have the latest revision. It seems to work OK - but I haven't ever used it before so I don't know what to compare it to and I don't think I see a "left touchscreen button". So for the people that have re-installed does it say version 3.0.2 (#3037) when you do Help -> A bout? I understand it's still version 3.0.2, but I'm thinking that the number in the parenthesis is the build number and should change even is the revision number is the same.
    07-19-09 10:34 AM
    yes the build and revision numbers are still the same. They did not change any thing really I dont think. I think they just changed how the site looks at the OS so that it recognizes that you don't have a touch screen and gives you a version more like the bold rather than the storm. This is probably not a new google maps, it is just the proper one for this phone.

You will notice all of google now recognizes the tour properly. Before, the youtube application installed as on a storm and was useless because you could not click accept. Now it wont let you install because "the phone is not supported yet"

So this is not a new google maps, it is just the correct one for this phone.

That said, You might as well go ahead and download it again because this one gives you the keyboard short cuts which are necessary to run, which is useful if you don't have them memorized (like me) and it gets rid of the unnecessary icons at the bottom of the screen which dont do any thing on the tour.
    07-19-09 01:44 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD