Google Maps. (m.google.com)
    Why is it it doesnt have pinch to zoom?
    it also lacks most of the features of the android/iphone version...

I realize no one can do anything about that... so in return can anyone recommend a good mapping software?

the maps that comes with my BB doesnt work in Baghdad for some reason. it loads the whole planet just not the country i am in.
    08-24-12 03:44 PM
    Have you tried the Google Map app? Not sure it works in your area either.

Google
    08-24-12 09:17 PM
    that is what i am using. it lacks pinch to zoom ... it has two zoom buttons
    08-24-12 09:38 PM
    Press "I" for in, "O" for out.
    08-24-12 09:56 PM
    Press "I" for in, "O" for out.
    Wow. It's like you're not even reading what the OP is saying.

To the OP, Google maps on the BB goes back the the days before BB had a touchscreen. And they really haven't done much with it since. At least not the UI part.

I hope they at least update it for BB10 when that time comes.
    08-25-12 12:40 AM
    Wow! I read exactly what they said. There is no "pinch to zoom", because the app hasn't been updated in years, nor will it be. I suggested a workable solution.

News Flash:
    Google owns Android, so they could give a rat's booty about BlackBerry support. There won't be any updates, which they clearly announced long ago.

News Flash #2:

RIM purchased Tom-Tom, so hopefully sometime in the future, BB Maps and Traffic will be supported by RIM worldwide.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I'm trying to be helpful, as an informed consumer.

FYI - Last update to 4.5.3 was March 11, 2011.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    08-25-12 01:47 AM
    Wow! I read exactly what they said. There is no "pinch to zoom", because the app hasn't been updated in years, nor will it be. I suggested a workable solution.

News Flash:
    Google owns Android, so they could give a rat's booty about BlackBerry support. There won't be any updates, which they clearly announced long ago.

News Flash #2:

RIM purchased Tom-Tom, so hopefully sometime in the future, BB Maps and Traffic will be supported by RIM worldwide.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I'm trying to be helpful, as an informed consumer.

FYI - Last update to 4.5.3 was March 11, 2011.
    Really? The first thing the OP asked was why Google Maps doesn't have punch to zoom and the BB maps didn't cover the area. Your first response was "have you tried Google Maps?". Seems the answer was obvious the the OP had tried it.

That's what I was talking about.

That, and it seemed the OP wanted to stay with the touchscreen interface.

That said, I agree that Google Maps is old, but the last update was well after BB began using touchscreens. They just chose to ignore it. BTW I have the current 4.5.3 version so I know plenty well its limitations.

Had not heard that Google stated they would no longer update it for BB though. Google Sync, yes (but never used it so no problem for me), but not Maps. That's new to me.

Though, I have to say that BB Maps' use of pinch to zoom is a bit clunky. You never know where it will end up when you're done.

It will be interesting to see how the Tom Tom deal works out.
    08-26-12 02:13 PM
    The OP did NOT state that the APP didn't work. The OP stated that m.google.com did not work. Two completely different things.

So BBW asked if the OP had tried the APP.

Regardless, it is what it is.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-26-12 04:43 PM
    It's ok Switch, should have paid more attention. I didn't help as much as I'd have liked. Too bad Joe could only offer criticism.
    08-26-12 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD