Hey everyone,

I just started using my new BB Bold yesterday and activated the BB service, my friend downloaded me the Facbook and Google Maps and MSN messenger apps for me, he told me that all three apps uses the BB service, I only used the Google maps (Latitude) and Facebook apps yesterday.

Today I loged into my service provider's website to check my bills and I noticed that there is GPRS usage for couple of hours (if not more), im already paying monthly fees for the BB service and didn't want to pay extra for GPRS, my question is, which of these apps uses GPRS? and which app uses BB service?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Nifo; 04-15-09 at 02:52 AM.
    04-15-09 02:49 AM
    your BB plan includes unlimited data usage, does it not? your phone requires your carriers GPRS/EDGE/3G data services to connect to RIM's servers right? soooooo im sure thats the reason why. it should be at no cost, considering its part of your BB data plan.
    04-15-09 02:58 AM
    your BB plan includes unlimited data usage, does it not? your phone requires your carriers GPRS/EDGE/3G data services to connect to RIM's servers right? soooooo im sure thats the reason why. it should be at no cost, considering its part of your BB data plan.
    BB plan includes 250MB of data only, it starts counting after the 250MB are used.....Im gona call them to see whats their problem, I don't think I reached 250MB in just 1 day
    04-15-09 04:00 AM
    it is very possible .. make SURE that u have an unlimited data plan ... or u will have to sell ur BB to pay the bill
    04-15-09 04:42 AM
    250MB is a crazy amount for one day. when i was with my last provider i used my phone to browse the net, stream music and tether. i only used about 40MB max in one month for daily heavy use. you need to be tethered for days, downloading all day to use 250MB. well, unless you are downloading huge files like movies and alot of music. regular browsing on the handheld shouldnt yield numbers like that in one day.
    04-15-09 05:01 AM
    BB plan includes 250MB of data only, it starts counting after the 250MB are used.....Im gona call them to see whats their problem, I don't think I reached 250MB in just 1 day
    I doubt they only show you a tally once you've used up your quota. It's more likely a running total of how much you've used in the billing period. I'm pretty sure the carriers are legally required to provide accurate usage data if you have a fixed limit with penalties for exceeding the limit.

In other words, they'll likely bill you once that number goes over 250MB. That's how Bell operates anyway.
    04-15-09 07:02 AM
    Thanks alot everyone for replying so fast.....

I doubt they only show you a tally once you've used up your quota. It's more likely a running total of how much you've used in the billing period. I'm pretty sure the carriers are legally required to provide accurate usage data if you have a fixed limit with penalties for exceeding the limit.

In other words, they'll likely bill you once that number goes over 250MB. That's how Bell operates anyway.
    Well, after calling them 3 times, they told me that they calculate it normaly as if I don't have a BB plan or anything, and when my bill gets invoiced they deduct the amount of 250MB from the total MB's used, so I guess im on the safe side! I didn't download anything (not even themes or apps), I only used BBM and Facebook and Google Maps (Latitude) and thats it, thanks again guys!
    04-15-09 07:16 AM
    using BBM and facebook wont use too much data. Google maps uses alot more. but i would be surprised if i can rack up 250MB from streaming a little bit of music everyday in a whole month.
    04-15-09 07:18 AM
    I didn't download anything (not even themes or apps), I only used BBM and Facebook and Google Maps (Latitude) and thats it, thanks again guys!
    I've yet to exceed 50MB a month - even including a download frenzy when App World launched I do a fair bit of surfing and a lot of email, too. The only thing you'd want to keep an eye on is Latitude... I'm not sure how much data it uses but you can see what it has used in the active session under "help."
    04-15-09 07:32 AM
    you can see what it has used in the active session under "help."
    I tried finding the Active Session under Help but couldn't find it
    04-15-09 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD