Is there any way to configure it so the map rotates, such that the direction you are travelling is always UP.

As opposed to north being '0 degrees'
    04-06-10 06:44 AM
    Yes, flip the screen... sorry, but that is the only way I know of to do that.
    04-06-10 06:51 AM
    Google maps isn't gps, which what I think you're trying to have it work like.

As Fatboy said, you will need to manually flip the screen by holding the phone different.

There are some free gps applications that might be more to your liking, check out the app store r app world.

Good luck!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 07:08 AM
    I love google maps only if it talk.
    04-06-10 07:23 AM
    If you want talking with your map, then get a wife.
    04-06-10 07:36 AM
    I have a wife and a daughter, combined they speak 8000 words per day and i get to speak only 400 words per day, maybe i should get a son and increase my words per day to 800
    04-06-10 07:42 AM

As Fatboy said, you will need to manually flip the screen by holding the phone different.

There are some free gps applications that might be more to your liking, check out the app store r app world.

Good luck!!

Yeah similarly to gps, or an electronic waypoint program

Oh well, thanks
    04-06-10 10:00 AM
    BBMaps has rotating maps. That's one advantage it offers over Google Maps. I don't know why Google doesn't have it as well.
    04-06-10 11:32 AM
    LOL

So very very true.
    04-06-10 03:15 PM
    I just noticed google maps on the iphone has this feature wtf??

04-07-10 01:11 PM
    I just noticed google maps on the iphone has this feature wtf??

People are still afraid off developing most features for the bb since it is 'soooo difficult'
    04-07-10 05:30 PM
    People are still afraid off developing most features for the bb since it is 'soooo difficult'
    Is that right? I'm fairly new to the BB game...so this is surprising news.

In fact I've been trying to compare the Iphone and 9700's processing power to see if it was a processing issue...
    04-08-10 03:28 AM
    BBMaps has rotating maps. That's one advantage it offers over Google Maps. I don't know why Google doesn't have it as well.
    I was told by a colleague (and I'll take his opinion with a pinch of salt) since he's a bit tech-dumb :P ...

That apparently the Iphone has a compass mode built in, and the 9700 relies on GPS satellites for location, thus making it harder to program this 'feature' into the BB.

Hmmm, I'm not even sure that makes sense.... :P
    04-08-10 03:33 AM
    I don't know what the iPhone has or doesn't have, but BBMaps and Garmin Mobile can show track up, so I don't think it's a processing power limitation.

04-08-10 04:13 AM
    I don't know what the iPhone has or doesn't have, but BBMaps and Garmin Mobile can show track up, so I don't think it's a processing power limitation.

AH ha, never seen/tried Garmin mobile...I'll see if it's available for South East Asia.

Yeah that makes sense ....although google maps does seem to be a bit more detailed with their maps...compared to BB maps. However I doubt that'd make much difference with the device's ability to dynamically rotate the map image.

Well thank you all. I think I'm going to have to email Google for this idea request!
    04-08-10 04:19 AM

Good luck!!

Neither is Blackberry Maps but it has this function.

To the original poster, not possible now but I hope they will add this in future.

04-08-10 06:01 AM
    I just "unlocked" BB Maps on my 9700 this week. I like the fact that you're direction of travel is always up on BB maps. I don't think the graphics are as tight, but the travel direction makes up for that. Also, the "dashboard" feature is neat. It gives you a count of how many sats you're connected to, your spead, compass heading and the name of the road you're currently on.
    04-08-10 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD