I just switched from the Curve 8310 and noticed that, after I installed Google Maps on my new 9700, I don't have the option anymore to pull up a contact from my address book and then select the menu button and see "show address in Google Maps". This means that I have to open a contact, copy the address, and paste it into Google Maps every time I want to navigate to a contact's address. Is there a fix to this that I've missed?

I'm running OS (5.0.0.296)

Google Maps - 3.2.1

Thanks
    12-14-09 09:29 AM
    Open up the address book, highlight a contact, hit the menu key, "Show on Google Maps" is near the top."

To be honest, I never new there was an option from Google Maps itself. What I described above is essentially the same thing.
    12-14-09 09:37 AM
    I know that is the way to do it, as that is exactly the way I use to do it with my Curve 8310. However, that option, at least for me, no longer exists on my Bold 9700. I have tried re-installing Google Maps and the typical fallback of pulling the battery.
    12-14-09 09:53 AM
    Thanks, but that doesn't solve the problem I inquired about.
    12-14-09 10:50 AM
    that option is still there for me....

try reinstalling googlemaps
    12-14-09 12:45 PM
    the option is there on mine, never used it
    just tried, worked fine
    12-14-09 12:53 PM
    that option is still there for me....

try reinstalling googlemaps
    I have tried re-installing google maps, as well as pulling the battery.
    12-14-09 12:56 PM
    From Life In Pocket for BB app you can open BB address book then clcik to open G Map. This is what I have been doing recently, very handy.
    Thanks, but it doesn't solve the underlying reason why I don't have the ability to do what I use to do on my Curve and what apparently others can do with their Bold 9700.
    12-14-09 04:22 PM
    Mha63 -

I had the same problem. I went to the Applications folder and deleted the BlackBerry Maps application. Once I rebooted after that, I was able to go to my Contacts, select a contact, and then select the "Show on Google Maps" option.

Hope that helps.

phishter
    01-26-10 02:46 PM
    The solution to scroll up to "Show on Google Maps" is there on mine.
    However, in my 1 test, if you have an apartment number in the address, the search doesn't work. Take out the apartment, search is successful.

What about when you have an address in your calendar in the notes field. It recognizes it's an address, but when you select "view on map" it doesn't use Google Maps, but blackberry maps instead. too bad.
    01-26-10 04:36 PM
    I can go into my Contacts and use the menu key to "show in Google maps" and it does but I can't figure out how to use that contact address in getting driving directions. It shows the location on the screen but I don't see in "menu" how to get directions from point a to the contact address. What am I missing? I'm running 3.2.0 Google maps. If I need to update what is the link to do that using my Storm?
    03-13-10 03:13 PM
    Not sure on the Storm but once Google Maps load the address I hit the enter key and it brings up a menu to select "Get Directions". Maybe you tap the screen on top of where the red teardrop shows up.

3.2.1 is the latest. Go to Google Maps for mobile

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 06:26 PM
    mha63,

I believe that once you have clicked "Find Location" or "Get Directions", if you just start typing the name of the person from your address book, a list will automatically populate below with the possibilities from your address book to enter their addresses. Lemme know if it works.
    03-14-10 03:00 PM
    All I get when I open Google Maps is the portrait view and the keyboard which won't go away. :-( I really need this app to work properly and so far the new upgrade to 3.2.1 is not. All help is much appreciated.
    03-14-10 03:09 PM
    I have 3.2.1 on my 9700, and everything works. The OP's .296 is a fairly early OS. Don't think that would matter, but
    When you re-installed, you had already uninstalled and battery-pulled, right?

@JsGrandma: after you select Show On Google Maps, press MENU button and select Get Directions. When you click on Start Location or End Location, that address will be one listed for you to click on.

PS For Storm problems, try turning Compatibility Mode on/off.

03-14-10 04:49 PM
    now there is no "show on google maps" on the menu key when I highlight a contact.........also how do I disable compatibility mode on the Storm?

Sorry to be such a bother but I really need a good GPS maps app and I thought this was it...........now re-thinking..........
    03-14-10 04:59 PM
    I found it... The old option to "Show on Google Maps" is still there on my 9700. It's just much lower in the menu listing. I had to scroll down to find it. It has it's own separate section. It even has a "Get directions with google maps" option too.

05-01-10 10:00 AM
    I found it... The old option to "Show on Google Maps" is still there on my 9700. It's just much lower in the menu listing. I had to scroll down to find it. It has it's own separate section. It even has a "Get directions with google maps" option too.

It's the same way on my 8330 Curve. It's near the bottom. Get Directions To.. and Local Search are near the top. They're reserved for VZnav on my phone.
    05-01-10 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD