Does anyone happen to know why Google Maps isn't available in App World (or at least I can't find it)? I like it because of the traffic feature. I can download it directly from Google, and it seems to work fine even on the latest 7.1 build. Just curious. TIA.
    02-27-12 08:21 AM
    Never asked myself the question since you can just download it from Google.
    But i don't have an answer for it. Since it's all working fine.
    02-27-12 08:28 AM
    Does anyone happen to know why Google Maps isn't available in App World (or at least I can't find it)? I like it because of the traffic feature. I can download it directly from Google, and it seems to work fine even on the latest 7.1 build. Just curious. TIA.
    As long as I've owned a smartphone, Google Maps was always an OTA download from Google. At least for several flavors of WM, nonstandard Android (the XDA-Developer early builds as 2nd OS on WM phones), and BBs.
    02-27-12 09:25 AM
    it's just the old way of doing things. App world wasn't available till 2009, but googlemaps was available much earlier than that.
    02-27-12 12:22 PM
    it's just the old way of doing things. App world wasn't available till 2009, but googlemaps was available much earlier than that.
    There's also the fact that Google has said they're no longer supporting BB. So, no app updates to go along with OS updates. At some point, the old apps will break the phone or the phone will break the apps.
    02-27-12 01:12 PM
    There's also the fact that Google has said they're no longer supporting BB. So, no app updates to go along with OS updates. At some point, the old apps will break the phone or the phone will break the apps.
    Since when? I remember they stopped development on the gmail app since it really wasn't needed. I don't recall them saying they'd no longer support BB altogether though.
    02-28-12 12:02 PM
    Since when? I remember they stopped development on the gmail app since it really wasn't needed. I don't recall them saying they'd no longer support BB altogether though.
    My mistake. It was certain versions of BES no longer supported by any Google apps (as of last May) and the gmail app for Blackberry completely.
    02-28-12 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD