LOL, Dave...let us know how you score!
    What's the lowest score? Zero? Or can I go negative?
    04-12-10 11:21 PM
    I am having the same issues. I cannot even use the app. Search is the most important part of that application so without it its totally useless to me. Really big bummer because this app is really valuable to me.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-12-10 11:37 PM
    I just tried that now and no, that part is not working, you're correct. That being said, I posted previously with Dave, that I don't really use the "Search" feature but instead, I type in the address of where I want to go and that part seems to be working fine. So, for me, it's doing what I need it to do but I see where, if people use the "Search" feature, there's an issue...not the first, I'm afraid.
    When people are discussing a particular feature that is broken in a software build, it would be a LOT more helpful if you mention that you don't use, never tried, that particular feature before chiming in that yours works fine and you don't understand why so many people are having problems. Surely you can understand that, no?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-10 05:43 AM
    yea i went back to google maps v 3.2.1 as well after numerous tries with google maps 4, tried everything i could think of but still kept freezing in the search screen. So yes reverting back to the old version with the link above works!! they need to get 4 working right damn it!! lol
    So does 3.2.1 not have the "search freeze" issue for you? and you're running .607?
    04-13-10 07:39 AM
    Guys, there is an on-going discussion about this in the google maps mobile help forums. Google is aware of the issue and has posted that it is being looked into.
    04-13-10 07:44 AM
    Guys, there is an on-going discussion about this in the google maps mobile help forums. Google is aware of the issue and has posted that it is being looked into.
    This is awesome news...

I am not conviced it's a GM issue... It looks like it is just another app that doesn't like whatever change they have made (or are making) to the Keyboard... On the S1's, everytime they broke a major feature (Camera, Clock) it was undergoing an overhaul... Maybe that is the case here?
    Last edited by Robert Calhoun; 04-13-10 at 08:33 AM.
    04-13-10 08:30 AM
    So does 3.2.1 not have the "search freeze" issue for you? and you're running .607?
    That's how it works for me at least. It worked on .607 before I upgraded to GM 4, then I retrograded back to 3.2.1 thanks to a backup file and it works fine again.
    04-13-10 08:47 AM
    When people are discussing a particular feature that is broken in a software build, it would be a LOT more helpful if you mention that you don't use, never tried, that particular feature before chiming in that yours works fine and you don't understand why so many people are having problems. Surely you can understand that, no?

No offense but that point works both ways. I completely agree that would it be helpful to be more specific, but the OP (as well as many others in this thread and others) - RATHER than be specific on the single feature that appears to be malfunctioning - make statements like "google maps is broken" and "google maps is completely unuseable!" (the title of this entire thread).

These statements are not helpful either (and frankly, untrue) as I am sure you can also understand? My search feature has the same issue, but my google maps (for me) is FAR from "unuseable"!
    04-13-10 08:56 AM
    No offense but that point works both ways. I completely agree that would it be helpful to be more specific, but the OP (as well as many others in this thread and others) - RATHER than be specific on the single feature that appears to be malfunctioning - make statements like "google maps is broken" and "google maps is completely unuseable!" (the title of this entire thread).

These statements are not helpful either (and frankly, untrue) as I am sure you can also understand? My search feature has the same issue, but my google maps (for me) is FAR from "unuseable"!
    Yes, I agree with that. Both approaches are wrong.

Last edited by jhimmel; 04-13-10 at 10:10 AM.
    04-13-10 10:06 AM
    Gmaps 4.01 works well, however there is a pretty nasty memory leak. This is my first memory leak on a 9550.

04-13-10 11:45 AM
    ::: sigh :::: This is getting ridiculous. Of COURSE I agree with what you're saying but perhaps, if you just stop and try and think for a moment, I did not see that it was the search feature in particular that was being referred to. There are bazillions of posts over numerous threads, most of which say "Google Maps doesn't work" or "Google Maps sucks." No details on which particular portion of the app isn't working. I'm not saying that it's not there at all, but I did not see it. I just knew that as I happen to use the app, it was working fine. I never claimed to be an expert on all things Google Maps and was familiar with every feature, every nuance, every aspect.

This is not the end of the world guys and I'm not exactly a newbie here, I simply made a mistake. Ok? Can we all just relax now and enjoy our Cheerios?

04-13-10 01:18 PM
    Thank you, J9, that was the point I was making in my previous post and then saw yours. Yep, I was responding to the generic statements and for how I use things, it was working fine. Ok...settled!

04-13-10 01:20 PM
    Gmaps 4.01 works well, however there is a pretty nasty memory leak. This is my first memory leak on a 9550.

For those of us who are not techies, does memory leaks cause battery drains as well?

TIA
    04-13-10 01:33 PM
    I have never associated battery leaks with memory leaks. But they could be associated.

.428 does work well with the voice search. its a shame. I will wait for Telenav 6.0 for the 9550 if I need voice search anx mapping.

04-13-10 02:01 PM
    My guess is, that while certainly not the biggest contributor to battery consumption, it would certainly have the potential to be a contributor. If there is a memory leak, then some process is running (and thus, retaining memory from the available bank) and thus, using power. Usually though, from what I've seen, people experiencing memory leaks are not also complaining of battery power loss, so there's certainly not a significant correlation.

For those of us who are not techies, does memory leaks cause battery drains as well?

TIA
    04-13-10 02:19 PM
    Tks for the info leglace and EnergyPlus.

Good Luck
    04-13-10 05:34 PM
    Good people, I only run what VZN says to run and I am running 607. I cannot get GM 4 OR 3 to run properly: they BOTH are locking up. I ran GM 3 for a long time on 320. For me, it is CORPORATE WARS right on my S2. If Bill Gates did half of what RIM/VZN is doing to Google, he would be under the jail house and the EU would own Microsoft. Doctor Neutron
    04-13-10 06:45 PM
    Good people, I only run what VZN says to run and I am running 607. I cannot get GM 4 OR 3 to run properly: they BOTH are locking up. I ran GM 3 for a long time on 320. For me, it is CORPORATE WARS right on my S2. If Bill Gates did half of what RIM/VZN is doing to Google, he would be under the jail house and the EU would own Microsoft. Doctor Neutron
    You should loosen up and venture out. Only installing what verizon approves is ridiculous. I love the service they provide, but they're complete boneheads when it comes to a bb OS. .517 is an incredible OS that is not a leak and GM 4 runs great on it...try it.
    04-13-10 07:16 PM
    A Problem: about half say GM4 runs fine on 607 and the other half say no. How many people agree that GM4 runs fine on 517 ?
    04-14-10 07:31 AM
    Good question, DN and I think the problem with the reporting here, is usage. As I've learned now, the way I use it, it appeared to work "fine" for me, but then when I was trashed for my INTERPRETATION of "works fine" and learned about other subsets that don't work so fine, I realize there are issues. Unfortunately, the vast majority of "it works fine" posts probably are not trying out each and every aspect of the program prior to reporting.

A Problem: about half say GM4 runs fine on 607 and the other half say no. How many people agree that GM4 runs fine on 517 ?
    04-14-10 12:38 PM
    On .517, GM 4 run perfectly on my phone. Both voice as well as typed search works, as does navigation, traffic and the new scale feature in Labs.
    04-14-10 01:35 PM
    My GM4 on .607 freezes on a search, as happens to others.

I downloaded the Google search app (m.google.com).

Now I open GM4, press and hold the phone button (which brings up the Google voice search), say a search command and everything works fine.

Not a complete solution, but the Google voice search seems to work very will with all of the applications that I have tried so far.
    04-15-10 07:20 PM
    No issues here either I installed over the old.

04-15-10 08:34 PM
    here is a link to revert to version 3.2.1 for those 9550 users running 5.0.0.607

m.google.com/maps/download/maps.jad?dc=gorganic&ver=3.2.1

they (Google) are aware of these issues and will hopefully fix them in their next release.
    Thank you. And, since I had to look up your hint again until I remembered that I had emailed your link to myself a few days ago, Thank you. Crashed 607 once or twice, but either multiple SteelThorn Quick Starts or RIM/Google got it to work on 607. As of 16-apr-10, 6:00 PM CST, GM 4.0.1 still locks up my S2 with 607 using either text or voice Search entry.

Your entry is very thoughtful and kind ! Doctor Neutron
    04-16-10 06:07 PM
    here is a link to revert to version 3.2.1 for those 9550 users running 5.0.0.607

m.google.com/maps/download/maps.jad?dc=gorganic&ver=3.2.1

they (Google) are aware of these issues and will hopefully fix them in their next release.
    Well I waited too long to DL this.
    It now downloads v4.0.1

Tks anyway caniac
    04-16-10 08:32 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD