I should state that GM 4 worked great before I installed .607 I just happened to update it the day before (Thursday) I installed the OS (Friday) I was very much impressed with the speed. Yes, it is faster. Seems like bradbogy may be right about the keyboard issue. That would explain things.
    04-11-10 11:50 PM
    For those looking for 3.2.0, the link on stormota.com still points to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-10 12:49 AM
    Fortunately, my GoogleMaps 4 is working great. Just did some voice searches for Rome and it works great!

However, the text names on the maps seem to be in a very small font....I'm having trouble reading them and I don't remember this on GoogleMaps3. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the font size of place names on the google4 maps? I'm leaving for Italy today and it would be great if I could see the names better! (I've checked the app menus and looked at the online GoogleMaps help link, but haven't found anything.

Thanks all
    Rich

EDIT: Spoke too soon. I am having the "lock-up" issue on typed searches with GoogleMaps4.
    This is a real pain since I'm leaving on a trip later today. Gonna try to reload 3.0 from my backups......
    Last edited by richs10; 04-12-10 at 08:23 AM.
    04-12-10 07:17 AM
    OP- I was having all the same problems. What happened to me was that I downloaded 4.0 with the browser set to Firefox. When you do this, it downloads the non-touch version. Delete it and redownload with browser option set to Blackberry. That will fix it.
    04-12-10 07:20 AM
    My browser is set to "Blackberry" and I have the search problem like everyone else, unfortunately. Hopefully a workaround/fix is coming soon. I use Google Maps more than any other 3rd party app.
    04-12-10 10:46 AM
    I had to change the default permissions as well. Seems to work fine for me with 607 installed.
    04-12-10 01:54 PM
    here is a link to revert to version 3.2.1 for those 9550 users running 5.0.0.607

m.google.com/maps/download/maps.jad?dc=gorganic&ver=3.2.1

they (Google) are aware of these issues and will hopefully fix them in their next release.
    04-12-10 02:32 PM
    I'm not so sure that GM 4.0.1 is the issue.

I was still using GM 3.2.1 right after the upgrade to .607 and had the exact same search freeze issue. I tried upgrading GM to 4.0.1, and still have the problem.

This suggests the problem lies with the .607 OS. I'm having similar issues with other apps since moving to .607. (e.g. Opera Mini)

Hate to say it, but the solution may be to downgrade the OS - to maybe one of the .517 hybrids. They seem to have no issues, but with all the "improvements" of .607.

If anyone on .607 is able to eliminate the GM search problem by going back to 3.2.1, please let us know.
    04-12-10 03:34 PM
    Once I did a battery pull it works fine. Love the Voice Search
    04-12-10 03:42 PM
    Once I did a battery pull it works fine. Love the Voice Search
    OS 607 and Gmaps 4? No it doesn't work. Just for you I just tried a physical battery pull and the search (not voice) hung GMaps
    04-12-10 04:34 PM
    here is a link to revert to version 3.2.1 for those 9550 users running 5.0.0.607

m.google.com/maps/download/maps.jad?dc=gorganic&ver=3.2.1

they (Google) are aware of these issues and will hopefully fix them in their next release.
    OMG thanks for the link. Downloading....
    04-12-10 04:39 PM
    Love the 4.0.1. Haven't noticed any bugs as of yet. Although I haven't tried voice search, yet. The only thing is that I wish I could change the method of locating by using GPS vs. triangulation with cell towers.
    04-12-10 05:14 PM
    Ok, perhaps I'm having a stupid moment (always possible) but while Google Maps 4.0.1 works just fine with my .607 upgrade, I was curious about the Voice Search ability and do not see it. I opened GM, went to the "Get Directions" (I was also logged in in case that is a requirement) hit the BB key but see no options for using voice. Is this confined to Google Voice only?

Not sure why some are having problems....It just so happens that I became aware of the GM update at the exact same time I was sitting here waiting for the OS upgrade to install, so as soon as it was finished, I went ahead and downloaded the new GM version. No problems at all, directions work fine (now, if I can only find how to use the voice feature)!

Ok. That workaround does work. (using the voice feature for searching) I haven't tried doing it from the menu (which is where it freezes). I think I'll be fine with this for a minute
    04-12-10 05:28 PM
    Ok, perhaps I'm having a stupid moment (always possible) but while Google Maps 4.0.1 works just fine with my .607 upgrade, I was curious about the Voice Search ability and do not see it. I opened GM, went to the "Get Directions" (I was also logged in in case that is a requirement) hit the BB key but see no options for using voice. Is this confined to Google Voice only?

Not sure why some are having problems....It just so happens that I became aware of the GM update at the exact same time I was sitting here waiting for the OS upgrade to install, so as soon as it was finished, I went ahead and downloaded the new GM version. No problems at all, directions work fine (now, if I can only find how to use the voice feature)!
    It's not even "get directions". It's "search" IIRC. (I've since deleted it). I wonder if you had your browser set wrong and downloaded the wrong version for a storm, perhaps? just a guess.
    04-12-10 05:36 PM
    Ahhhh...I see it now...I never used the "Search" thing, just the "Get Directions. I clicked on "Search Map" and there was the voice option. Thanks, Dave!

It's not even "get directions". It's "search" IIRC. (I've since deleted it). I wonder if you had your browser set wrong and downloaded the wrong version for a storm, perhaps? just a guess.
    04-12-10 05:39 PM
    Ahhhh...I see it now...I never used the "Search" thing, just the "Get Directions. I clicked on "Search Map" and there was the voice option. Thanks, Dave!
    YW. I hope they fix the maps issue soon. I know it's upsetting lots of BB users.
    04-12-10 05:42 PM
    YW. I hope they fix the maps issue soon. I know it's upsetting lots of BB users.
    Haha. It upsets me almost as much is the people in this thread that post saying that it works fine for them but have no idea about what we are talking about.
    04-12-10 06:02 PM
    Hmmm..not sure who you're referring to, but if it a. shows my GPS location, b. gives me accurate directions from point a to point b; c. allows me to join Latitude; and, d. shows me Satellite View as well as Traffic View, then yeah, it's working fine for me! What might YOU be talking about?

Haha. It upsets me almost as much is the people in this thread that post saying that it works fine for them but have no idea about what we are talking about.
    04-12-10 08:51 PM
    yea i went back to google maps v 3.2.1 as well after numerous tries with google maps 4, tried everything i could think of but still kept freezing in the search screen. So yes reverting back to the old version with the link above works!! they need to get 4 working right damn it!! lol
    04-12-10 10:00 PM
    Hmmm..not sure who you're referring to, but if it a. shows my GPS location, b. gives me accurate directions from point a to point b; c. allows me to join Latitude; and, d. shows me Satellite View as well as Traffic View, then yeah, it's working fine for me! What might YOU be talking about?
    Yes, in this instance, I am talking about you. Thanks for volunteering yourself. Go ahead, try and you the Search feature, hang Gmaps, and then try and use all of the other things you love about google maps. They wont work until you do a batter pull.

So instead of the software working like it should I have to pull over my car, do a battery pull, wait for my device to reboot, then use Gmaps for directions, latitude, GPS, etc.

If you are happy with this kind of performance, than that's you prerogative. I have higher expectations from Google and RIM and believe everyone else deserves it too.
    04-12-10 10:12 PM
    Your sarcasm is exceeded only by your poor spelling/grammar. That being said, I'll try and overlook it, though there really was no call for your initial post. When people complained that "Google maps isn't working” I pulled it up and, for how >>I<< use it, it worked fine. I don't use all the features. I use GM for...well, directions and that part is working just fine..........for ME. I don't have to do a battery pull or make any special arrangements, it does what I want it to do, thus my comment "it's working for me." It's too bad you have to do a battery pull just to get directions, but I'm not having that particular problem. Perhaps you should realize that not everyone is having the same problems and we all seem to have different experiences.

Thank you for volunteering yourself as a perfect example of why I secretly wish people had to complete a Myers-Briggs Personality Profile prior to being allowed to post.

Yes, in this instance, I am talking about you. Thanks for volunteering yourself. Go ahead, try and you the Search feature, hang Gmaps, and then try and use all of the other things you love about google maps. They wont work until you do a batter pull.

So instead of the software working like it should I have to pull over my car, do a battery pull, wait for my device to reboot, then use Gmaps for directions, latitude, GPS, etc.

If you are happy with this kind of performance, than that's you prerogative. I have higher expectations from Google and RIM and believe everyone else deserves it too.
    04-12-10 10:54 PM
    Your sarcasm is exceeded only by your poor spelling/grammar. That being said, I'll try and overlook it, though there really was no call for your initial post. When people complained that "Google maps isn't working� I pulled it up and, for how >>I<< use it, it worked fine. I don't use all the features. I use GM for...well, directions and that part is working just fine..........for ME. I don't have to do a battery pull or make any special arrangements, it does what I want it to do, thus my comment "it's working for me." It's too bad you have to do a battery pull just to get directions, but I'm not having that particular problem. Perhaps you should realize that not everyone is having the same problems and we all seem to have different experiences.

Thank you for volunteering yourself as a perfect example of why I secretly wish people had to complete a Myers-Briggs Personality Profile prior to being allowed to post.
    Are you saying that you cant get it to hang up by doing a search?
    04-12-10 10:56 PM
    Myers who?? Is that really relevant to posting on Crackberry? What's that you say? "It is!". Damn, learn something new every day. I'm off to take the test. wish me luck. or not.
    04-12-10 10:59 PM
    I just tried that now and no, that part is not working, you're correct. That being said, I posted previously with Dave, that I don't really use the "Search" feature but instead, I type in the address of where I want to go and that part seems to be working fine. So, for me, it's doing what I need it to do but I see where, if people use the "Search" feature, there's an issue...not the first, I'm afraid.

Are you saying that you cant get it to hang up by doing a search?
    04-12-10 11:05 PM
    LOL, Dave...let us know how you score!

Myers who?? Is that really relevant to posting on Crackberry? What's that you say? "It is!". Damn, learn something new every day. I'm off to take the test. wish me luck. or not.
    04-12-10 11:07 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD