I upgraded my Google Maps to 4.01. Since that time I began to lose memory consistently (about 0.5 MB/hour) . Memory would decrease even more the times I was actually using the application (and yes I did exit the app and not leave it running in the background). Rebooted my Storm and my total free memory was decreased by 1.5 MB. Again noticed memory leak. Again rebooted and my Storm rebooted another 1.5 less. Removed the application completely and booted up to what I would expect my memory to be (adding the fact that Google Maps was now off my Storm). Waited a day and left the application off and found no memory leak. Reinstalled again today and had the same problem with memory leak. In addition, I found my battery usage to be considerably more the times I had Google Maps 4.01 on my Storm.
    I really liked the upgrade, maps loaded much faster, searches was much faster and GPS position was obtained much faster. I hope other people have similar issues and it causes Google to make a fix.
    04-09-10 01:43 PM
    Google maps is a POS app. I discovered that while draining battery it is a memory hog. I am more happy using Bing maps and VZ Navigator instead.
    04-09-10 02:37 PM
    I've got a serious battery drain problem too...and maybe GMaps has borked up my FaceBook app (since installing GMaps, if I open FaceBook, it gets stuck in a status refresh). Maybe they're completely unrelated. I don't know why GMaps would affect FaceBook...maybe some kind of start up background config file that GMaps install affected screwed something up in general...Going to go back to an old version of GMaps for now.
    04-10-10 09:14 AM
    My memory hasn't dropped since i installed Gmaps, and haven't had to pull battery. You guys might have someone else going on.
    04-10-10 09:33 AM
    If you leave gmaps running in the background and don't exit it properly I have noticed the memory leak and battery drain also. But if you close it properly there are not issues with having it install.
    04-10-10 09:54 AM
    I just can't save places anymore or mark anything. And it seems really slow and bogged down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-10 04:17 PM
    I have the same problem with the upgrade of Gmaps. And yeah I sign out then exit the program but still get major memory and battery drain. To bad, I like this upgrade but I can't stand doing a battery pull three times a day.

04-11-10 12:33 AM
    OK, I deleted GMaps, restarted...tried running Facebook app again and that hosed everything up again. So I uninstalled Facebook and restarted. Reinstalled Facebook, installed Twitter Beta, and installed new GMaps, and everything is working fine now. No more battery drain and no more memory leaks (other than what I normally experienced prior to this event).

Of note: My original install of GMaps 4.01 was done with my browser set to Firefox (fail)...I deleted GMaps, set browser to BB, installed GMaps (good), and that's when things went funky with the battery drain, Facebook hangs, and memory leaking. So another possible cause of this problem was installing originally with Firefox? Just a possibility...
    04-11-10 08:38 AM
    Just out of curiosity, those of you who do not experience any battery and/or memory drain, is your memory compression enabled or disabled?

04-11-10 04:49 PM
    I am running .419 on my S1 and I am also seeing the memory drain w/version 4. I like the increased speed of version 4 and the voice search function, but I lose a lot of memory. I boot about 3 meg less of app memory than without it installed, and then it loses memory constantly the more I use the maps.

I can lose .1 meg just by opening and closing version 4. I did it 10 times in a row and lost 1 meg.

My battery use varies so much I don't know if version 4 is using more battery or not. But the memory drain is a problem.

Interestingly, over in the S2 forums there's a lot of chatter about version 4 locking up during searches. I experienced that only once on my S1. Anybody here seeing that?
    Last edited by pigsfly; 04-12-10 at 01:48 AM.
    04-12-10 01:46 AM
    Well as far as starred items go. The best thing you can do is just make a map of your own stuff with google maps. I did that and you can use all sorts of different images and icons for places. Like i got all my favorite poker bars used showing flaming pocket Aces on the maps. Lots of great places to go. I dont really notice a big drain on battery then again, I recharge my phone every night and it always seems on its last bar at the end of the day. I guess if you leave stuff on in the background thats what happens. Definitely use google maps and create your own map, its a great feature, u go into layers and just load your google map!
    04-13-10 05:47 PM
    works like a charm for me
    04-13-10 06:44 PM
    I am running .419 on my S1 and I am also seeing the memory drain w/version 4. I like the increased speed of version 4 and the voice search function, but I lose a lot of memory. I boot about 3 meg less of app memory than without it installed, and then it loses memory constantly the more I use the maps.

I can lose .1 meg just by opening and closing version 4. I did it 10 times in a row and lost 1 meg.

My battery use varies so much I don't know if version 4 is using more battery or not. But the memory drain is a problem.

Interestingly, over in the S2 forums there's a lot of chatter about version 4 locking up during searches. I experienced that only once on my S1. Anybody here seeing that?
    I tried this and it does the same thing for me too. Sometimes even more than .1 each time.

BTW, for those that are interested stormota.com has the 3.2.0 version.

I'm going to try that one for a while now.
    04-14-10 09:42 AM
    The new version has killed my phones performance, both battery and memory.
    04-14-10 11:07 PM
    Yep, it's killed my memory also. Nothing drains your memory better. You don't even have to run the app! Amazing! I love it, but it's gotta go. Adios...
    04-15-10 08:35 PM
    I reinstaled 3.2 and my phone is so much better. I think I can live without buzz

04-16-10 04:06 PM
    That voice search in 4.0 sure is too nice for me to stop using it. Even closing the app, it does seem to be a battery drain.

04-17-10 10:18 AM
    Can someone link me to version 3.2 for download?
    04-17-10 06:29 PM
    Can someone link me to version 3.2 for download?
    Last time I checked, stormota.com had it...
    04-18-10 07:58 AM
    link at stormota.com for older google maps is no longer active
    04-18-10 09:53 AM
    link at stormota.com for older google maps is no longer active
    Just tried and it worked for me.

Not using it though since I'm trying out Bing for now. Memory leaks were killing me.

also, here's another link, this one to 3.2.1

http://m.google.com/maps/download/bi...GoogleMaps.jad
    Last edited by doctorlove316; 04-18-10 at 12:26 PM.
    04-18-10 11:36 AM
    Count me in too. 2x the battery drain rate and consistent memory loss. I went back to 3.2.

04-22-10 08:07 AM
    Count me in too. 2x the battery drain rate and consistent memory loss. I went back to 3.2.

I tried that but every single time I opened the app, it prompted me to upgrade, it gave me an option but it was annoying to have that pop up EVERY time.

Does your version do that?
    04-22-10 08:56 AM
    i think the problem may also exist depending on what OS you're running. When i was running .419 i had both the memory leak and battery drain problems.....now that i'm running lyricidal .607 hybrid i haven't noticed any memory leaks or battery drain....just some food for thought....
    04-22-10 09:36 AM
    4.02 released... seems to fix the mem leak. not sure about battery drain as i never noticed it
    04-23-10 12:02 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD