My 8900 used to have great battery life until recently. Then all of a sudden it starting losing a full charge within a day of moderate use. I started removing third party apps to zero in on the offender. Last night it was the turn of Google Maps and voila, today the phone was back to its former self, going from 100% to just 75% in 10 hours. I re-installed Google Maps and it dropped from 75% to 60% in less than one hour. And yes, I made sure that during that time Google Maps was properly closed via 'exit' in the menu and was not showing up in the active tasks selector. Shutting it down after every use was the way I've been using this application all along, but previous versions up to 3.0.2 never caused my battery to drain like this. Has anyone else observed this?
    12-01-09 11:02 PM
    make sure you press the menu button and choose close or it still runs in the backround. GPS is a battery drain
    12-01-09 11:03 PM
    make sure you press the menu button and choose close or it still runs in the backround. GPS is a battery drain
    Did you even read my posting?
    12-01-09 11:04 PM
    Very interesting. I have noticed on my BB the battery drain has been way more than usual. I don't know what is causing it but this could be one thing. I just went into my settings and realized GPS was on so I turned it off. I will uninstall Google Maps and test as well. I barely use it.
    12-02-09 01:20 PM
    why in the heck would it be draining your battery even if you closed it properly? It doesn't seem possible, I don't know. You are exiting the app and when prompted you select "exit and disable sharing your location" or whatever it says?
    12-02-09 01:32 PM
    Do you use Google Latitude? On my old E71 I actually forgot to turn off "continue sharing location" and noticed my battery drained a lot.
    12-02-09 02:26 PM
    I noticed battery drain, certainly when it's running. I also "Exit" as close keeps it in the background. Plus I shut off sharing of Latitude.

I also shut off Google Voice from background but still the battery doesn't go as long as it used to. It's about a month new and it's the Seido that has increased mAh.

I've just dealt with it by always having a charger with me as I can't live without my Google Maps (use it for multiple things).

I'm glad that at least someone has pointed out the issue as I'm not the only one with the problem.

Still love the App though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 03:04 PM
    I can't live without my Google Maps (use it for multiple things)
    Just downloaded it yesterday. Seems like a cool app.

Could you share what some of the more important things are that you use it for?
    12-02-09 06:39 PM
    Other than the standard stuff.

1. I use it with the mobile Google App to search by voice for location. Kinda creepy at first but pretty cool how when I say "search for grocery store" it launches Google Maps and brings up a list around me.

2. I use Google Maps on the laptop to load places where I'm traveling. Then pull up the layers of My Maps on the mobile version when I get there. I travel several times per month so it's very helpful.

3. I use it with Latitude to keep up with my friends and family.

I'm afraid Google has me wrapped up more than MS now. Between Google and Blackberry, I couldn't choose which would worse to lose.

12-02-09 07:41 PM
    I went back to 3.0.2 and I don't see any battery drain with it. As to how 3.2.1 can drain the battery even though it was terminated via 'exit' - it is perfectly possible for a process to terminate without doing the proper clean-up, e.g. without terminating a child process it has spawned.

12-02-09 11:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD