To date I've been getting my GMail through BIS but I thought I would try installing Google's GMail app on my BB. Has anyone else found that it totally sucks the battery? I found this immediately and the problem went away as soon as I uninstalled it. It seems it must poll GMail constantly. Definitely not worth the trouble to have a dedicated user interface.
    02-22-09 11:47 AM
    I've been using the gmail app on my pearl and now on my bold, iand I can't say I've noticed any eecessive drain on the battery with either device. Sorry.

Interesting though...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 12:02 PM
    I've heard it gets "push" email and the push api isn't available to them yet I would imagine, so yeah it probably does a lot of polling

02-22-09 12:18 PM
    it might be because you're leaving it running in the background. i don't have the gmail app so i can't say if you need to have it running, but if you close out of it (menu>close/exit), that properly shuts the app down. i'm not sure if it'll prevent you from receiving message notifications lol.

anyhow, having apps running in the background all day definitely drains the battery.
    02-22-09 01:36 PM
    I have the application running in the background, along with a few other applications. Gmail was one of the first ones I installed, and surprised me with how it didn't drain my battery much at all. I don't think gmail is your issue.
    02-22-09 03:57 PM
    I agree that gmail is probably not the program you are having problems with. I have AIM and gmail running on the background everyday, and I get a full days worth of battery always.

02-22-09 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD