Hi all,
    Just downloaded and been playing with Google Sync for calendars.

I normally use Outlook to sync my calendar and other information (work-related mostly).

I'm trying to find a solution to share certain calendar things with my wife via a Google calendar setup. But the problem is that Google Sync sends everything from my BB Calendar to Google Cal... is there a way to make it send only one "set" of calendar information, for instance, the one set up with my gmail account? Or is there some other tool that would allow my wife and I to share calendar information on family-related things on our BBs and not fill each other up with our own work-related things? I looked into BB Unite! and don't like a lot of what I'm reading about that.

Thanks in advance for any set-up help with Google Sync or other ideas.
    07-01-08 03:36 PM
    I'm trying to work through the same details...

You could create a new gmail account and use that as the family calendar, sharing it. When you create an event on your BB calendar, use the family email address. You can share that Google calendar with your wife. Your business events will still be on your BB calendar and synced with your Outlook and your family stuff will be there, but not shared.

Believe me, I'm no Google calendar expert, but I think this will accomplish what you're trying to do.

Or I could be complicating matters. Anyone else?
    07-01-08 04:05 PM
    Abe, thanks for the tip. I think what you're describing is what I WANT to do, but I can't seem to make it work.

I can't stop business things from syncing to Google calendar. I don't see an option anywhere to choose only certain things to sync to Google calendar.
    07-01-08 04:18 PM
    Abe, thanks for the tip. I think what you're describing is what I WANT to do, but I can't seem to make it work.

I can't stop business things from syncing to Google calendar. I don't see an option anywhere to choose only certain things to sync to Google calendar.
    Have you looked here?

Open 'Google Sync'=>Menu key - scroll to Options=>scroll to 'Sync these Calendars'=> Menu key - Change Option

Here you should see a list of calenders to sync.
    07-01-08 04:29 PM
    Did you try making a new family Google account (sethmkfamily, for example) Under Google sync's options, you can then select which calendar to sync. It would only then sync the items created in the BB calendar using the sethmkfamily account. You can then set that calendar (sethmkfamily) up as shared with your wife. Obviously, googlesync will only sync up google account calendars.

At least in theory I think that should work.
    07-01-08 04:33 PM
    Thanks for trying to help. I feel like I'm just missing something very basic here. When I look at the options you suggest, I see different Google calendars to choose, but not different BB calendars. In other words, it seems my options are "sync my entire BB calendar with this or that Google calendar" where what I want is to choose among my BB calendar subsets. Am I missing something here?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-08 11:15 PM
    This is what I do. And this is basically what Abe posted.

I set up my wife with a Google account to access my calendars. I have 6 calendars on my account. On my account, I allow access to the calendars that I want my wife to see/use. (birthdays,doctors/dentist,holidays,etc) She in turn can do the same for me. She would be able to edit these. You set the permissions.

On her Google account, she can see my/our appointments or hide calendars that don't affect her schedule.

Now this is only a guess because my wife has doesn't have a berry. But she would then sync to her account and so, wouldn't even have the option of downloading my work schedule useless it was enabled.

Hope this helps.
    07-02-08 09:11 AM
    I think what sethmk is trying to do is not sync all his BES stuff from his bb to Google. He just wants his personal stuff on the google calendar and his bb is sending all the calendar info to Google, BES work stuff and personal.

I haven't figured a way to do this from your bb. The only way I have gotten it to work is all or nothing. If someone knows a way I am interested also.

Not to hijack but a question along these lines...If I set my wife up with gmail account so she can input her stuff and add her as a viewer on mine, will all this info be viewable on the google calendar and also on my bb? Basically, can she input her own info into a separate calendar and me be able to view it in my Google calendar and my bb?
    07-02-08 09:25 AM

Not to hijack but a question along these lines...If I set my wife up with gmail account so she can input her stuff and add her as a viewer on mine, will all this info be viewable on the google calendar and also on my bb? Basically, can she input her own info into a separate calendar and me be able to view it in my Google calendar and my bb?
    Yes. When I sync my berry to my Google Calendar, I have to option to download her calendar which is listed under Other Calendars. The berry will list all the calendars you see on your Google Calendar page. You decide which one's to download and for what time span.
    07-02-08 09:34 AM
    I think what sethmk is trying to do is not sync all his BES stuff from his bb to Google. He just wants his personal stuff on the google calendar and his bb is sending all the calendar info to Google, BES work stuff and personal.

I haven't figured a way to do this from your bb. The only way I have gotten it to work is all or nothing. If someone knows a way I am interested also.
    That's the way I read it as well. It's the same problem I've run in to and never found a workaround. It seems that gsync doesn't give an option to sync a subset of the BB calendars and perhaps it can't even tell where the appt is coming from (BES or BIS). It's "Sync these Calendars" option refers to which calendars at google should be sync'd, not which ones on the BB.
    07-02-08 01:08 PM
    I think we're all trying to solve the same thing and saying it different ways. I've been poking around both the Google calendar settings and BB menus, but haven't come up with any better solution. I'm not BES, so forgive me if I'm missing something, but when you create an event on the BB calendar when you're on BES, is it automatically created using your BES (i.e. Outlook) address? Would changing the "send using" to your gmail address (or the family/shared gmail address) keep BES items from syncing or does google sync automatically sync everything, no matter under which address the item was created?
    07-02-08 01:15 PM
    Google automatically syncs everything. No reference to how it was created on BB

Thanks all

07-02-08 01:53 PM
    Abe - like sethmk said, it syncs everything. Without BES though, you'd never see the problem.

I just reconfirmed by doing this with gsync 0.4.2 installed:
    1. Using BB, created appt on Desktop (BES) cal
    2. Using BB, created appt on BIS cal (using Send As option)
    3. Sent myself an Outlook request from my laptop (comes to BB via BES)
    4. Using Google Calendar on the web, created appt

Did a manual gsync since I had it set to manual. The result was that #4 showed up on the Desktop (BES) calendar (only) and then wirelessly sync'd to my laptop outlook. I guess #2 didn't show on google because it was created on the BB before the manual sync.

#3 showed up on the google web calendar. #4 showed up on the BB Desktop (BES) calendar. These weren't surprising results, but not what we want if we're trying to keep work and personal separate.

So, I tried setting my default calendar to be my BIS calendar via Options->Advanced->Default Services->Calendar:"google email" and repeated tests 1-4 with gsync set to automatic sync and got these results:
    #1 and #3 appeared on the google web calendar (not good) and the BB BES cal
    #2 was on the BB BIS calendar, but never appeared on the google web cal (strange)
    #3 appeared on the BB BIS calendar as well as the google web calendar (as expected)
    Bottom line, changing the default calendar didn't help.

Hope this makes sense.

Based on this, I think gsync needs an option to select which calendar on the BB to use. When it uses the default calendar only, things get mixed together. Like I said before, I'm not even positive if BBOS has an API to let gsync pick from just one calendar, so perhaps there's nothing google can do about it.

One other thing I (re)found - Options->Security->General->Message Background Colors helps you to visually see the diff between BES and BIS mail. I was thinking that was just an Empower option.
    07-02-08 03:29 PM
    Picture me, fingers in the air, folding them up and down to follow your "which went through" experiment. (Muttering, "Okay, 1 and 3 went through... 4 to desktop, ...")

Thanks for going through all that. I think we can all safely say that at this point, there really isn't a way to do what the OP was trying to do.
    07-02-08 03:52 PM
    Abe - like sethmk said, it syncs everything. Without BES though, you'd never see the problem.

I just reconfirmed by doing this with gsync 0.4.2 installed:
    1. Using BB, created appt on Desktop (BES) cal
    2. Using BB, created appt on BIS cal (using Send As option)
    3. Sent myself an Outlook request from my laptop (comes to BB via BES)
    4. Using Google Calendar on the web, created appt

Did a manual gsync since I had it set to manual. The result was that #4 showed up on the Desktop (BES) calendar (only) and then wirelessly sync'd to my laptop outlook. I guess #2 didn't show on google because it was created on the BB before the manual sync.

#3 showed up on the google web calendar. #4 showed up on the BB Desktop (BES) calendar. These weren't surprising results, but not what we want if we're trying to keep work and personal separate.

So, I tried setting my default calendar to be my BIS calendar via Options->Advanced->Default Services->Calendar:"google email" and repeated tests 1-4 with gsync set to automatic sync and got these results:
    #1 and #3 appeared on the google web calendar (not good) and the BB BES cal
    #2 was on the BB BIS calendar, but never appeared on the google web cal (strange)
    #3 appeared on the BB BIS calendar as well as the google web calendar (as expected)
    Bottom line, changing the default calendar didn't help.

Hope this makes sense.

Based on this, I think gsync needs an option to select which calendar on the BB to use. When it uses the default calendar only, things get mixed together. Like I said before, I'm not even positive if BBOS has an API to let gsync pick from just one calendar, so perhaps there's nothing google can do about it.

One other thing I (re)found - Options->Security->General->Message Background Colors helps you to visually see the diff between BES and BIS mail. I was thinking that was just an Empower option.

Clear as Mud. Picture me talking out loud at my desk and drawing on a piece of paper to try and follow. After 5 drawings and several coworkers phone calls to the local nut house, I have figured it out. We are just screwed. Everything on the bb goes to Gcal.

Actually I'm kidding. Thank you for your experiment. It has been very helpful to all of us.
    07-02-08 04:06 PM
    Picture me muttering trying to keep the tests and experiments straight and then trying to communicate it! And then, after all that, realizing how deep my OCD can get

07-02-08 04:10 PM
    ...several coworkers phone calls to the local nut house...
    Sorry I couldn't take the calls, stepped out for a minute to hit my head with bricks.

07-02-08 04:25 PM
    Yes, thank you for that great experiment. Now I know I'm not just missing something.

If only we could get Google or someone to do what we want them to do!
    07-03-08 01:39 PM
    This is my problem exactly, has anyone come up with a solution in the last 7 months?
    02-19-09 09:14 AM
    Not as far as I know, but don't have BES anymore so can't confirm. I thought I remembered the later versions of gsync don't let you choose the calendar to use and only use the default. That probably means the prob is still there.

02-19-09 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD